100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 7

GitHub: Der1248
In-game: 1248 or Der1248

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[1.37.0]

by 1248 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 18:54

Labyrinthus 1.37.0 is released with 10 new levels.
The next version of Labyrinthus will be Labyritnhus 2.0.0, after the the 2.0.0 I will not update Labyrinthus so often.
In the 2.0.0 I will add 16 new levels and I will fix some last bugs. I will not add any sounds sorry for that.
Sorry for bad english

Re: [Game/Map]1248's Labyrinthus[2.0.0]

by 1248 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 20:02

Labyrinthus 2.0.0 is released with 16 new levels.
World 4 and Labyrinthus are complete. I think I will not work on it anymore, but I will fix bugs if I find some.
I have still ideas for new levels so I will maybe start with a secound part of Labyrinthus.
Thanks to everyone who helped me.
Sorry for bad english

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Congrats!

by Wuzzy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 21:55

Congratulations on the 2.0.0 milestone! I think it's time for a little re-review from my side.

First, about 2.0.0:
I'm disappointed there's no sound effects. :-(
For the “final” version I would have expected to see a lot more polish in this game. Levels still seem to take quite long to load. Might as well consider this one a bug.
The “RESET MOVE” button seems to be still very buggy and broken. If you can't fix this, it would be better and easier to just remove or hide this feature.
NOTE: The term “subgame” has been recently discouraged. We use the term “game” now. Check your code to replace all player-facing instances of “subgame” with “game”.

I haven't really played a lot of levels in World 4 yet, I'll let you know when I'm through. :-)

But I acknowledge the polish has been steadily improved in the past versions.

About Labyrinthus in general:
The graphics are generally better than in the first versions, but overall I still think they are kinda meh. The “MS Paint impression” just doesn't quite go away. ;-)
I don't like the background music, it seems pretty dull. Good thing it's not enabled by default.

The gameplay concept as such is simple and fun, it kept (and keeps) me busy for a while. There's nothing really innovative about the concept, but if all you want is a simple puzzle game, this is good. The best part of the game is definitely the very large number of levels. A lot of games with great gameplay concepts run out of content way too early, which is such a shame. Focusing on the levels was definitely the right thing to do.
Although I was kind of annoyed to see some levels just being duplicated. This was a mistake. There's absolutely no reason for keeping the duplicates. Even if you remove all the duplicates, there would still be a ton of levels left.

Technically, the game is not well executed. I've looked at the code and there's a TON of redundancies and it's a pain to read. I think a lot of problems in your code will disappear when you simply start attacking those reduncancies. E.g. instead of copying code verbatim, use a function. Get your indentations right. There's also a ton of unused dead code flying around. It's better to delete unused cruft. “local” is your new best friend. These are just a few very simple ways to improve the codebase.

Overall, I still enjoyed this game, even with all these rough edges. The current biggest problems with this game is simply the lack of polish (at least it kept improving) and sounds.

The controls are still kind of weird, but at least it's usable as soon you got used to it. It's not hard to learn.
The controls scheme is currently just too strange: Think about this:
“Hi player! It's simple! You have to click on the on-screen blocks to change the level or undo a move, but to reset a level, you can NOT click on an on-screen block, you have to press the shift key instead which you will totally be NOT told in the game.”
XD
It's not hard to get controls right, the important part is that they have to follow some logic and be more or less consistent and follow conventions. Users don't like surprises.
A hidden control (like the level reset key currently is) is almost always a very bad idea.

The on-screen GUI is in an acceptable state now. All the cruft is gone and the important game state (keys, balls and current level ID) are all displayed on-screen and clearly visible.
My only minor woe is the presence of the crosshair, which you sadly still need because of the clickable level blocks.

I'm still not done with all the levels yet, but when I'm done, I will of course write again. :-)

But well, maybe you want to move on with other things. That's understandable and I totally respect that.
Since you probably won't do many updates anymore, my only serious suggestion for the future versions is to focus on bugfixes and to make sure that Labyrinthus is stable. Especially RESET MOVE.

Thank you for creating Labyrinthus!
My creations. I gladly take any bitcoins you have lying around: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

Re: Congrats!

by 1248 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 14:41

Wuzzy wrote: Levels still seem to take quite long to load. Might as well consider this one a bug.
The “RESET MOVE” button seems to be still very buggy and broken.

I don't know why levels take long to load, because they load immediately on my computer.
The “RESET MOVE” button only resets the last move
Wuzzy wrote:NOTE: The term “subgame” has been recently discouraged. We use the term “game” now. Check your code to replace all player-facing instances of “subgame” with “game”.

I improved that
Wuzzy wrote:Technically, the game is not well executed. I've looked at the code and there's a TON of redundancies and it's a pain to read. I think a lot of problems in your code will disappear when you simply start attacking those reduncancies. E.g. instead of copying code verbatim, use a function. Get your indentations right. There's also a ton of unused dead code flying around. It's better to delete unused cruft. “local” is your new best friend. These are just a few very simple ways to improve the codebase.

I removed dead code and I used functions --> I removed over 3500 lines, but there is still a lot to do
Wuzzy wrote:The controls are still kind of weird, but at least it's usable as soon you got used to it. It's not hard to learn.
The controls scheme is currently just too strange: Think about this:
“Hi player! It's simple! You have to click on the on-screen blocks to change the level or undo a move, but to reset a level, you can NOT click on an on-screen block, you have to press the shift key instead which you will totally be NOT told in the game.”
XD
It's not hard to get controls right, the important part is that they have to follow some logic and be more or less consistent and follow conventions. Users don't like surprises.
A hidden control (like the level reset key currently is) is almost always a very bad idea.

Ok, but I can't use any more key for undo a move (or I don't know wich and how).
So I can only add a new on-screen block for reseting a level.
Some In-game help will also come.
Wuzzy wrote:But well, maybe you want to move on with other things. That's understandable and I totally respect that.
Since you probably won't do many updates anymore, my only serious suggestion for the future versions is to focus on bugfixes and to make sure that Labyrinthus is stable. Especially RESET MOVE.
Thank you for creating Labyrinthus!

I will work on Labyrinthus in the future but I will not add levels every week. If I find bugs I will try to remove them.
But Labyrinthus is not my main project for minetest anymore.
I will try to finish my other games and I am also working on a new game......

If the new 2.0.1 have to many bugs use to old 2.0.0
Sorry for bad english

Re: [Game/Map]Labyrinthus[2.0.3]

by 1248 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56

Labyrinthus is now also on github
Sorry for bad english

Previous

Return to Game Releases