Rmoved?

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Wed Feb 20, 2013 09:26

Gambit wrote:I think the DM should have its aggressive attitude back, but I think everyone would agree that the DM's fire blast needs to be nerfed to a point where it cannot destroy certain objects (or destroy no objects at all).

Definitely. Personally, I think no destruction, or perhaps destruction of only flammable nodes would be best.

celeron55 wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:They were removed because celeron55 thought they were "boring"

Ehm... What the fuck? Why are you even saying such blatant lies that you probably know are lies yourself too?

They were removed because the mapgen was reworked based on an older version, and then they weren't added back because since then, making mapgen more controllable from Lua has been on the to-do lists. Needless to say, that hasn't had too much progress for a year.

I'm all in for adding the old jungles (and dungeons) back, but other people have been working on mapgen-related stuff so I haven't wanted to go mess with it. Maybe I'll do that some day because of requests. Or somebody else can; the branches that I recently made are free to use and/or merge.

On a related note, a properly recreated DM (and the rat) would be fine too. It just seems nobody (including me) is up to putting the amount of polish in a re-implementation that I did to the original C++ version...

There seems to be a rumour that you thought they were boring, so you removed them. I actually believed it myself, but I'm glad to hear you don't actually feel that way. Rubenwardy probably heard the rumour and believed it as well.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 14:12

Whether or not c55 considers jungles to be truly boring, I believe this excerpt from #minetest-delta (http://logs.2pktfkt.de/minetest-delta/2012-04-03.html) is what everyone's latched onto:

#13:38 <celeron55> and no, jungles are not generated
#13:39 <Calinou> will you re-add them or just remove them
#13:39 <celeron55> dunno
#13:40 <celeron55> they were pretty boring; i won't add them as-is
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 14:49

celeron55 wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:They were removed because celeron55 thought they were "boring"

Ehm... What the fuck? Why are you even saying such blatant lies that you probably know are lies yourself too?

They were removed because the mapgen was reworked based on an older version, and then they weren't added back because since then, making mapgen more controllable from Lua has been on the to-do lists. Needless to say, that hasn't had too much progress for a year.

I'm all in for adding the old jungles (and dungeons) back, but other people have been working on mapgen-related stuff so I haven't wanted to go mess with it. Maybe I'll do that some day because of requests. Or somebody else can; the branches that I recently made are free to use and/or merge.

On a related note, a properly recreated DM (and the rat) would be fine too. It just seems nobody (including me) is up to putting the amount of polish in a re-implementation that I did to the original C++ version...

Slander

VanessaE wrote:Whether or not c55 considers jungles to be truly boring, I believe this excerpt from #minetest-delta (http://logs.2pktfkt.de/minetest-delta/2012-04-03.html) is what everyone's latched onto:

#13:38 <celeron55> and no, jungles are not generated
#13:39 <Calinou> will you re-add them or just remove them
#13:39 <celeron55> dunno
#13:40 <celeron55> they were pretty boring; i won't add them as-is

Yes, that is right
Last edited by rubenwardy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 15:59

it is a swamp mod but i mean have the old trees back. it is much quickr when they were generated in C
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 16:00

As minetest build. It has advanced shaders

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed Feb 20, 2013 17:11

Though I too like the jungles and dungeons, I also like deserts and sound effects. Deserts are interesting because they have their own ground and rock types, and sound effects make the game more interesting (especially when the ambience mod is installed.) I also like all of the improvements that the latest git builds of 0.4.4 offer. It is not impossible for modders to add new types of plants to the deserts to decorate them more (I asked VanessaE to do so when she can.) Jungles will need a few improvements, and I believe Hybrid Dog's swamp mod gives a few examples. The mod's swamps use bigger jungle trees and have their own ground and rock types. If dungeons are brought back, the blocks they are made out of could depend on the biomes they are in.

PilzAdam's simple_mobs mod and sapier's animals_modpack mod have dungeon masters and rats in them, though only simple_mobs has oerkkis (I will ask sapier if he can make a version of them for his mod.) Animals_modpack gives mobs 3D models and has more of them, while simple_mobs has a small number of mobs and maintains a classic look.
Recovering from the abomination I am. Clocking time for Garry's Mod I am too.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 17:14

Inocudom wrote:Though I too like the jungles and dungeons, I also like deserts and sound effects. Deserts are interesting because they have their own ground and rock types, and sound effects make the game more interesting (especially when the ambience mod is installed.) I also like all of the improvements that the latest git builds of 0.4.4 offer. It is not impossible for modders to add new types of plants to the deserts to decorate them more (I asked VanessaE to do so when she can.) Jungles will need a few improvements, and I believe Hybrid Dog's swamp mod gives a few examples. The mod's swamps use bigger jungle trees and have their own ground and rock types. If dungeons are brought back, the blocks they are made out of could depend on the biomes they are in.

PilzAdam's simple_mobs mod and sapier's animals_modpack mod have dungeon masters and rats in them, though only simple_mobs has oerkkis (I will ask sapier if he can make a version of them for his mod.) Animals_modpack gives mobs 3D models and has more of them, while simple_mobs has a small number of mobs and maintains a classic look.
I looked at the dungeons for previous builds and they are like actual underground bases.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 19:07

Hybrid Dog wrote:the map
seed = 0?

What minetest build is that? It has shaders

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 19:52

here is the most recent version with mobs, dungeons, and jungles http://c55.me/minetest/oldsite/packages/win32/minetest-0.4.dev-20120122-1-win32.zip
older versions of the dev can be found here http://c55.me/minetest/oldsite/packages/win32/
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Menche

by Menche » Wed Feb 20, 2013 23:05

rubenwardy wrote:
seed = 0?

I *think* he gimped the screenshot.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45

Menche wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:
seed = 0?

I *think* he gimped the screenshot.