[Mod]emote[emote] Make your character model do emotes! +API

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

[Mod]emote[emote] Make your character model do emotes! +API

by sofar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 19:48

The emote mod adds an API and several commands to allow your character model to do new gestures!

The emotes implemented currently are:

  • /sit - sit down
  • /sleep - sleep as like in a bed
  • /lay - lay down, just like sleeping
  • /freeze - character stops moving as if frozen while walking
  • /point - raise hand out to signal a direction
  • /wave - do a quick hand wave
  • /stand - used to revert back from other emotes

Moreover, the API provides a way for other mods to use these interaction in their code.

The API is documented in the https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote/blob/master/README.md

Mods can use this API to make players able to sit on their nodes, sleep on custom beds or perform an emote like /point when interacting with a node (e.g. /wave when using a chest).

An example of how to make a player sit on a node is provided: https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote/blob/master/sit-on-stairs.patch

Code: https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote
Download: https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote/ ... master.zip
License: LGPL-2.1

Image
 

User avatar
paramat
Developer
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
Location: UK
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 00:16

This is pretty cool. Now I can sit down and do nothing (not only in real life...) but in MT too! :D

(For some reason I was expecting to see facial expressions thinking emoticons :P ) which would also be cool
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:03

FYI the next item on the list is attachment to entities, so we can have a generic implementation allowing people to ride carts/boats with this code.
 

User avatar
TheReaperKing
Member
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 21:36

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TheReaperKing » Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:57

Would that be so they could ride animals too? By the way the kids are going to FLIPPPPPPP when they see this :) Thanks for making it!
Resources on happiness and life management - http://MikesHappyPlace.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:48

TheReaperKing wrote:Would that be so they could ride animals too? By the way the kids are going to FLIPPPPPPP when they see this :) Thanks for making it!


Yes, the idea is that this API can be used by other mods to do attachment and pose. It will then be a lot easier for mods to implement vehicles since that code is already done, and they can just let this API do that work.

boats, carts, horses, pigs, helicopters, etc.
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:59

sofar wrote:
TheReaperKing wrote:Would that be so they could ride animals too? By the way the kids are going to FLIPPPPPPP when they see this :) Thanks for making it!


Yes, the idea is that this API can be used by other mods to do attachment and pose. It will then be a lot easier for mods to implement vehicles since that code is already done, and they can just let this API do that work.

boats, carts, horses, pigs, helicopters, etc.

Hmm..., do you think you might be able to create a way for the player to grab onto something, while jumping up, and then letting go at a certain point by using this API?
The player could basically be attaching to the vine? (or does this sound dumb?)
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:18

TumeniNodes wrote: Hmm..., do you think you might be able to create a way for the player to grab onto something, while jumping up, and then letting go at a certain point by using this API?
The player could basically be attaching to the vine? (or does this sound dumb?)


If you get within interact range of a node that allows attachment using this API, then yes, you can "hang on" to a node that way. But releasing would make you just fall straight down.
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TumeniNodes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:24

sofar wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote: Hmm..., do you think you might be able to create a way for the player to grab onto something, while jumping up, and then letting go at a certain point by using this API?
The player could basically be attaching to the vine? (or does this sound dumb?)


If you get within interact range of a node that allows attachment using this API, then yes, you can "hang on" to a node that way. But releasing would make you just fall straight down.


Maybe there will be some way of using: pressing W while right click, to release and drop at an angle, or something once this API is finished?
It will be interesting to experiment with, I'm sure modders will exploit this new feature fully ; )
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by Byakuren » Mon Jan 09, 2017 06:33

Can mods extend emote with new emotes?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 08:05

TumeniNodes wrote: Maybe there will be some way of using: pressing W while right click, to release and drop at an angle, or something once this API is finished?
It will be interesting to experiment with, I'm sure modders will exploit this new feature fully ; )


No, if I do something like that then I'd make a callback hook for on release. The mod then can do any specific release behavior themselves.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 08:07

Byakuren wrote:Can mods extend emote with new emotes?


Yes, but it does not make any sense. Any emote has to come from the existing player character animations, so if you can find a new one, I'll add it to this mod immediately.

If we want to radically add new player animations (/dance) someone will have to make these player animations in blender. Possible, but that would make the character model non-standard, and result in other issues with other mods.
 

User avatar
ExeterDad
Member
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 20:00
Location: New Hampshire U.S.A
In-game: ExeterDad

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by ExeterDad » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49

sofar wrote:
Byakuren wrote:Can mods extend emote with new emotes?


Yes, but it does not make any sense. Any emote has to come from the existing player character animations, so if you can find a new one, I'll add it to this mod immediately.

If we want to radically add new player animations (/dance) someone will have to make these player animations in blender. Possible, but that would make the character model non-standard, and result in other issues with other mods.


Sofar is it possible to "inject" animation files that were created in Blender? I know this is possible in other games. I wish I knew what keywords to search for to learn more about it. I remember during the brief time of playing Second Life, simple and sometime very sophisticated animations could be played with the players character model.
With the acceptation of moving bones via lua, our player models animations are hard coded within them. I've wondered about this for a while.
Hopefully I'm making sense as I've only been awake for like 5 minutes :)
 

User avatar
lightonflux
Member
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 07:22
Location: Germany
In-game: lof

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by lightonflux » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38

Head movement would be nice. So you have a visual yes and no:

/nod
/shake
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Jan 09, 2017 18:02

sofar wrote:The emote mod adds an API and several commands to allow your character model to do new gestures!

The emotes implemented currently are:

  • /sit - sit down
  • /sleep - sleep as like in a bed
  • /lay - lay down, just like sleeping
  • /freeze - character stops moving as if frozen while walking
  • /point - raise hand out to signal a direction
  • /wave - do a quick hand wave
  • /stand - used to revert back from other emotes

Moreover, the API provides a way for other mods to use these interaction in their code.

The API is documented in the https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote/blob/master/README.md

Mods can use this API to make players able to sit on their nodes, sleep on custom beds or perform an emote like /point when interacting with a node (e.g. /wave when using a chest).

An example of how to make a player sit on a node is provided: https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote/blob/master/sit-on-stairs.patch

Code: https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote
Download: https://github.com/minetest-mods/emote/ ... master.zip
License: LGPL-2.1

Image

+fun²
 

User avatar
TheReaperKing
Member
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 21:36

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TheReaperKing » Mon Jan 09, 2017 18:56

We are having the error:
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'emote' in callback on_chat_message(): ...ktop/minetest4.15experimental/bin/../mods/emote/init.lua:97: attempt to concatenate a nil value
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...ktop/minetest4.15experimental/bin/../mods/emote/init.lua:97: in function 'start'
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...ktop/minetest4.15experimental/bin/../mods/emote/init.lua:186: in function 'func'
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...est4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/chatcommands.lua:29: in function <...est4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/chatcommands.lua:17>
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...inetest4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:412: in function <...inetest4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:392>
Resources on happiness and life management - http://MikesHappyPlace.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 19:54

ExeterDad wrote:Sofar is it possible to "inject" animation files that were created in Blender?


Fairly sure it would require an engine change, and a protocol change as well in minetest in order to do that.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 19:55

lightonflux wrote:Head movement would be nice. So you have a visual yes and no:

/nod
/shake


Yes, but that would require:

1) bone manipulation
2) synchronization over time to make the head movement correct if the player moves around while doing this emote

So, way too complex for now, sorry.
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 20:02

TheReaperKing wrote:We are having the error:
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'emote' in callback on_chat_message(): ...ktop/minetest4.15experimental/bin/../mods/emote/init.lua:97: attempt to concatenate a nil value
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...ktop/minetest4.15experimental/bin/../mods/emote/init.lua:97: in function 'start'
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...ktop/minetest4.15experimental/bin/../mods/emote/init.lua:186: in function 'func'
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...est4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/chatcommands.lua:29: in function <...est4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/chatcommands.lua:17>
2017-01-09 13:49:17: ERROR[Main]: ...inetest4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:412: in function <...inetest4.15experimental/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:392>


This happened with `/stand`. I've pushed a fix to the repository to fix, please try that and let me know if there are additional problems!
 

User avatar
TheReaperKing
Member
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 21:36

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TheReaperKing » Tue Jan 10, 2017 00:06

Thank you so much and sorry I couldn't post more info, I have a class of 18 kids so things have to be done quickly haha. We are using the latest version of minetest, but not the newest dev if that helps at all. We'll be sure to test tomorrow and thanks again!

As a note we were mostly having the crash when we were trying /wave
Resources on happiness and life management - http://MikesHappyPlace.com
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com
Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids
 

Kosmos
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:42
In-game: KosmosHD

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by Kosmos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 18:41

Great, very great!!!
But can you make some more emotes (like cry; be angry; clap hands; fasepalm; make a somersault)?
:)

-Kosmos
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TumeniNodes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 19:08

I do notice... and I am just as guilty as others here, of it...
and I'm just pointing this out as a "hehe" sort of thing... just poking fun at our human nature... :P

so, someone does a bunch of work to introduce a wicked cool new feature..., and we all say "cool"... "can you make it better?" :P

just something I noticed for a while here..., and in life in general :D
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 22:36

Kosmos wrote:can you make some more emotes (like cry; be angry; clap hands; fasepalm; make a somersault)?


Not without doing animation work and breaking tons of mods that rely on the character model that we have right now.

Maybe later?
 

sofar
Developer
 
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 07:31
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by sofar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 22:39

TumeniNodes wrote:so, someone does a bunch of work to introduce a wicked cool new feature..., and we all say "cool"... "can you make it better?"


That's why I made it. First to explore how far we can take it (how many emotes can we already make with the default animations we have?), but also how can we make mods use these easily.

One of the things I'd like to do is attach these animations to e.g. the furnace, chests, and doors, so that when players use these nodes by right clicking them, an animation is shown - instead of a player just standing still.

That's why it's an API as well - so more nodes can then use the ideas in this mod easily, and the whole game is uplifted another level of refinement.
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [mod]emote[WIP] Make your character model do emotes! +AP

by TumeniNodes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 22:43

sofar wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote:so, someone does a bunch of work to introduce a wicked cool new feature..., and we all say "cool"... "can you make it better?"


That's why I made it. First to explore how far we can take it (how many emotes can we already make with the default animations we have?), but also how can we make mods use these easily.

One of the things I'd like to do is attach these animations to e.g. the furnace, chests, and doors, so that when players use these nodes by right clicking them, an animation is shown - instead of a player just standing still.

That's why it's an API as well - so more nodes can then use the ideas in this mod easily, and the whole game is uplifted another level of refinement.


Funny you mention some of these things... I'm working on animated chests... and some other things.
Yep, some bling, or visual-brain-candy, is definitely needed
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

Next

Return to Mod Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests