mods installation

Gorbash999

mods installation

by Gorbash999 » Post

Hi,
I have minetest installed on my mac and I've tried to follow the instructions to install mods. THe thing is that I couldn't have them to show in my mods window it's always empty. Did someone on a mac actually succeded in installing mods in minetest and if they would be kind enough to point me in the right direction by telling me how to do it so it work. thank you in advance.

Gorbash999

Don
GitHub: DonBatman
IRC: Batman
In-game: Batman

Re: mods installation

by Don » Post

Did you download the mods or use the installer?

If you downloaded them did you put them in the minetest/mods folder? Did you rename them if needed? Eg. Remove -master from mod folder name.
Many of my mods are now a part of Minetest-mods. A place where you know they are maintained!

A list of my mods can be found here

Gorbash999

by Gorbash999 » Post

I downloaded them, I've put them in the mods folder at the first level of the minetest folder, renamed them and nothing does it. When i go in the mods tab in the home screen of the game there is nothing in the installed mods.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

What OS do you use?

Gorbash999

by Gorbash999 » Post

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

Zen

by Zen » Post

Why does’t it work? Hm. Start from the beginning.

Step one, download Minetest OS X version.
Step two, drop Minetest.app into Applications folder.
Step three, modify permissions because El Capitan requires that now.
Step four, run Minetest.app then run it again to create initial folders.
Step five, reset permissions back and open "~/Library/Application Support/minetest/"

Nothing in there but the word Separator. Okay. Moving on.

Step six, create a new Minetest world. The worlds and cache folders pop up.
Step seven, close down and create the mods folder in the minetest folder.
Step eight, download a simple mac made mod, and drop its unzipped folder in the mods folder.
Step nine, run Minetest.app again, select the world, and click the configure button.
Step ten, select the word identify, check the enable box, click the save box, then click the play box.

Did work? Well, it’s a bit buggy. But yeah, it worked. YMMV!

P.S. Tried it with a real mod CME. It took a few minutes but everything showed up.

Gorbash999

by Gorbash999 » Post

Do I have to erase all that i have and re-install minetest or I can do that from a already installed game?
(because I have a lot of structures built and I do not want to lose them). And I'm on Yosemite not El Capitan.

Zen

by Zen » Post

Gorbash999 wrote:Do I have to erase all that i have and re-install minetest or I can do that from a already installed game?
(because I have a lot of structures built and I do not want to lose them). And I'm on Yosemite not El Capitan.
No.

You should be able to drop the extracted folder into the mods folder then start minetest, select a world,
then click the configure menu and select the mod, enable it, click save, and then start the world up with the installed mod.

P.S. I have a habit of erasing the entire hard drive after every update of the operating system and that’s the reason I did the install of minetest.
(I should note that you can update the minetest app with no ill effects on the contents of folders in the Application Support folder.)