[Mod] Lights+ [12112013] [lightsplus]

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

nikminers wrote:BTW any idea how to make the lights brighter? Which part of which file do I alter?
As far as I could see from a quick look, the lights are already at maximum. The maximum amount of brightness that a light can have is 14, any value higher and the game just substitutes 14 for it. Only the sun is allowed to be 15. To make them brighter, would probably require a lot of code and slow down the game majorly because you would be changing the lighting on every node in an area around every light. That or else some changes made to the base game code would have to be made and it doesn't seem likely or at least high on the features list.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

Ok, I managed to get the slab lights working. Here is a link to a mediafire account that has the file. Sorry about mediafire but fileden kept erroring out when I tried to register and dropbox says that is free for only 14 days. So I went with mediafire. I didn't want to use a site that needed me to download something to use it either. So here is the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?37haa5tuu8dwcic

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Thanks for providing this mod again!

nikminers

by nikminers » Post

LionsDen wrote:Ok, I managed to get the slab lights working. Here is a link to a mediafire account that has the file. Sorry about mediafire but fileden kept erroring out when I tried to register and dropbox says that is free for only 14 days. So I went with mediafire. I didn't want to use a site that needed me to download something to use it either. So here is the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?37haa5tuu8dwcic

Thanks, this is awesome!

nikminers

by nikminers » Post

I have 1 prob with Lights+, the full nodes are remarkably dim and ugly when used beside any other light from the mod. Is there any way to fix this?

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

It's an optical illusion and possibly the way minetest shades things. Here is a photo from above.

And here is a side by side shot.

From the above shot, we can see that they put out the same amount of light. From the side by side, we can see that they are shaded lightly on the sides. This makes them darker looking, especially the large block because there is more surface on the sides to make it noticable. I tried with a completely white (255,255,255) color and the shades are still there. If you want the complete white texture, it is here --> Image <--. Just right click it and save image as and save it with the name lightsplus_light.png in your minetest\textures\all folder and it will override the original texture. Or you could just save it in your minetest\mods\newlights\textures folder and overwrite the original texture. But it wont help you much.

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

Reuploaded to Mediafire with gold lights.

nikminers

by nikminers » Post

Awesome. Willl the new version support the old? Just don't feel like replacing every light in my cities, gets annoying after the first few skyscrapers.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

nikminers wrote:Awesome. Willl the new version support the old? Just don't feel like replacing every light in my cities, gets annoying after the first few skyscrapers.
Not really, the old version is named lightsplus, the new version is newlights. I changed mine just in case he/she did re-enable the download. I didn't want them to conflict. Plus he/she has other items in the newer version and now has gold lights. I probably wont be continuing mine because I just did mine so that people could have some version of this. If there is a way to change the lights globally from one version to the other, I don't know it yet. I'm still learning the modding by trying things out with other peoples mods. Sorry about that. If I ever find out how to do the replace object, I will create something to do it and put out a link.
Last edited by LionsDen on Mon Jul 15, 2013 06:13, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

I think you can do this thing called an alias which allows one type of node to be changed for another or something like that.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Nice mod, Q! Added to the list of mods for my server (coming soon) :)

qwrwed

by qwrwed » Post

Thanks, webdesigner :)
LionsDen, I have added your lights to the mod and aliased them (any lights from your modification will be changed to the lights in this mod which are exactly the same apart from the name). By the way, so you don't have to keep using he/she, I'm a he.

LionsDen

by LionsDen » Post

qwrwed wrote:Thanks, webdesigner :)
LionsDen, I have added your lights to the mod and aliased them (any lights from your modification will be changed to the lights in this mod which are exactly the same apart from the name). By the way, so you don't have to keep using he/she, I'm a he.
Thanks, I had seen the alias but my playing with it didn't seem to do anything and I hadn't needed it yet so I hadn't tried any searches about it yet.

I do have to say my slab lights look slightly different and work slightly different from yours. I made them thinner because I didn't like the looks of the half height slab. I also removed the inverted slab because my slab will properly hang upside down. If you want to use any of my code, feel free. :)

qwrwed

by qwrwed » Post

I have - I had to in order to alias them. It might seem like it doesn't do anything, but it just means that if you switch from newlights to lightsplus, there won't be any unknown blocks and they will work exactly the same.
(I also added it because I liked the idea/appearance and it is more convenient than having to craft one of the 3 slabs that were in my mod. I would change mine to the same style but I would have to change 3 different nodes into one while still keeping them facing the same direction, which I don't know how to do.)
(EDIT: I did change them to the same style.)
License is WTFPL, textures are by VanessaE and paramat, code for flat lights is by LionsDen.
Last edited by qwrwed on Tue Nov 12, 2013 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

qwrwed

by qwrwed » Post

Uploaded to Github

qwrwed

by qwrwed » Post

Big update: code is almost completely rewritten to be more efficient thanks to Kaeza. There are now only two types of slab light (normal and gold) which act like Stairs+ slabs when you place them, but this might make already existing slab/flat lights lose their orientation. I have kept the old version in case anyone wants to keep their lights as they are.

Minearriatest

by Minearriatest » Post

Nice mod, I like the fact you included some nodes which are not just 1x1x1 but more are more of a complex shape(1x1x0.5 ect...)
Minetest user name: asg
Try out some mods which I contributed in:
Jungle Tools(made) Ice + Magma Tools(contributed) Ultimate Tools(made)

specopsbarton

by specopsbarton » Post

Hey, this is really nice mod! I run it at my server, ver 4.9 but there is a problem.
Once I put a white light node, it doesn't disappear from inventory or not getting substracted
from inventory...I can have unlimited Lights :/
Any ideas?
True Christian don't fight with evil, but transforms it to good on Cross, only on Cross.

qwrwed

by qwrwed » Post

Thanks!
Are you using creative mode?
And which type of white light?

EDIT: I see what you mean; I will look into this when I have the time.
Last edited by qwrwed on Wed Jan 15, 2014 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

qwrwed

by qwrwed » Post

specopsbarton wrote:Hey, this is really nice mod! I run it at my server, ver 4.9 but there is a problem.
Once I put a white light node, it doesn't disappear from inventory or not getting substracted
from inventory...I can have unlimited Lights :/
Any ideas?
Fixed. Thanks for notifying me of this bug.

specopsbarton

by specopsbarton » Post

No problem ;)
True Christian don't fight with evil, but transforms it to good on Cross, only on Cross.

Mihobre

Re: [Mod] Lights+ [12112013] [lightsplus]

by Mihobre » Post

this is one of my favorite mods ever. it makes lighting a hundred times easier. it's a fucking BLESSING. i've been using this for years and I never got to thank you. so thank you :3 wow im so cheesy