Minetest for Xbox and IOS?

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Minetest for Xbox and IOS?

by octacian » Post

Is it possible by any chance to build Minetest for the Xbox or IOS? From my research the Xbox is not compatible with OpenGL, but I would wonder if somebody has written a compiler / library to get around this.

IOS would be great too, and I believe OpenGL is supported so I wonder why Minetest is not available.

I have a couple of friends who would really like to use Minetest, but cannot until now because they only have an Xbox or IOS device.

Thanks. If there is anything I can do to help this happen, I would be more that happy to contribute.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Minetest for Xbox and IOS?

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest cannot be placed on the App Store due to the license we use (search Gpl and the App Store)

Minetest, or rather irrlicht does support directx. The harder issue would be actually getting approved by Microsoft.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

octacian

by octacian » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Minetest cannot be placed on the App Store due to the license we use (search Gpl and the App Store)

Minetest, or rather irrlicht does support directx. The harder issue would be actually getting approved by Microsoft.
I see. Surely there is a way to release the game for IOS as some sort of sideload since the App Store isn't the best place. Developers do this all the time with game engines such as Unity and Unreal Engine.

Then why hasn't someone written a library allowing irrlicht to support directx?
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Irrlicht DOES support Directx. Minetest DOES support DirectX. See video_driver setting. However, shaders won't be available.

Hello profile reader

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Releasing Minetest for jailbroken iOS devices may be possible (Irrlicht does have iOS ports), but do we want to spend a considerable amount of manpower on this task?

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

The XBox One may get support for Windows Universal Platform (UWP, previously called Metro apps) apps, which already can run on windows phone and PC using the same codebase. Once the UWP is stable on the XBox One, converting the actual minetest app to UWP may be quite easy. However, two things:

1. I don't know what MS will do about video games being distributed as UWP on XBox. We already have Gears of War, and the new Tomb Raider being distributed as a UWP package via the Windows Store on Windows 10

2. I don't know how soon will UWP be stable on the XBox One.

For examples of true UWP apps, check out Groove Music on Windows 10 and Windows phone (they use the same codebase for both desktop and mobile builds)
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

octacian

by octacian » Post

OK sorry, so irrlicht does support DirectX, but there would be no shaders. To me, that isn't too big of a problem to either live with, or bypass. Why is it a problem to get Microsoft to accept it though? I would rather not wait until their "universal" thing is released on the Xbox 1, and besides, its the Xbox 360 that I would like Minetest for anyway.

When it comes to IOS, I would think that since some have made it a while it wouldn't hurt to try. Since Apple does a lot of open source things, I personally don't see why they have a problem with it in the first place. But, I guess they do...

Like I said, anything I could do to help this happen, I would be more than willing to do.

trev
In-game: trev

by trev » Post

Hello. I just read this topic. I think that Xbox One is probably an easier target than iOS. I'm not sure what the "third-party approval policy" is for MS, but Apple's is almost certainly worse (when it comes to GPL compliance). Additionally, there are several illegal Minetest ports to iOS (they are rebranded). They give no credit to Minetest. And there are at least 3 with no difference except texture pack. I am afraid that putting Minetest on the App Store would give it a bad reputation and bad reviews as a "rip-off" game, which Minetest is NOT(it's a game engine, not a game). Further, iOS has no Finder, so there would be no easy way to mod the game, which could anger those who use Minetest on desktop or Android. On the other side, Xbox One is basically Windows. If Irrlicht would run a fullscreen device on it under DirectX, Xbox just might be a viable option. I am not sure about mods there either, though : / . However, Xbox One users are probably more willing to try and play new games than someone who is just "surfing" the iOS App Store and downloading and deleting apps on Saturday morning.

TL;DR: Xbox One is a better target than iOS for legal and use-case reasons.
Do what you love, and you will love what you do! :)

octacian

by octacian » Post

trev wrote:Hello. I just read this topic. I think that Xbox One is probably an easier target than iOS. I'm not sure what the "third-party approval policy" is for MS, but Apple's is almost certainly worse (when it comes to GPL compliance). Additionally, there are several illegal Minetest ports to iOS (they are rebranded). They give no credit to Minetest. And there are at least 3 with no difference except texture pack. I am afraid that putting Minetest on the App Store would give it a bad reputation and bad reviews as a "rip-off" game, which Minetest is NOT(it's a game engine, not a game). Further, iOS has no Finder, so there would be no easy way to mod the game, which could anger those who use Minetest on desktop or Android. On the other side, Xbox One is basically Windows. If Irrlicht would run a fullscreen device on it under DirectX, Xbox just might be a viable option. I am not sure about mods there either, though : / . However, Xbox One users are probably more willing to try and play new games than someone who is just "surfing" the iOS App Store and downloading and deleting apps on Saturday morning.

TL;DR: Xbox One is a better target than iOS for legal and use-case reasons.
Is it actually illegal to put software licensed under the GPL on the Appstore? What about under the MIT License?

Yes, the Xbox is an overall easier system to port Minetest to, however, I would like to see the Xbox 360 too. Either way, we still can't ignore IOS.

If software under the GPL can legally be put on the Appstore, then we could build the game for IOS relatively easy with the credits too. As long as the previous is legal, mods won't be a problem. Some type of file browser or mod browser could be implemented with the help of other open source projects. It is unlikely that a file browser would do as I would guess that IOS DIRs are weird in general. However, a small web browser allowing users to browse the Minetest Forum could solve the problem of an all out file browser. Some type of mod DB like what had previously been attempted could be used too.

lightonflux
In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Post

endev15 wrote:
trev wrote: Is it actually illegal to put software licensed under the GPL on the Appstore?
It is against their Terms of Service. Article on the matter.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

lightonflux wrote:
endev15 wrote:
trev wrote: Is it actually illegal to put software licensed under the GPL on the Appstore?
It is against their Terms of Service. Article on the matter.
More specifically, they wrote them that way because they would themselves be liable to comply with the requirements of the GPL, even if they are not the people who wrote the GPL software.

The GPL requires everyone who *distributes* a binary to provide the source code. Apple doesn't want to distribute GPL source code, so they wrote their ToS to match this.

Anyone who downloads an (even illicit) GPL application that made it to the IOS store can force Apple to provide them source code. So you can bet your money that Apple really hates GPL IOS apps.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Might be far easier, and less frustrating for your friends to get themselves a decent laptop or desktop (even from a second hand shop or craigslist, etc., DL Minetest, and enjoy.
A Wonderful World

glichgamer12
In-game: Glitchgamer12

by glichgamer12 » Post

i found a very similar version for ios, its called freeworld. also check the apstore, there is tons of clones.
whats up. hurry up and play the dubstep!

here is a story about a cow: one upon a time there was a cow, now this cow was running away from c55. now why this was happening was unknown. you know what, i am not going to continue this poop.

hampa16

by hampa16 » Post

The devs are still currently working on this game, so the game has some bugs in it. When they fixed some things in this game, they will maybe think about adding minetest for XBOX and mobile versions (I know that there may be minetest for mobile versions, but those are other people's copies of the real game, and it is hard to tell which one of those copies are the best copies).

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

hampa16 wrote:(I know that there may be minetest for mobile versions, but those are other people's copies of the real game, and it is hard to tell which one of those copies are the best copies).
Um..., there is Android version already. (I know it is outdated)
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/

hampa16

by hampa16 » Post

srifqi wrote:
hampa16 wrote:(I know that there may be minetest for mobile versions, but those are other people's copies of the real game, and it is hard to tell which one of those copies are the best copies).
Um..., there is Android version already. (I know it is outdated)
Can you link me to it?
Rex 2 Double 9
=RomanFox2=
SoulKiller35

hampa16

by hampa16 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Minetest cannot be placed on the App Store due to the license we use (search Gpl and the App Store)

Hope it gets approved by Google.
Rex 2 Double 9
=RomanFox2=
SoulKiller35

octacian

by octacian » Post

There's already an official release with the latest Minetest 0.4.16 in the Google Play Store already: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t.minetest.

It's Microsoft that would have to approve Minetest and Apple that simply does not allow apps like Minetest.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

have you looked into sony's playstation store?
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ ... INDIEGAMES

I have no idea what their policies are.
A Wonderful World

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:The harder issue would be actually getting approved by Microsoft.
Since Microsoft is the owner of Minecraft we won't see Minetest on Xbox EVER.

octacian

by octacian » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:The harder issue would be actually getting approved by Microsoft.
Since Microsoft is the owner of Minecraft we won't see Minetest on Xbox EVER.
You can't say that for sure. Just, you can't :P

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

There are MC clones on the Xbox store already.

FWIW, Minetest supports Xbox controllers (except for formspecs)

Hello profile reader

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I'm not sure why this subject keeps being resurrected. Porting to iOS devices has been discussed ad nauseum, thus far to no avail. Here are at least two discussions, one is even a sticky topic.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16707
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14987

From what I understand nobody is compelled to undertake this endeavor because of the AppStore restrictions.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Microsoft announced during Gamescom that they'll be offering free software to create Xbox One games. They did imply that you need an Xbox One, but this means an Xbox One port is totally possible.
I test mines.

Pitriss
GitHub: Pitriss
IRC: pitriss
In-game: pitriss

by Pitriss » Post

Sorry for this post gravedigging but I think xbox UWP version of MT would be really awesome.

There is also part of shop for indie games so there should be no issue to distribute MT. (Actually it is full of small games even for free and I doubt that devs paid for placing their games there.)

I guess it is called Creators program (see: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/creators-program )

So I vote for UWP port of MT client :)

EDIT:
One of definitelly cool advantages over MC Bedrock ed would be how easy is to run MT server as Bedrock servers are plain PITA to run/develop
I reject your reality and substitute my own. (A. Savage, Mythbusters)
I'm not modding and/or playing minetest anymore. All my mods were released under WTFPL. You can fix/modify them yourself. Don't ask me for support. Thanks.