[Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

izzy
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 05:04
GitHub: yzziizzy

[Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by izzy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 05:14

Technic-based electric arc furnaces, crucible materials, and non-renewable "finite-liquids" like molten metals.

Mundane waste material can be melted down and refined for steel, copper, gold, and glass.

Crafting guides and information can be found on Github: https://github.com/yzziizzy/minetest_forge

Image



All code and textures are WTFPL. Seriously, I don't care what you do.

Dependencies:
Default, Technic

Update (2016 / 08 /14) [v. 0.2]

  • Cooling is now fixed.
  • The electrode uses as much power as the system gives it, like a battery box. The more energy the faster ores are melted.
  • Liquids have density and stratify accordingly.
  • Ores take different amounts of energy to melt.
  • Bug fixes for fluid dynamics

Source: https://github.com/yzziizzy/minetest_forge
Zip: https://github.com/yzziizzy/minetest_forge/archive/0.2.1.zip
Last edited by izzy on Mon Aug 15, 2016 04:00, edited 3 times in total.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.1] [forge]

by Byakuren » Sun Aug 14, 2016 06:32

Looks great, I'll try it out when I can. I like how it requires building a large structure for the machine as an emergent effect of the molten ore mechanics, as opposed to just checking the existence of a pre-defined structure.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.1] [forge]

by Byakuren » Sun Aug 14, 2016 06:50

Line 612 of init.lua: melts_to is nil.

EDIT: Another bug: the electrode reports no network, even when it's connected and working.
EDIT2: get_node_group is deprecated in favor of get_item_group, which works for any item.
EDIT3: Not sure if you intended this, but this has good grief potential in melting hills.
EDIT4: Though not as much as I thought, because originally I thought melted ore would melt other meltable ores.
EDIT5: I think you should make the flowing liquid spread only 2 nodes, since that's how far the sources can spread.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

HarrierJack
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 01:21
GitHub: harrierjack
IRC: HarrierJack
In-game: harrierjack

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.1] [forge]

by HarrierJack » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:55

Very nice mod

I'm seeing a big forge being build :)
 

izzy
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 05:04
GitHub: yzziizzy

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.1] [forge]

by izzy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 18:20

Byakuren wrote:Line 612 of init.lua: melts_to is nil.

EDIT: Another bug: the electrode reports no network, even when it's connected and working.
EDIT2: get_node_group is deprecated in favor of get_item_group, which works for any item.
EDIT3: Not sure if you intended this, but this has good grief potential in melting hills.
EDIT4: Though not as much as I thought, because originally I thought melted ore would melt other meltable ores.
EDIT5: I think you should make the flowing liquid spread only 2 nodes, since that's how far the sources can spread.


0: Fixed.
1: Fixed, I think. Technic can be a bit finicky.
2: Thanks for the info, fixed.
3/4: Things only melt when near the electrode. The destructive abm (which had the bug) is currently primitive and could cause some grief. I will be improving the melting and cooling calculations soon which will make such griefing impractical without vast amounts of power.
5: Fixed. It used to only spread two nodes but that setting was accidentally lost in an early refactor.

The zip link has been updated.


Thanks for your feedback :)
 

User avatar
DS-minetest
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:49
Location: in front of my pc (which is at home)
GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by DS-minetest » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:09

I always wanted such a mod :D
Edit:
  • alloying would be nice
  • why does it use lv?
  • it should use more energy, with a normal furnace it would need 300, but you smelt whole blocks
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.
 

izzy
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 05:04
GitHub: yzziizzy

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by izzy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 22:14

DS-minetest wrote:alloying would be nice

I've been flipping back and forth on how that should work. On one hand it's nice to separate the metals by density, on the other hand it would be nice to make alloys. I want to figure out a good mechanic to allow both. Ideas?

DS-minetest wrote:why does it use lv?
it should use more energy, with a normal furnace it would need 300, but you smelt whole blocks


Because real arc furnaces use (relatively) low voltage with very high amperage. The idea is you would have to use a nuclear reactor down-converted to LV in order to get enough EU's to run a large forge. I already jacked up the energy requirements once, will jack them up substantially more in the next version.
 

User avatar
DS-minetest
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:49
Location: in front of my pc (which is at home)
GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by DS-minetest » Tue Aug 16, 2016 08:14

izzy wrote:
DS-minetest wrote:alloying would be nice

I've been flipping back and forth on how that should work. On one hand it's nice to separate the metals by density, on the other hand it would be nice to make alloys. I want to figure out a good mechanic to allow both. Ideas?

maybe just allow horizontal alloying
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7459
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
 

MrUnderhill89
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 13:55
GitHub: mrunderhill89

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by MrUnderhill89 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 20:32

Nice mod! Though I think it might be a bit too easy to make an infinite metal machine with this, a geothermal generator, and a cobblestone generator. Instead of yielding whole blocks, you could make new nodes that look like slag but have the target mineral embedded in it ("slag with iron," "slag with copper," etc.), which can yield however many lumps you want.
 

izzy
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 05:04
GitHub: yzziizzy

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by izzy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 01:33

azekill_DIABLO wrote:yes! this:


Railroad crucible cars are on the list, dunno when I will get to them. Pull requests are welcome :)
If only Voxel Area Objects existed...

MrUnderhill89 wrote:Nice mod!

Thanks.

MrUnderhill89 wrote: Though I think it might be a bit too easy to make an infinite metal machine with this, a geothermal generator, and a cobblestone generator.


In truth the forge mod is designed to go with my yet-unreleased 3d-perlin noise based geology mapgen. Notice the strange stone nodes my original screenshot. ;) The idea is you will have to feed it metal-bearing ores. Regular cobble wouldn't yield anything, except perhaps at extreme chance like slag.

MrUnderhill89 wrote: Instead of yielding whole blocks, you could make new nodes that look like slag but have the target mineral embedded in it ("slag with iron," "slag with copper," etc.), which can yield however many lumps you want.


What about 1/8th slabs for the metal?
 

HarrierJack
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 01:21
GitHub: harrierjack
IRC: HarrierJack
In-game: harrierjack

Re: [Mod] Forge [0.2] [forge]

by HarrierJack » Wed Aug 17, 2016 15:46

izzy wrote:In truth the forge mod is designed to go with my yet-unreleased 3d-perlin noise based geology mapgen. Notice the strange stone nodes my original screenshot. ;) The idea is you will have to feed it metal-bearing ores. Regular cobble wouldn't yield anything, except perhaps at extreme chance like slag.


Nice, bring in the new nodes then :P

I was starting to feel guilty, on the one hand I don't want to spend the entire time melting, chopping slag, melting chopping slag :)
on the other hand, making a lot of metal from dirt or cobble seemed a bit cheaty :P
 


Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests