Camera rotation bug.

Igor47
In-game: Igor47

Camera rotation bug.

by Igor47 » Post

Hi everyone.
I just joined the forums, and my English suck, so I hope you'll understand everything I'll try to explain.

I played Minetest 0.4.12 on my laptop without any problems.
When I updated it to 0.4.13, I ran into a problem...
Whenever I move my mouse just a little bit, camera starts spinning slowly and endlessly in the direction I moved my mouse.
I searched some info about this bug previously, and the only solution I found was switching to fullscreen, but that does not help at all.
However, when I use touchpad, it runs flawlessly, but it is uncomfortable.

My specs:
Intel Core i7 4710HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860m
8GB Ram
Windows 10

EDIT:
I ACCIDENTALLY fixed that bug by messing around in registry.
I had a little issue with my touchpad. When I type or hold any button, cursor stops moving. So to disable that, I had to switch some values with regedit, and after I rebooted my laptop, I noticed that there is no more problems with rotation, and I am unable to reproduce the bug.
Last edited by Igor47 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Re: Camera rotation bug.

by Dragonop » Post

You have Cinematic mode enabled maybe? Push F8 to enable/disable it.

Igor47

by Igor47 » Post

No, cinematic mode is disabled. But it also occures during cinematic mode.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It does sound like camera smoothing causes it. (Camera smoothing was added at the same time as cinematic mode).

What type of mouse do you use? Just a normal optical one?

At a guess I'd say there's a rounding error somewhere.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Igor47

by Igor47 » Post

I am using normal optical mouse.
Is there way to disable camera smoothing?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

It should be disabled by default.

What fps do you get?

Hello profile reader

Igor47

by Igor47 » Post

Are there any fixes?
Or should I wait for 0.4.14?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I can't fix it without some more info about why it works on my computer but not yours. When I make a fix, it should be in 0.4.14 or you would be able to get it by using a dev version.

What fps do you get? This is important as it effects how much the code is run per second.

I wrote the camera smoothing code, and was afaik the last person to touch this area.

Hello profile reader

Igor47

by Igor47 » Post

FPS is another thingy I want to argue about. Like its really low and unstable on my laptop(specs above), and I guess it caused by continious loanding and unloading chunks.It ranges from 15 to 25 fps in jungle area.
Setting Min and Max render distances will stabilize fps alot, so it would be great to have that option in settings menu.
Using paramats Watershed mod , and generating custom terrain and equalizing min and max render distances, I get 60-50 fps.

EDIT:
I ACCIDENTALLY fixed that bug by messing around in registry.
I had a little issue with my touchpad. When I type or hold any button, cursor stops moving. So to disable that, I had to switch some values with regedit, and after I rebooted my laptop, I noticed that there is no more problems with rotation, and I am unable to reproduce the bug.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Minetest is undergoing some major performance improvements, so things should get better performance wise. Until then one thing you can do is use a LuaJIT build, that should help a lot with loading time and heavy mod like mobs redo.

wilkgr76
GitHub: wilkgr76

by wilkgr76 » Post

Igor47 wrote:Hi everyone.
I just joined the forums, and my English suck, so I hope you'll understand everything I'll try to explain.

I played Minetest 0.4.12 on my laptop without any problems.
When I updated it to 0.4.13, I ran into a problem...
Whenever I move my mouse just a little bit, camera starts spinning slowly and endlessly in the direction I moved my mouse.
I searched some info about this bug previously, and the only solution I found was switching to fullscreen, but that does not help at all.
However, when I use touchpad, it runs flawlessly, but it is uncomfortable.

My specs:
Intel Core i7 4710HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860m
8GB Ram
Windows 10
Try disabling the option "Improve pointer precision" in Windows mouse settings. Worked for me.
N/A

AspireMint
GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Post

roku wrote:So if you have an option to hit ctrl "to show position of cursor" you'll find the cursor is off center slightly and that's why the screen rotates. Resizing the window in the direction that puts the cursor in the middle of the screen fixes the problem. This bug appears to be caused by the 3d engine not properly placing the mouse in the center. It is within the crosshair, so it's pretty close to being centered, but obviously not within an acceptable margin.

It is a bug in the software and should be brought to the attention of someone like PilzAdam, even if it needs to be reported up to irrlicht or whatever.

Normally you wouldn't play minetest with a touchpad but to get on temporarily (or as your only option) I think the game should play as expected.

On another note I thought it was always reproducible, even after restarting the game from a "fixed" state, but I was playing around with my window manager, restarting it a couple times, and the behavior is temporarily not reproducible. I assume a full restart would cause the bug to reappear.

The same bug can be found here: viewtopic.php?id=1267

Steps to reproduce:
Play minetest with a touchpad in windowed mode

Behavior:
The screen will rotate in one direction

Expected Behavior:
The mouse cursor should be in the middle of the screen and the screen should not rotate unless the mouse is moved.

Workaround:
Resizing the screen in the direction it is rotating will center the cursor and stop the screen from rotating.

Additional notes:
No mouse or touchpad related settings will fix the problem. I thought it might have something to do with "edge scrolling" or "disable touchpad while typing" but the position of the mouse remains unaffected regardless of which combination of options you select or deselect.
(from thread: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=6218)

Yes, i had same bug: "This bug appears to be caused by the 3d engine not properly placing the mouse in the center. It is within the crosshair, so it's pretty close to being centered, but obviously not within an acceptable margin."
FIX: If you are using Win10, right-click minetest.exe ---> Properties ---> Compatibility ---> check Override high DPI scaling behavior. and choose Scaling performed by: Application
This also fix blurry fonts etc.