qwook's Mac OSX Builds

qwook

qwook's Mac OSX Builds

by qwook » Post

I just recently heard of what you guys were doing and saw that you needed a Mac OSX build.
I had to add some minor changes to the source in order for it to work, but the end-product is great and functional.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ag3dggfmxakf8eo
https://github.com/qwook/minetest
Last edited by qwook on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Awesome, although I don't own a Mac!
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

pheonixfire
In-game: pheonix

by pheonixfire » Post

Thanks for the build
I had been trying to compile it without success for a while

pheonixfire

qwook

by qwook » Post

Here's 0.4.6, with Survival and Build mode.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7x7u40ho6b05ajh
Last edited by qwook on Thu Apr 04, 2013 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

YAY! Finally! Qwook, you're awesome!

qwook

by qwook » Post

Haha, thanks.

I just need someone to update the links so that they're labeled by version numbers, and I can't edit the OP for some reason. It tells me that I can't have more than two links.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

qwook wrote:Haha, thanks.

I just need someone to update the links so that they're labeled by version numbers, and I can't edit the OP for some reason. It tells me that I can't have more than two links.
Get 5 more posts qwook and, you can since only a Member can use, more links and, photos.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

JimmyNixon2636

by JimmyNixon2636 » Post

It works me now! :)

12Me22

by 12Me22 » Post

It seems that shift does not work to go down ladders.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

You should do a Macintosh build of 0.4.7, qwook. There are people that need one.

HolyPhoenix

by HolyPhoenix » Post

hey qwook! Thanks so much for doing this. I am with Inocudom wondering if you can do a Mac build for 4.7. I'd like to make my server available to people on macs, but also want to upgrade to 4.7.

If you had instructions on how you got it to build, that would also be awesome as well. My wife has a Mac that I can use to get them built in the future.

Again, thinks for your work. I appreciate it a lot!

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

I doubt qwook is still around.

PS: It's 0.4.7, not 4.7.

Jlhmad

by Jlhmad » Post

OH YES! THANK YOU QWOOK

qwook

by qwook » Post

I'm probably not going to support Minetest for Mac anymore.

The are many reasons for why I don't plan on supporting it.
One of the reasons is because Minetest isn't different enough gameplay-wise from Minecraft for me, now that's for me. For other people, there's a clear difference, but I just don't see it.

Another is because modding Minetest is a mess, as the C++ side looks like the code of someone who just switched over from C and isn't used to OOP.

The Lua API is also a mess, and it looks like it was implemented by someone who doesn't know what userdata is and what custom classes are, you are forced to give reference indexes instead of calling methods.

Speed is highly negligible. Minecraft's JVM is JIT-compiled, if I recall correctly, and so it isn't interpreted, but instead translated into machine code. That means that the JVM is just as fast as C++.

Even if Minecraft modding isn't official, the modding is much more supported and much cleaner.

Sorry for ranting and going off-topic, I probably should have just said that I wasn't supporting it and be done, but I felt like the community and the project needed a little slap.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

LOL.
You dont have much coding experience, do you?

qwook

by qwook » Post

I'd rather not submit my resume, but all I've probably had around 5~7 years experience in C++ and C, and am currently taking classes in my college for Java.

You should check out projects like Love2D if you really want to see better lua API structures. I'd say look at Garry's Mod as well, but it really falls under it's own style of lua.

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

Huh. I skimmed some tutorials on both and they don't look very different from the minetest API. Can you please elaborate?

HolyPhoenix

by HolyPhoenix » Post

qwook wrote:I'd rather not submit my resume, but all I've probably had around 5~7 years experience in C++ and C, and am currently taking classes in my college for Java.

You should check out projects like Love2D if you really want to see better lua API structures. I'd say look at Garry's Mod as well, but it really falls under it's own style of lua.

MM.... Some things in the code are kind "eh" to me too, but it isn't extremely bad from just glossing over it. I've seen much worse. Not sure about the LUA, since I have never actually touched LUA.

With that said, you said it was quite easy to get working with just a few small code changes(which means at least the code is programmed to support multiple platforms really easily, which is a very good thing programmatically). I'll run a compare on your branch against the 4.6 branch and see if I can't get 4.7 building on mac myself. Again, thanks for doing 4.6. I appreciate that and am sorry to hear your disagreements with the Minetest.

Also going to have to look into this JIT compilation. It's been a while since I used Java(my newest job uses C#) but it sounds really interesting if it does what you say.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Post

Here's a mostly working version of 4.7 for osx:

https://github.com/Omnistudent/osxminecraft/

branch

working_compile10nov

You can get it by making a new directory and running

git clone -b working_compile10nov https://github.com/Omnistudent/osxminecraft/ minetest

The main problem was in porting.h, where you have to make a workaround for a get_realtime or somesuch which osx doens't have.