[Mod] Titanite & Weapon Upgrades [titanite]

MrUnderhill89

GitHub: mrunderhill89

[Mod] Titanite & Weapon Upgrades [titanite]

by MrUnderhill89 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 00:13

Titanite Upgrades Mod
by Kevin "mrunderhill89" Cameron

GitHub: https://github.com/mrunderhill89/minetest_titanite

SUMMARY: This mod adds the Titanite material from the Dark Souls series to Minetest. Unlike most materials, titanite isn't used to forge weapons directly, but to upgrade existing weapons. Also included in the mod is a procedural upgrade system similar to one in Dark Souls, where tools can be gradually improved from +1 to +10.

TITANITE: Titanite comes in four interchangeable quantities, just like in Dark Souls: small shards, large shards, chunks, and blocks (based on slabs). Each quantity is worth four times the one below it, and you can freely craft between them.

Titanite has the same spawn pattern as Mese crystals, with small shards appearing at medium depth, and whole blocks at very far depths.

UPGRADES: Upgrading a weapon is as simple as crafting the desired tool with the required quantity of titanite. Each level requires an increasing amount of titanite, starting with just 1 shard and progressing to chunks and finally blocks by the time you get to +10. Any tool that uses minetest's default tool capabilities can be upgraded, including those added by other mods. Armor from the 3D Armor mod can also be upgraded, but any special-purpose tools like the screwdriver are left alone. As a happy side-effect, upgrading a tool restores its wear value, so you can keep a few titanite shards on you while exploring to repair your pickaxe instead of carrying the materials for a new one.

Upgraded weapons take less time to break the same blocks, deal more damage, and are more durable than their un-upgraded counterparts. The power of each upgrade scales on how much titanite is used to make it, so each upgrade should be noticeably better than the one before it, even as upgrades become more expensive.

BALANCE CONSIDERATIONS: Obviously using this mod it's possible to make weapons and armor that are far more powerful than their original mod developers might have intended. I'm open to suggestions, but I deny responsibility if someone on a PvP server with this mod pwns your diamond armor with a +10 wood sword. :)

TECHNIC IMPROVEMENTS: If you have the Technic mod and don't want to bother with manual crafting, you can throw your weapons along with some titanite shards into any alloy furnace. The furnace will automatically take the required number of shards to upgrade your weapon. Note that this is only a convenience feature, and you aren't getting or losing anything by using it.

You can also downgrade your weapons with an Extractor. You'll get back half of the material used to make the upgrade so you can use them on other tools.

WHAT WORKS:
  • Titanite craftitems and blocks
  • Weapon upgrades
  • Armor upgrades
  • Manual upgrading
  • Alloy-furnace upgrading
  • Graphical overlays on upgraded weapons

WHAT STILL NEEDS WORK:
  • Graphical overlays show up on the wielded weapon (should just be in inventory)
  • Upgrades for special tools like the screwdriver
  • Weapon Ascension (Dark Souls' version of enchanting)

MOD INTER-COMPATIBILITY:
This mod works by wrapping around Minetest's register_tool function to create the upgraded versions of each tool as they're registered. This is similar to how Technic overrides that method. Any tool that uses Minetest's normal tool capabilities will be enhanced by this mod, but special-purpose tools like the screwdriver are usually left alone. I've tested this mod with a bunch of tool-adding mods, including Technic, and it seems to work flawlessly so far, but let me know if a particular mod causes problems.

LICENSE:
Code: WTFPL
Textures: Creative Commons Non-Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

I do not claim to own anything regarding the idea for titanite, or anything else related to Dark Souls, which is the property of FROM Software. The textures in this mod were drawn by me but based on the icons from Dark Souls 3.

SCREENSHOTS:
New Nodes (Titanite Ore, Titanite Block) and Items (Titanite Shard/Large Shard/Chunk/Block)
Upgrade from base item to +1
Upgrade from +1 to +2
Upgrade from +2 to +3
Upgrading with an Alloy Furnace
Downgrading with an Extractor
Diamond Chestplate with no upgrades
Diamond Chesplate +1
Diamond Chesplate +10
Full set of +10 Diamond Armor
Upgraded items keep their labels when dropped.
Last edited by MrUnderhill89 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Mod] Titanite & Weapon Upgrades [titanite]

by Nathan.S » Sun Jul 31, 2016 02:27

Haven't actually used it yet, but this looks pretty cool.
Excellent work for what I'm assuming is your first mod.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54

Nice mod. I would like to see a 32px text overlay texture instead of this 16px one. Since version 0.4.14 it's possible to overlay different resolutions without messing up the final texture.
Mod Search Engine - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

cx384

GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

MrUnderhill89

GitHub: mrunderhill89

by MrUnderhill89 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 14:12

Nathan.S wrote:Haven't actually used it yet, but this looks pretty cool.
Excellent work for what I'm assuming is your first mod.

It's my second mod, but close enough. Thanks!

Krock wrote:Nice mod. I would like to see a 32px text overlay texture instead of this 16px one. Since version 0.4.14 it's possible to overlay different resolutions without messing up the final texture.

Good idea. I'll try to come up with one later today.

Chem871

GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Nyx Serris

by Chem871 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 22:51

Titanite can't upgrade crossbows, or tools that use ammo to shoot.
What is SCP-055 again? I forgot.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Return to WIP Mods