Steps or half height blocks

Michael Eh?
Member
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 17:21

Steps or half height blocks

by Michael Eh? » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:15

I miss half height blocks of that 'other' game. Jumping just to climb is wearing out my space bar. We need steps.

(Other gripes ... why does an steel block take 9 ignots? Shouldn't it take 4 like sandstone or clay block?)
(Bucket making doesn't work in 0.3.1 the stable version)

----mike---
Last edited by Michael Eh? on Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:32

++, everybody misses half-step, steps and slide blocks.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:36

Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

I think he stopped working onit while he was doing the new itemdef patches although I hope he gets around to finishing it at some point as I too miss steps and slabs not just for making stairs but also for decent looking roofs ^_^
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:48

dannydark wrote:Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

I think he stopped working onit while he was doing the new itemdef patches although I hope he gets around to finishing it at some point as I too miss steps and slabs not just for making stairs but also for decent looking roofs ^_^

Well then we'll wait for slabs and sound (^_^)

But I'd rather want the bugs fixed before implementing new features. New players are still invisible until server restart for me, and animals are disappearing from the farms (see bugs page on the wiki).
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
sfan5
Moderator
 
Posts: 3816
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 09:44
Location: Germany
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 15:01

Michael Eh? wrote:(Bucket making doesn't work in 0.3.1 the stable version)

Buckets are not implented in 0.3.1
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)
 

User avatar
Staffs
Member
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 13:16

by Staffs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 17:13

neko259 wrote:
dannydark wrote:Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

I think he stopped working onit while he was doing the new itemdef patches although I hope he gets around to finishing it at some point as I too miss steps and slabs not just for making stairs but also for decent looking roofs ^_^

Well then we'll wait for slabs and sound (^_^)

But I'd rather want the bugs fixed before implementing new features. New players are still invisible until server restart for me, and animals are disappearing from the farms (see bugs page on the wiki).


The sound is already done. Its just not implemented yet..
I love mods :D
 

User avatar
neko259
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 06:51

by neko259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 17:21

The sound is already done. Its just not implemented yet..

The bugs are already fixed, and steps are already modelled. They are just not implemented :D
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Wed Feb 01, 2012 19:32

Staffs wrote:
neko259 wrote:
dannydark wrote:Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

I think he stopped working onit while he was doing the new itemdef patches although I hope he gets around to finishing it at some point as I too miss steps and slabs not just for making stairs but also for decent looking roofs ^_^

Well then we'll wait for slabs and sound (^_^)

But I'd rather want the bugs fixed before implementing new features. New players are still invisible until server restart for me, and animals are disappearing from the farms (see bugs page on the wiki).


The sound is already done. Its just not implemented yet..


Sound isn't done, its still under active development. Same with the collision stuff from kahrl (I think).

From what I know there a few more things that need to be added to it before it will be classed as done ^_^
Last edited by dannydark on Wed Feb 01, 2012 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Calinou
Moderator
 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:26
Location: Troyes, France
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Feb 01, 2012 22:38

Custom collision, render boxes and stepheight should be done before 0.4 is released IMO.
 

Nemo08
Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:59

by Nemo08 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 22:53

Calinou wrote:Custom collision, render boxes and stepheight should be done before 0.4 is released IMO.

+1
 

User avatar
sfan5
Moderator
 
Posts: 3816
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 09:44
Location: Germany
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 05:59

Calinou wrote:Custom collision, render boxes and stepheight should be done before 0.4 is released IMO.

+1
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)
 

User avatar
xyz
Member
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 14:25
 

User avatar
qyron
Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 00:07
Location: Portugal

by qyron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:02

dannydark wrote:decent looking roofs ^_^


and why not go the extra length and introduce specifically made blocks for this, cut at a 45 degree angle (tile)?
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.
 

User avatar
rinoux
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15

by rinoux » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:08

qyron wrote:
dannydark wrote:decent looking roofs ^_^


and why not go the extra length and introduce specifically made blocks for this, cut at a 45 degree angle (tile)?

That would be great, but its maybe a technical problem ?
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:35

qyron wrote:
dannydark wrote:decent looking roofs ^_^


and why not go the extra length and introduce specifically made blocks for this, cut at a 45 degree angle (tile)?


This I would like very much indeed ^_^
 

Nemo08
Member
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 04:59

by Nemo08 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39


I think that we need halfblocks rather than stairs as a separate entity. But stairs needs too)))
Last edited by Nemo08 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
qyron
Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 00:07
Location: Portugal

by qyron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 14:18

rinoux wrote:That would be great, but its maybe a technical problem ?


Why would it be a technical problem?

Although, after posting, I went for a walk and realized that not all roofs have a 45 degree slope. Some have a 30 or 60 degree and other more unusual inclinations.

What I meant was to have a specific block - crafted, perhaps out of wood and/or clay or maybe even stone - to slide in as roofing tiles. I like building roofs in Minetest, but the overall look always seems... well, call it cracked. I feel as I'm putting a staircase on top of a house. I want things that step foot on my roof to fall off it, preferably in an uncontrollable and most probably painful fashion!

Which remembers me: clay is really underdeveloped! Presently, only clay bricks can be crafted out of it. Being clay such a versatile material, pots, vases, shingles, plates, cups and mugs and all sort of containers can be crafted out of it. BUT clay items should not be crafted neither in inventory nor in the furnace. Clay and food should only be cooked at a kiln.

A furnace is more adequate for heavy duty work: purifying metals, making alloys, forging tools, etc... Clay and food usually won't withstand the extreme temperatures a furnace is capable of developing. Splitting the present concept of "furnace" in Minetest into "kiln" and "furnace" would add depth to the game.
Last edited by qyron on Thu Feb 02, 2012 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Thu Feb 02, 2012 14:53

qyron wrote:
rinoux wrote:That would be great, but its maybe a technical problem ?


Why would it be a technical problem?

Although, after posting, I went for a walk and realized that not all roofs have a 45 degree slope. Some have a 30 or 60 degree and other more unusual inclinations.

What I meant was to have a specific block - crafted, perhaps out of wood and/or clay or maybe even stone - to slide in as roofing tiles. I like building roofs in Minetest, but the overall look always seems... well, call it cracked. I feel as I'm putting a staircase on top of a house. I want things that step foot on my roof to fall off it, preferably in an uncontrollable and most probably painful fashion!

Which remembers me: clay is really underdeveloped! Presently, only clay bricks can be crafted out of it. Being clay such a versatile material, pots, vases, shingles, plates, cups and mugs and all sort of containers can be crafted out of it. BUT clay items should not be crafted neither in inventory nor in the furnace. Clay and food should only be cooked at a kiln.

A furnace is more adequate for heavy duty work: purifying metals, making alloys, forging tools, etc... Clay and food usually won't withstand the extreme temperatures a furnace is capable of developing. Splitting the present concept of "furnace" in Minetest into "kiln" and "furnace" would add depth to the game.


I like the idea of adding a kiln ^_^ I also still think a workbench should be added and crafting in the inventory restricted (like in MC).

Someone also mentioned about a backpack I like the idea of this too you could have a small limited inventory without the backpack but having a backpack on would increase the inventory size to the current size or maybe slightly larger.
 

User avatar
qyron
Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 00:07
Location: Portugal

by qyron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 19:00

dannydark wrote:I like the idea of adding a kiln ^_^ I also still think a workbench should be added and crafting in the inventory restricted (like in MC).

Someone also mentioned about a backpack I like the idea of this too you could have a small limited inventory without the backpack but having a backpack on would increase the inventory size to the current size or maybe slightly larger.


thumbs up on that!
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.
 

sapier
Developer
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 18:17

by sapier » Thu Feb 02, 2012 22:58

Do we really need to copy any single aspect of mc?
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved
 

User avatar
Tim
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 22:21
Location: Bristol, England

by Tim » Fri Feb 03, 2012 03:00

sapier wrote:Do we really need to copy any single aspect of mc?


Well half slabs and steps are very useful blocks, wether they are from Minecraft or not. And the idea of a crafting bench means it is harder to craft items so you can't just go cave exploring forever. You probably couldn't create a furnace with your bare hands, but you could jam a bit of coal on a stick, for example.

Two thumbs up for a kiln and furnace over here. Any ideas for what clay items could be used for? Maybe clay buckets, or drinking vessels which heal a heart or two and have a couple of uses. Clay pots which you can plant flowers in would be cool (yes, I totally just stole that idea from Terraria)
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:39

sapier wrote:Do we really need to copy any single aspect of mc?


The thing is the game is way too easy at the moment, and minecrafts idea of having a workbench and a small inventory craft area is a lot more realistic, challenging and adds a lot to gameplay.

Just because minecraft has already got it doesn't mean we can't have it, Its a great idea and It would mean you would always have to have some wood to hand (to craft a workbench) or carry a workbench with you and protect it with your life like a companion cube when exploring caves.

Currently (like Tim mentioned above) you can go exploring caves and not have to worry about carrying a workbench as you can craft everything in your inventory which I just think makes "survival mode" less survival and more creative.

Its like with the inventory currently it works exactly like it does in MC (which isn't all bad) but thats why I think the backpack idea would be something that will set MT & MC apart while not ruining the game.

But I suppose this is just my opinion.
 

User avatar
qyron
Member
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 00:07
Location: Portugal

by qyron » Fri Feb 03, 2012 13:30

sapier wrote:Do we really need to copy any single aspect of mc?


I'm probably the number one advocate here when it comes to separate Minetest from Minecraft but this is not about copying the later but acknowledging good ideas when you see it and cropping the available inventory space we have presently available would only make the challenge aspect of the game step up.

Like others have stated before, as it is, Minetest is too easy. You can explore the world top to bottom without having to stop and care for anything beside having raw material at hand.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.
 

sapier
Developer
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 18:17

by sapier » Fri Feb 03, 2012 19:13

Ok Ok seems at least this aspect (crafting table) needs to be copied ;-)

BTW minetest wouldn't be that easy if you had animals mod making nights really dangerous ;-)
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved
 

User avatar
dannydark
Member
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 21:28
Location: Manchester, UK

by dannydark » Fri Feb 03, 2012 20:27

sapier wrote:Ok Ok seems at least this aspect (crafting table) needs to be copied ;-)

BTW minetest wouldn't be that easy if you had animals mod making nights really dangerous ;-)


Haha I do....and I also have several tiny houses all over the world as I brick myself in for the night ^_^ haha
 

Next

Return to Feature Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest