[MOD] [in progress] Dyes

neko259

[MOD] [in progress] Dyes

by neko259 » Post

I'm going to make a mod with dyes for wool and others. Before start, I have some questions:
@sapier: please tell me when you finish wool texture so that I can use it to make a coloured one.
@kahrl: can I register water-like liquids of different color? It would be nice to have coloured waterfalls and fountains :)

If anybody has more ideas for this, please tell me now.

Repository: https://bitbucket.org/neko259/minetest-dyes/overview
Last edited by neko259 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

For the liquids, register them like the default mod registers water_source and water_flowing (or lava_source and lava_flowing), and change the texture. To make buckets for the new liquids, call bucket.register_liquid (I don't have time right now but I can write some documentation about this function later).

Are you planning to make at least red, green, yellow, blue and orange dye? I have an idea that would benefit from them :)

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

Another thing to note is that the new liquids won't interact with the old liquids. So for example, green water won't flow into normal water nodes and change its color, it will treat it as a solid wall. You can try hacking around with ABMs, but it won't be perfect.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

kahrl wrote:Are you planning to make at least red, green, yellow, blue and orange dye? I have an idea that would benefit from them :)
I can make dyes from existing flowers and cactus for now. If some colors are missing, it is necessary to make new flower textures.
kahrl wrote:Another thing to note is that the new liquids won't interact with the old liquids.
That's normal for now. Maybe later I'll make them form some special node like in obsidian mod. But I don't have any ideas of what it could be.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Also, I would appreciate if sapier adds wool of all these colors (without crafting recipes) to his animalmaterials mod. It's a bit uncomfortable to use loops when every color of wool is registered as "dye:wool_color" and white one is "animalmaterials:wool_color".

neko259

by neko259 » Post

@kahrl: I use register_liquid function to register liquids and buckets. But I can't understand how it gets textures and descriptions for tooltips.

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

This mod sounds like it going to be fun :D
I love mods :D

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

kahrl wrote:For the liquids, register them like the default mod registers water_source and water_flowing (or lava_source and lava_flowing), and change the texture. To make buckets for the new liquids, call bucket.register_liquid (I don't have time right now but I can write some documentation about this function later).

Are you planning to make at least red, green, yellow, blue and orange dye? I have an idea that would benefit from them :)
automatic alpha blending ready (water alike) ?
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I think it depends on the texture. But I can't understand where to define it for now. I would appreciate if kahrl show me what to change (I've put a link to my repo).

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

neko259 wrote:
I think it depends on the texture. But I can't understand where to define it for now. I would appreciate if kahrl show me what to change (I've put a link to my repo).

Currently transparent water is managed by the client ... it is an option at login screen ... just applied on water not on lava ... may be a setting water alike in node definition ... Or does the half alpha blend texture is enough ?
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.