[abandoned mod] No Ores [noore]

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

[abandoned mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Tue Jul 11, 2017 08:59

Note: I'm no longer working on this mod.

This mod makes ore spotting cheats completely worthless by removing all ore, everywhere. Instead, you have a chance, based on your skill and current depth, of digging up one or more ores any time you dig stone. Your skill increases every time you dig up an ore and decreases slowly over time.

There will be compatibility issues with mods that handle stone using voxelmanip. I've added a public method called mass_dig to accommodate them, but it would be up to them to use it. The jackhammer from Fun Tools is already compatible, as is anything that uses the lua dig functions.

If you enable the "remove ores" setting, the mod will replace all existing metal ores in your world with stone. Don't turn this on in an existing world unless you're sure you want to go ore-less.


The source is available on github.

Code: LGPL2

Mod dependencies: default

Download: https://github.com/duane-r/noore/archive/master.zip
Last edited by duane on Sun May 27, 2018 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Problems

by duane » Tue Jul 11, 2017 08:59

None, so far.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

Wedzmin
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:50

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by Wedzmin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 09:23

Very interesting idea! it is pleasant to me!
but perhaps then it is worth diversifying types of a stone, otherwise the picture will become extremely boring
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Jul 11, 2017 13:31

Wedzmin wrote:but perhaps then it is worth diversifying types of a stone, otherwise the picture will become extremely boring

+1
 

User avatar
stu
Member
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: stujones11

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by stu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 14:02

This is a really interesting concept but I am wondering if it could even go a stage further and instead of simply dropping ores randomly, it actually places the ore by chance as previously hidden nodes are revealed by digging.

Admittedly this is a little more complex, however, it would have the advantage of being almost no different to normal from a genuine player's perspective. Of course there would still be no exposed ores in caves etc. but that's not necessarily such a bad thing. Just an idea anyway, nice mod :+1:
 

User avatar
the_raven_262
Member
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 09:30
GitHub: theraven262
IRC: the_raven_262 Raven262 Corvus262 corvus
In-game: the_raven_262 Raven262 Nevermore

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by the_raven_262 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 14:30

You could just mine downwards and get the ores, it does prevent you from cheating using oredetect, but it also makes stuff a bit dumb.
[amber] [conjuration] [warzone] | Why is #minetest-mod-dev so empty?
 

User avatar
stu
Member
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:51
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: stujones11

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by stu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 14:42

the_raven_262 wrote:You could just mine downwards and get the ores, it does prevent you from cheating using oredetect, but it also makes stuff a bit dumb.


You can do that already, If anything, I think this would encourage players to mine in a more conventional manner, ultimately creating more realistic looking mines. I suppose you could always use perlin maps to generate more interesting ore formations.
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Tue Jul 11, 2017 22:53

Wedzmin wrote:Very interesting idea! it is pleasant to me!
but perhaps then it is worth diversifying types of a stone, otherwise the picture will become extremely boring


I run Fun Caves, which adds five more types of stone and other decorations, so it's not an issue for me. Adding different stones as ore is trivial as well, if it's only the appearance that bothers you.


stu wrote:This is a really interesting concept but I am wondering if it could even go a stage further and instead of simply dropping ores randomly, it actually places the ore by chance as previously hidden nodes are revealed by digging.

Admittedly this is a little more complex, however, it would have the advantage of being almost no different to normal from a genuine player's perspective. Of course there would still be no exposed ores in caves etc. but that's not necessarily such a bad thing. Just an idea anyway, nice mod :+1:


That wouldn't be difficult, just more computationally expensive. You could also have ores appear when players get close if you wanted to spend even more processing time. I don't think I'd like it as well, since I'd still have to dig around for extra ores in a cluster (see below).


stu wrote:
the_raven_262 wrote:You could just mine downwards and get the ores, it does prevent you from cheating using oredetect, but it also makes stuff a bit dumb.


You can do that already, If anything, I think this would encourage players to mine in a more conventional manner, ultimately creating more realistic looking mines. I suppose you could always use perlin maps to generate more interesting ore formations.


This is the result it had for me. I stopped digging crazy shapes, looking for extra nodes, and dig navigable passages. Your mileage may vary.

And, again, I run Fun Caves, so digging in any direction seldom gets boring. Usually it's too "interesting".


Personally, I don't see much difference in digging for ore nodes hidden by stone and getting the ore randomly. It does take away the business of wandering through caves looking for visible ore. (I've got other incentives to wander since I use the Inspire and Booty mods.)

However, I could solve that pretty easily. I could add a decoration to caves that marks a volume where you get much more ore whenever you dig. Since it would be clearly visible, there wouldn't be any incentive to use a cheat.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Wed Jul 12, 2017 03:37

I added an option to put ores only at the surface of rock, making them visible in caves. It's not spectacular with the regular caves, except when you hit a big one.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by TumeniNodes » Wed Jul 12, 2017 03:57

This is a pretty cool idea duane!
This may sound like a stupid idea but here goes.

With this mod the way it is, would there be a way to create a gravimetric, magnetic or seismic systems mod which could be used for ore detection? To at least allow miners to have some idea of an approx. area to mine in?

While this helps fight against cheating, it can also be an opportunity to deliver a more realistic / educational solution to finding ores to mine.

Just a thought. Such a mod does not need to be over complicated, but could add some form of challenge to using it to find sections/veins of ores, thus adding a bit more coolness to gameplay.
Most kids like to be challenged, and it keeps them from getting bored
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Wed Jul 12, 2017 04:02

TumeniNodes wrote:With this mod the way it is, would there be a way to create a gravimetric, magnetic or seismic systems mod which could be used for ore detection? To at least allow miners to have some idea of an approx. area to mine in?


If you mean direct them to a place where more ore drops from digging, that's fairly simple. What kind of real technology are you talking about? I've never seen anything that works like that.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by TumeniNodes » Wed Jul 12, 2017 04:07

Not "real" as in IRL :P

But, it would be quite a job to try to manipulate various forms of "realistic" methods, such as land formations, or other surface hints so..., maybe some form of a system which could even be a block which is set on the ground, punched, and gives a rough idea of what ores are in the area... maybe a rough est of how deep?
Or even if it involves drilling ; )

I think it may get a bit frustrating to mine for a period of time, not knowing what you will/might get for the work?
Adding chance functions are fine but if one is looking for a specific ore for a game/challenge, or craft, it's going to get frustrating
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24

TumeniNodes wrote:Not "real" as in IRL :P

But, it would be quite a job to try to manipulate various forms of "realistic" methods, such as land formations, or other surface hints so..., maybe some form of a system which could even be a block which is set on the ground, punched, and gives a rough idea of what ores are in the area... maybe a rough est of how deep?
Or even if it involves drilling ; )

I think it may get a bit frustrating to mine for a period of time, not knowing what you will/might get for the work?
Adding chance functions are fine but if one is looking for a specific ore for a game/challenge, or craft, it's going to get frustrating


I see a few conceptual problems with that. If you give the player more than general information, you've basically got a server-side version of oredetect -- you might as well give them the real thing, which would undoubtedly look better than anything I make. On the other hand, if you only give them guidelines, you're not doing much more than a book of prospecting tips would do. In fact, I'd rather give them a book, since I know I'd enjoy that more.

Concentrating the ore in different conditions is easy enough, but I have no idea where to put it. The most helpful hints I've seen so far involve following rivers to source veins, which assumes that you're using a mapgen with rivers, that they flow in one direction, and that you're on the surface. You could try associating ores with different types of rock, but most mapgens only place stone below a certain depth, and if you add something as an ore to mark the location, it can be found with oredetect.

I could also make a geegaw of some sort that lets you dig up more of a particular ore anywhere, if it's only a concern about finding a type of ore. Maybe diamond picks attract more diamonds. Or I could place more of a type of ore under a biome, but that becomes pointless when you're deep underground. Or I could just say that a given type of ore is more likely in a given chunk, and you have to move to another chunk to find something else, but it will still be hit or miss as the chunk boundaries are deliberately obscured.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
TumeniNodes
Member
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 19:49
Location: in the dark recesses of the mind
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by TumeniNodes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52

duane wrote:I see a few conceptual problems with that. If you give the player more than general information, you've basically got a server-side version of oredetect -- you might as well give them the real thing, which would undoubtedly look better than anything I make. On the other hand, if you only give them guidelines, you're not doing much more than a book of prospecting tips would do. In fact, I'd rather give them a book, since I know I'd enjoy that more.


This is exactly what I mean, just giving rough estimates..., giving them an idea they are in the right area to start mining.
And by any means which seem to be more likely, be it visual clues or a crude device.

IRL mining is mostly done by gut instincts, intuition/experience, and most of all luck.
I'm not your buddy, guy...
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Fri Jul 14, 2017 01:25

TumeniNodes wrote:This is exactly what I mean, just giving rough estimates..., giving them an idea they are in the right area to start mining.
And by any means which seem to be more likely, be it visual clues or a crude device.

IRL mining is mostly done by gut instincts, intuition/experience, and most of all luck.


Then the question becomes, "Where should the ores go?", bearing in mind that it has to work on mapgens with no other mods.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
BrunoMine
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:29
Location: SP-Brasil
GitHub: BrunoMine

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by BrunoMine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:42

Cool mod.

duane wrote:I added an option to put ores only at the surface of rock, making them visible in caves. It's not spectacular with the regular caves, except when you hit a big one.


Just a suggestion.
Maybe light is needed for the block to be placed.
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Fri Jul 14, 2017 14:24

BrunoMine wrote:
duane wrote:I added an option to put ores only at the surface of rock, making them visible in caves. It's not spectacular with the regular caves, except when you hit a big one.


Just a suggestion.
Maybe light is needed for the block to be placed.


I don't understand. Are you saying that ores should only be placed above ground?
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
BrunoMine
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:29
Location: SP-Brasil
GitHub: BrunoMine

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by BrunoMine » Fri Jul 14, 2017 14:52

duane wrote:
BrunoMine wrote:
duane wrote:I added an option to put ores only at the surface of rock, making them visible in caves. It's not spectacular with the regular caves, except when you hit a big one.


Just a suggestion.
Maybe light is needed for the block to be placed.


I don't understand. Are you saying that ores should only be placed above ground?


torch light. This force player explore the caves
 

User avatar
duane
Member
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 19:11
Location: Oklahoma City
GitHub: duane-r

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by duane » Sat Jul 15, 2017 01:36

BrunoMine wrote:Just a suggestion.
Maybe light is needed for the block to be placed.


I don't understand. Are you saying that ores should only be placed above ground?[/quote]

torch light. This force player explore the caves[/quote]

That would take a lot more processor time, and I'm not sure it would matter since the ores are all visible, and you have to go to the cave to get them anyway. I think of them more as decoration than anything else.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.
 

User avatar
BrunoMine
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:29
Location: SP-Brasil
GitHub: BrunoMine

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by BrunoMine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 01:47

But this force the cheater player to approach to the ore. Otherwise, it can view the ore at a much greater distance.
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11

BrunoMine wrote:But this force the cheater player to approach to the ore. Otherwise, it can view the ore at a much greater distance.


that another thing here. not really related!
 

User avatar
BrunoMine
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:29
Location: SP-Brasil
GitHub: BrunoMine

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by BrunoMine » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14

I'm just making a suggestion. This is related to cheating
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
 

User avatar
BrunoMine
Member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 17:29
Location: SP-Brasil
GitHub: BrunoMine
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7460
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] No Ores [noore]

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33

It would make one mod handle a part of anticheat instead of the engine or the server.
 

Next

Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest