IcyDiamond
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.7] [craftguide]

by IcyDiamond » Post

zing269 wrote:Getting this error:

Code: Select all

ERROR[Main]: Invalid background element(5): '1,1;1,1;craftguide_bg_full.png;true;10'
and sure enough there is no background
What is your engine version?
Web developer | Systems Administrator

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.7] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

This engine feature is not released yet, I should add a fallback. Sorry for that.

EDIT: fixed. A dev version of the engine is recommended for the best effect.

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.8] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.8 released!

This is an important step forward: craftguide can now shows the replacement items and toolrepair properties.

This mod is now fully compliant to the requirements of a crafting guide.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.8] [craftguide]

by Wuzzy » Post

Heh, “fully compliant”. It always depends on what kind of game you're targeting. Not all games might use repairing or replacements. But good job! :P But yeah, in this wiki I basically listed everything that the core Minetest API offers in terms of crafting, so yeah. In that sense, “fully compliant” indeed.

IMO it's ultimately the job of the game to offer an appropriate crafting guide itself. And in fact, most games do already. And given that some games use their own crafting system, they still need something custom.

But yeah, this mod is still very helpful for many games! :)

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.8.1] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.8.1 released!
  • Numerous bugfixes and polishing
  • Added Italian translations (thanks Hamlet)
  • Full backward compatibility with Minetest 0.4.17

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.9] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.9 released!

This version brings a major interface overhaul and some bugfixes.
It's recommended to use the upcoming Minetest 5.1 or a development version of the engine.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

jp wrote:Update: craftguide 1.9 released!

This version brings a major interface overhaul and some bugfixes.
It's recommended to use the upcoming Minetest 5.1 or a development version of the engine.

Nice.
Maybe give the buttons/items some background. It would improve the look a lot IMO
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

So basically the most useful change here is that now both recipe and usage are displayed at the same time. Yeah, that one is nice.

I noticed that if only one of the two (recipes/usages) is used, only one panel is show. However, if this happens, the positions of the panel might change, causing an annoying “jumping” around. This makes it a bit more annoying to use. I suggest to keep the panel positions at a fixed place so they don't jump (they just appear and disapper).

I agree with Lone_Wolf, it's ugly now that the button background was removed. The button background should be added back. For all buttons.

I noticed the craftguide now falls back to the default tooltip colors instead of the game-specified ones (e.g. with formspec_override). This might be a regression.

I dislike the info panel. The info panel is WAY too technical and destroys immersion. The group listing is overkill. A lot of groups are never used in crafting and would pollute the group listing anyway. Most groups are never meant to be visible by the player. Also, missing space before the opening parenthesis.
The item type is also too technical and just exposes the ugly game internals to the player. It's not useful gameplay information. The drawtype is generally irrelevant to gameplay and even if, this is just a terrible way to expose information. The item type is also not useful. Many items that act like tools are registered as craftitems. And there are craftitems that can be placed like nodes. You cannot rely on the item type as useful gameplay information. It's not. The item name is redundant, its already exposed in tooltips. The only really defensible part of this panel is maybe maybe the itemstring, because it's used in /giveme.

The button “Recipe 1 of 1” and “Usage 1 of 1” should be turned to a label instead of a button because if there is only 1 recipe/usage the button is a no-op.
I also suggest to add left/right buttons for this because some items just have a gazillion usages and being able to only go forwards is annoying.

jp, I suspect you keep force-pushing all the time to your repository. Is this correct?
Whenever I pull, things break and I am forced to throw away my entire repository and re-clone it … This is horrifying. I'm not sure yet if it's my fault or not.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Woah, getting waaay too complex ...

Maybe add a "simple mode" that makes it look like before the UI overhaul?

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

Thanks for the feedbacks.
I suggest to keep the panel positions at a fixed place so they don't jump (they just appear and disapper).
That would be a waste of screen space.
I noticed the craftguide now falls back to the default tooltip colors instead of the game-specified ones
I didn't touch the tooltip colors.
I dislike the info panel
What would you suggest to show instead?
The button background should be added back. For all buttons.
The current UI standard that pretty much everyone adopt is flat design. Windows 98's button type belongs to the past. However, I intend to use visual feedbacks on buttons when merged (i.e. showing a background only when the button is hovered).
No. However you can use the sfinv_only mode which is simple.
jp, I suspect you keep force-pushing all the time to your repository. Is this correct?
Yes, that's right. Sorry about that.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

This update is definitely a step towards a more complex interface. I'm going to share some of my first impressions from the screenshot and post:

I rather liked the old interface. Since someone brought up Windows 95, this interface overhaul reminds me of going from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The traditional interface was really robust and nice.

I'd echo some of the sentiments around here that it seems like the attributes in the bottom right is immersion-breaking and too technical for players. Perhaps add a settings toggle for it?

On first glance, I don't like the removal of the border/backgrounds behind items in the guide. The selection highlighting looks a bit strange to me for some reason.

I'm a bit apprehensive to jump to this update. I have 1.8.1 right now. I may preserve that version and try the new update a bit later this evening. Maybe that will adjust my initial impressions. :)

I do like the usage and craft recipes being displayed in separate areas. That seems more intuitive than before.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Nice one jp :) I like the new design... Will it be configurable so you can turn elements on.off so it can show the basic craftguide as well ?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

jp wrote:
I suggest to keep the panel positions at a fixed place so they don't jump (they just appear and disapper).
Better waste a little bit of screen space instead of having an UI that jumps around like crazy :)
jp wrote:The current UI standard that pretty much everyone adopt is flat design.
Yeah, and that is stupid. It looks flat (pun intended) and no visual feedback is annoying like hell. Just because some major companies need UI changes to sell their product, Minetest mods do not need that nonsense to “sell”.
jp wrote:
No. However you can use the sfinv_only mode which is simple.
Then it’s time for a fork, I guess.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The current UI standard that pretty much everyone adopt is flat design.
That's a terrible argument. The current buttons in this mod are objectively worse because they lack visual feedback, something that the default buttons have. The lack of background also means you can no longer see where the borders of the buttons are. You have to guess … This is also a major downgrade.

What's annoying is that this conflicts with the button design of pretty much all games in Minetest, so for the normal player it looks like this mod wants to be different just for the sake of it.
Umm, no. The screen space would be empty either way. It's just that the empty space is in a different place.

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

craftguide's development should be apart of MTG. The mods stands on its own. It's so important, MTG ought to change ITS user interface!

jp changed the license, and it still didn't get merged. I think it's jp's craftguide, not yours, and that it should develop along its own line.

jp
Banned

[Mod] Crafting Guide [1.10] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.10 released!
  • Reworked UI (considering feedbacks)
  • Show dropped items (with chance percentage)
  • Added support for multiple craft definitions and craft registration from a given URL
  • Added support for exporting all the cached recipes and usages in a JSON format to a given URL
  • Bugfixes
More info in the API document: https://github.com/minetest-mods/craftg ... ter/API.md
Report any bug here.

IcyDiamond
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.10] [craftguide]

by IcyDiamond » Post

I really don't like the new way to register recipes, I would have to write some kind of special string generator to have the appropriate amount of items in one string instead of just being able to specify a width and height.

This new method is better if the recipes are registered manually but most of the time that's not the case.
Web developer | Systems Administrator

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

This mod causes a game/server crash when looking at some of the alternative default dye recipes that are null.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

FreeGamers wrote:This mod causes a game/server crash when looking at some of the alternative default dye recipes that are null.
Fixed. Thanks.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Dye recipes are indeed no longer crashing the game. Nice.

I switched to a higher DPI display today, but since upgraded to your latest push, I've noticed that the SFINV-only crafting guide seems to be offset a bit too much. This causes the third row of the crafting grid to be hovering off of the sfinv page (see attached). This could just be my display scaling or something, but I'll check it on another PC in a bit.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-10-12 10-40-06.jpg
Screenshot from 2019-10-12 10-40-06.jpg (388.73 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

jp
Banned

by jp » Post

No, this is not your screen's fault. I broke it (among many things) and this is fixed now.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Verified fixed. Cool, thanks!

jp
Banned

Re: [Mod] Crafting Guide [1.10.1] [craftguide]

by jp » Post

Update: craftguide 1.10.1 released!
  • Bugfixes
  • Visual feedbacks on navigation buttons (requires a development version of the engine)
  • More accurate informations when the mod loads (data caching)
  • Updated Italian locales

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

OK, I'm feeling pretty stupid. How does one go from the crafting guide to the crafting grid? Do I just have to memorize what the guide says, then manually put stuff into the grid, craft one item, put more stuff into the grid, craft another item, repeat until I die of old age?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes.