[Mod] EM Dungeon Generator [em_dungeon_gen]

eduardomezencio

GitHub: eduardomezencio

[Mod] EM Dungeon Generator [em_dungeon_gen]

by eduardomezencio » Sat Sep 26, 2015 02:44

This mod generates an infinite dungeon world. Actually it stops generating a little above y = 0 so that you can look it from above, but this can be changed by removing one line from the source.

For now it's nothing very exciting, but I want to use this in a nice game that I'm still planning, a game with a darker tone, that does not involve crafting or placing and removing blocks. I'll let you guys know when I really start working on the game (if it happens someday...)

One thing before you try it: it is very dark, because torches are kinda rare. This is intentional, though. Makes the thing more creepy.

Here are some screenshots:

+ Spoiler

Github: https://github.com/eduardomezencio/em_dungeon_gen
Zip: https://github.com/eduardomezencio/em_d ... master.zip

Report bugs on the github issue tracker. There's a known bug right now: viewtopic.php?p=193110#p193110 . If you can help, please do.

License: GPLv3

That's it for now.
Last edited by eduardomezencio on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:42, edited 4 times in total.

Don

GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: [WIP] Dungeon Test [dungeontest]

by Don » Sat Sep 26, 2015 04:06

Cool. Can't wait for the game. I am working on a game and know how hard it can be. Keep it going. Looking forward to see the game.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 08:16

Ouch.. I was planning using this name as well, I even made a menu logo for it. I'm working in something similar.
+ Spoiler

I'm sorry.. maybe I'm hijacking your thread.. perhaps I should write instead a topic already in the "games" section though it's earlier than I had wished for.

EDIT: Done! :) viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13317
Last edited by Ferk on Sun Sep 27, 2015 19:59, edited 4 times in total.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Sane

GitHub: mt-sane
In-game: Sane

by Sane » Sat Sep 26, 2015 08:49

Maybe you both could join forces and bring a brilliant dungeon crawl to mt?
Trying to stay me.

Ferk

by Ferk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 09:50

Sane wrote:Maybe you both could join forces and bring a brilliant dungeon crawl to mt?

I don't know, I like the idea of a more organic and darker dungeon that is truely random. Maybe it would be cool if both ideas develop in different directions and we get 2 different games in their own accord. My structure is too grid-y and inflexible. The rooms might be repetitive because there are not that many room options in the set right now (though I hope that would be fixed at some point). It's also not very cheap to generate because it spawns a schematic on every room.

My idea is more towards a more nethack-like kind of game. each layer of rooms has special rooms that spawn ladders going up to the upper level or down to the one below at specific positions. I depend on the grid being a particular way, otherwise it becomes messy to do in an "infinite" fashion (to be fair, initially I didn't plan the dungeon to be infinite). if I introduced a more organic distribution there's a chance the stairs to the lower level will be blocked and since the walls are indestructible that wouldn't be nice.

Though, perhaps I could make it so some particular layers of the dungeon generate differently, and use different approaches in those. Like a special "catacombs" level.
Last edited by Ferk on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Sane

GitHub: mt-sane
In-game: Sane

by Sane » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:00

Ferk wrote:
Sane wrote:Maybe you both could join forces and bring a brilliant dungeon crawl to mt?

I don't know, I like the idea of a more organic and darker dungeon that is truely random. Maybe it would be cool if someone else uses a different approach. Mine is too squarish, everything in a grid and the rooms are repetitive because there are not that many room options in the set right now. It's also not very cheap to generate because it spawns a schematics on every room.

My idea is also more towards a more nethack-like kind of game. each layer of rooms has special rooms that spawn ladders doing up to the upper level or down to the one below at specific positions. I depend on the grid being a particular way, otherwise it becomes messy if I introduced a more organic distribution there's a chance the stairs to the lower level will be blocked and since the walls are indestructible that wouldn't be nice.

Just can't wait to see both the Dungeon Tests emerge and evolve than.

Uhm, about the topic hogging ... maybe you should actually open a separate thread in wip worlds.
Trying to stay me.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sat Sep 26, 2015 15:17

Dragonop wrote:This might help, kinda old to.
https://github.com/celeron55/dungeon

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Ferk wrote:Ouch.. I was planning using this name as well, I even made a menu logo for it. I'm working in something similar.

Don't worry. As I said, this name was just a placeholder.. I'm going to change it now that I know about your game. And, by the way, it looks nice! I hope we can both finish these projects into full playable games.

With my game I think I'm going to do the following: first I'll finish this mod, at least making it ready for a initial release. Then I'm going to write down everything that I want for my game, kinda like a simplified design document and I'll publish this document here in the forums. I want to make a plan that is not too complex.. a game that is just enough to be playable. Then, with all planned I'll start coding everything else and hope that people in the community help with some parts, since the project plan will be open.with some parts.

In short, instead of focussing in making a very complex game, I just want to focus in releasing something, and then making it better slowly after.

eduardomezencio

Re: [WIP] EM Dungeon Generator [em_dungeon_gen]

by eduardomezencio » Sat Sep 26, 2015 16:19

Update: Changed the name of the mod. Since I don't know yet the name of the game that will use this mod, I just decided to use a very specific and descriptive name, so it will never conflict with other projects.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 19:40

Interesting i wil try this out soon, i love dungeon generators.

kaadmy

GitHub: kaadmy
IRC: KaadmY
In-game: KaadmY kaadmy NeD

by kaadmy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 22:52

Guess what...
I was in the process of making a dungeon crawler recently O_O
I already made quite a bit of art for it, and I can share the art, if you'd like.
The art fits the Minetest 0.3 style better.
Never paint white stripes on roads near Zebra crossings.

Pixture

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sat Sep 26, 2015 23:31

God.. lots of dungeon generators here... I would love to take a look at the art, even if just for inspiration. I'm yet to think about art for my game.

You guys shoud post whatever you have ready... it's nice to see what others are working on.

FreeLikeGNU

GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

cd2

GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

Ferk

by Ferk » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:28

cd2 wrote:Hmm, this looks like my rooms mod...

Your rooms mod was a trigger for me to start working on my Dungeontest game, I bet that has something to do with eduardomezencio and me comming up with this in the same timeframe :P

I had been having the idea on my mind for a while, but seeing your mod and how simple it was made me start fiddling with the map generation.

However, my code doesn't look anything close to your mapgen, since I'm following a different approach.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sun Sep 27, 2015 13:24

Ferk wrote:

Your rooms mod was a trigger for me to start working on my Dungeontest game, I bet that has something to do with eduardomezencio and me comming up with this in the same timeframe :P

I had been having the idea on my mind for a while, but seeing your mod and how simple it was made me start fiddling with the map generation.

However, my code doesn't look anything close to your mapgen, since I'm following a different approach.

Yes, same here. Seeing your mod was the trigger for me to start working on this one, but this one is also another different approach.

cd2

GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 14:49

eduardomezencio wrote:
Ferk wrote:

Yes, same here. Seeing your mod was the trigger for me to start working on this one, but this one is also another different approach.

Ok i just wanted to know that :)

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 16:20

eduardomezencio wrote:God.. lots of dungeon generators here... I would love to take a look at the art, even if just for inspiration. I'm yet to think about art for my game.

You guys shoud post whatever you have ready... it's nice to see what others are working on.

Here's my current art(Not the best, but a starting point):
3.png
(347.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet

2.png
(355.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet

1.png
(289.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Pixture

Ferk

by Ferk » Sun Sep 27, 2015 20:06

kaadmy wrote:Here's my current art(Not the best, but a starting point)

It looks nice. I didn't know you could use 2D sprites for the players (I'm a newcomer, relatively). Having a different style does set it apart from other minetest games. It might be a lot of work to redo all the graphics, though.

eduardomezencio wrote:You guys shoud post whatever you have ready... it's nice to see what others are working on.

Ok, I've just done that: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13317

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Sun Sep 27, 2015 20:41

kaadmy wrote:
eduardomezencio wrote:God.. lots of dungeon generators here... I would love to take a look at the art, even if just for inspiration. I'm yet to think about art for my game.

Here's my current art(Not the best, but a starting point):
3.png

2.png

1.png

The 2D sprite for the player looks perfect! I hope you guys manage to get all the support you need to complete these games. Minetest needs games that get out of the craft/build/lotsamods formula. I look foward to all of these projects! Good luck!

I wish I could be of more help, but the only thing I excel is in drawing (and currently I have art classes that take all of my time).

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 22:19

Esteban wrote:The 2D sprite for the player looks perfect!
[...]
I wish I could be of more help, but the only thing I excel is in drawing (and currently I have art classes that take all of my time).

You already have been of help, the player sprite is based off you artwork :) viewtopic.php?p=109972#p109972

Pixture

kaadmy

by kaadmy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 22:23

Ferk wrote:I didn't know you could use 2D sprites for the players

minetest_game uses sprites if it can't find the model, and if you look at the file in minetest_game/mods/default/player.lua, there's the code required to get the model implemented, as there's no builtin API to handle player animations.

Ferk wrote:It might be a lot of work to redo all the graphics, though.

I already have animated torches, chests, furnaces, stone, cobble, mossy cobble, trees, and wood. It shouldn't be too hard to make a full set of usable textures.

Edit: Another screenshot!
4.png
(365.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Pixture

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Sun Sep 27, 2015 23:36

I like the textures a lot! And they seem like a very cohesive set. About the player being a sprite, will the other mobs be sprites too? It would make the game look very nice, but I don't think it's possible to change the sprites depending on the direction they are facing and stuff like that, is it? The player being the only sprite-thing in the universe would be strange..

Ferk

by Ferk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 08:38

eduardomezencio wrote:I don't think it's possible to change the sprites depending on the direction they are facing and stuff like that, is it?

I'd be interested on this as well. I suck at 3D modelling and I have some ideas of objects I would like that don't fit neither the "box" nor the "plantlike" drawtype.

I could use nodeboxes, though. But they are kind of troublesome to create and don't allow for slopes. I'm already using them for bones and skulls.

eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Wed Sep 30, 2015 13:56

Updated: Now pits generate and various generation glitches were fixed. For now, the only known bug in this mod is about lighting.

Sometimes the light from the torches is not correctly calculated, and I have no idea of what causes this for now. I'm attaching screenshots from normal and glitched torches, and even a normal torch generated right next to a glitched one, in hopes that someone here is familiar with this and can help me.

(I'll post screenshots of pits soon)
Attachments
lighting2.png
(233.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lighting.png
(215.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Next

Return to WIP Mods