Steps or half height blocks

Michael Eh?

Steps or half height blocks

by Michael Eh? » Post

I miss half height blocks of that 'other' game. Jumping just to climb is wearing out my space bar. We need steps.

(Other gripes ... why does an steel block take 9 ignots? Shouldn't it take 4 like sandstone or clay block?)
(Bucket making doesn't work in 0.3.1 the stable version)

----mike---
Last edited by Michael Eh? on Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

++, everybody misses half-step, steps and slide blocks.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

I think he stopped working onit while he was doing the new itemdef patches although I hope he gets around to finishing it at some point as I too miss steps and slabs not just for making stairs but also for decent looking roofs ^_^

neko259

by neko259 » Post

dannydark wrote:Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

I think he stopped working onit while he was doing the new itemdef patches although I hope he gets around to finishing it at some point as I too miss steps and slabs not just for making stairs but also for decent looking roofs ^_^
Well then we'll wait for slabs and sound (^_^)

But I'd rather want the bugs fixed before implementing new features. New players are still invisible until server restart for me, and animals are disappearing from the farms (see bugs page on the wiki).

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote: (Bucket making doesn't work in 0.3.1 the stable version)
Buckets are not implented in 0.3.1
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

neko259 wrote:
dannydark wrote:Steps and slabs (half blocks) have actually already been made by Kahrl its part of his new collision system patch.

But I'd rather want the bugs fixed before implementing new features. New players are still invisible until server restart for me, and animals are disappearing from the farms (see bugs page on the wiki).
The sound is already done. Its just not implemented yet..
I love mods :D

neko259

by neko259 » Post

The bugs are already fixed, and steps are already modelled. They are just not implemented :D

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Staffs wrote:
neko259 wrote:

Sound isn't done, its still under active development. Same with the collision stuff from kahrl (I think).

From what I know there a few more things that need to be added to it before it will be classed as done ^_^
Last edited by dannydark on Wed Feb 01, 2012 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Custom collision, render boxes and stepheight should be done before 0.4 is released IMO.

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Post

Calinou wrote:Custom collision, render boxes and stepheight should be done before 0.4 is released IMO.
+1

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Calinou wrote:Custom collision, render boxes and stepheight should be done before 0.4 is released IMO.
+1
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

xyz

by xyz » Post

qyron

by qyron » Post

dannydark wrote:decent looking roofs ^_^
and why not go the extra length and introduce specifically made blocks for this, cut at a 45 degree angle (tile)?
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

qyron wrote:
and why not go the extra length and introduce specifically made blocks for this, cut at a 45 degree angle (tile)?
That would be great, but its maybe a technical problem ?

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

qyron wrote:
This I would like very much indeed ^_^

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Post

I think that we need halfblocks rather than stairs as a separate entity. But stairs needs too)))
Last edited by Nemo08 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

qyron

by qyron » Post

rinoux wrote:That would be great, but its maybe a technical problem ?
Why would it be a technical problem?

Although, after posting, I went for a walk and realized that not all roofs have a 45 degree slope. Some have a 30 or 60 degree and other more unusual inclinations.

What I meant was to have a specific block - crafted, perhaps out of wood and/or clay or maybe even stone - to slide in as roofing tiles. I like building roofs in Minetest, but the overall look always seems... well, call it cracked. I feel as I'm putting a staircase on top of a house. I want things that step foot on my roof to fall off it, preferably in an uncontrollable and most probably painful fashion!

Which remembers me: clay is really underdeveloped! Presently, only clay bricks can be crafted out of it. Being clay such a versatile material, pots, vases, shingles, plates, cups and mugs and all sort of containers can be crafted out of it. BUT clay items should not be crafted neither in inventory nor in the furnace. Clay and food should only be cooked at a kiln.

A furnace is more adequate for heavy duty work: purifying metals, making alloys, forging tools, etc... Clay and food usually won't withstand the extreme temperatures a furnace is capable of developing. Splitting the present concept of "furnace" in Minetest into "kiln" and "furnace" would add depth to the game.
Last edited by qyron on Thu Feb 02, 2012 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

qyron wrote:
rinoux wrote:That would be great, but its maybe a technical problem ?
Why would it be a technical problem?

Although, after posting, I went for a walk and realized that not all roofs have a 45 degree slope. Some have a 30 or 60 degree and other more unusual inclinations.

What I meant was to have a specific block - crafted, perhaps out of wood and/or clay or maybe even stone - to slide in as roofing tiles. I like building roofs in Minetest, but the overall look always seems... well, call it cracked. I feel as I'm putting a staircase on top of a house. I want things that step foot on my roof to fall off it, preferably in an uncontrollable and most probably painful fashion!

Which remembers me: clay is really underdeveloped! Presently, only clay bricks can be crafted out of it. Being clay such a versatile material, pots, vases, shingles, plates, cups and mugs and all sort of containers can be crafted out of it. BUT clay items should not be crafted neither in inventory nor in the furnace. Clay and food should only be cooked at a kiln.

A furnace is more adequate for heavy duty work: purifying metals, making alloys, forging tools, etc... Clay and food usually won't withstand the extreme temperatures a furnace is capable of developing. Splitting the present concept of "furnace" in Minetest into "kiln" and "furnace" would add depth to the game.
I like the idea of adding a kiln ^_^ I also still think a workbench should be added and crafting in the inventory restricted (like in MC).

Someone also mentioned about a backpack I like the idea of this too you could have a small limited inventory without the backpack but having a backpack on would increase the inventory size to the current size or maybe slightly larger.

qyron

by qyron » Post

dannydark wrote: I like the idea of adding a kiln ^_^ I also still think a workbench should be added and crafting in the inventory restricted (like in MC).

Someone also mentioned about a backpack I like the idea of this too you could have a small limited inventory without the backpack but having a backpack on would increase the inventory size to the current size or maybe slightly larger.
thumbs up on that!

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Do we really need to copy any single aspect of mc?
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Tim

by Tim » Post

sapier wrote:Do we really need to copy any single aspect of mc?
Well half slabs and steps are very useful blocks, wether they are from Minecraft or not. And the idea of a crafting bench means it is harder to craft items so you can't just go cave exploring forever. You probably couldn't create a furnace with your bare hands, but you could jam a bit of coal on a stick, for example.

Two thumbs up for a kiln and furnace over here. Any ideas for what clay items could be used for? Maybe clay buckets, or drinking vessels which heal a heart or two and have a couple of uses. Clay pots which you can plant flowers in would be cool (yes, I totally just stole that idea from Terraria)

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

The thing is the game is way too easy at the moment, and minecrafts idea of having a workbench and a small inventory craft area is a lot more realistic, challenging and adds a lot to gameplay.

Just because minecraft has already got it doesn't mean we can't have it, Its a great idea and It would mean you would always have to have some wood to hand (to craft a workbench) or carry a workbench with you and protect it with your life like a companion cube when exploring caves.

Currently (like Tim mentioned above) you can go exploring caves and not have to worry about carrying a workbench as you can craft everything in your inventory which I just think makes "survival mode" less survival and more creative.

Its like with the inventory currently it works exactly like it does in MC (which isn't all bad) but thats why I think the backpack idea would be something that will set MT & MC apart while not ruining the game.

But I suppose this is just my opinion.

qyron

by qyron » Post

I'm probably the number one advocate here when it comes to separate Minetest from Minecraft but this is not about copying the later but acknowledging good ideas when you see it and cropping the available inventory space we have presently available would only make the challenge aspect of the game step up.

Like others have stated before, as it is, Minetest is too easy. You can explore the world top to bottom without having to stop and care for anything beside having raw material at hand.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Ok Ok seems at least this aspect (crafting table) needs to be copied ;-)

BTW minetest wouldn't be that easy if you had animals mod making nights really dangerous ;-)
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

sapier wrote:Ok Ok seems at least this aspect (crafting table) needs to be copied ;-)

BTW minetest wouldn't be that easy if you had animals mod making nights really dangerous ;-)
Haha I do....and I also have several tiny houses all over the world as I brick myself in for the night ^_^ haha