Minetest railcarts and other features

dellodp

Minetest railcarts and other features

by dellodp » Post

Hi everyone I am new to this Minetest was recommended by a friend who cant run minecraft so I decided to give it a try.

First of all I think the game has some very good features but I am puzzled how minetest allows for rail track and powered railtrack but you cant build or use minecarts??

Will this be sorted out soon or will I have to revert back to using minecraft where this is already possible aswell as pre built villages in survival mode etc??

Please dont think I am slagging the game off as I think it has alot of good features, I'm just saying I can't see me playing it for long if small things like this are not going to be addressed.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

dellodp

by dellodp » Post

what about pre built vilages etc. minecraft has loads of them??

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

dellodp wrote:what about pre built vilages etc. minecraft has loads of them??
this is not minecraft, we have a pre build village mod but it is rough
http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=557

&&

Xyz ( i think ) was experimenting with mine carts in lua, and they worked nicely, but if you went too fast they would derail
I've been gone for a long time

dellodp

by dellodp » Post

Have you not got any village or minecart mods available for download in .zip format??

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Use 7-Zip
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

dellodp

by dellodp » Post

I dont understand i can download .zip files but the mod seems to be in a .lua file??

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Zip archives usually contain all the things you need.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19056 Solar Plains Dev Server

dellodp

by dellodp » Post

Please forgive me as I probably sound dumb but you might aswell be talking Japanese to me here. All i literally know how to do is download a zip file and put it in my mod folder??

I really haven't got a clue what you just wrote above lol.........could someone maybe post an idiot guide on how i can get this village and minecart mod for windows as a zip file??

Thanks in advance

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Post

dellodp wrote:Please forgive me as I probably sound dumb but you might aswell be talking Japanese to me here. All i literally know how to do is download a zip file and put it in my mod folder??

I really haven't got a clue what you just wrote above lol.........could someone maybe post an idiot guide on how i can get this village and minecart mod for windows as a zip file??

Thanks in advance
ok so the .lua goes in a folder called villages like "..mods/villages/.lua file, this mode requires you to build the building in coordinates in the .lua file "0,1,1 0,0,2 etc tc " so if you cant figure out that .lua files go in a folder in mods than i suggest you just walk away from this like i did.
Last edited by Death Dealer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and code python^_^

wokste

by wokste » Post

1. Download the mods, mentioned above.
2. Go to the root directory of your minetest installation. (the folder with {bin, builtin, cache, games, locale, misc, mods, textures, util and worlds})
3. Go to mods
4. Use a zip program (like 7zip) to extract the content of the archive in that directory. Directories should be like /mods/<modname>/init.lua
5. Run the game.

Possible issues:
Problem: A mod may be built for a different version.
Solution: No easy solutions here. Ask the modders to update their mods. I expect that the modding api becomes more stable soon, but this is the problem with development builds.

Problem: A mod may require other mods.
Solution: If it is not clear what mod you need, you can see the dependencies in depends.txt of the installed mods. Download and install those mod as well.
We must be careful not to clone Notches mistakes.