[Mod] WiTT [witt]

MightyAlex200

GitHub: MightyAlex200
In-game: Phoenix

[Mod] WiTT [witt]

by MightyAlex200 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 15:54

What is This Thing (WiTT) is a Minetest mod that functions similarly to the WAILA mod for Minecraft.

Currently there are two ways to use this mod: The server way and the client way. The server way is what you should do when playing singleplayer, just take the master branch and put it in your mods/ directory. The client way is what you should do when playing on a server that does not have WiTT installed. Take the csm branch and put it in your clientmods/ directory, then enable it. If you are using the client way, you will need to use the command .witt

A video of the mod at version 1 (server mode, pre-initial commit) is available at https://youtu.be/dfIfj8nrCQg.

Screenshot:

Downloads:
Direct server mode download
Direct client mode download
GitHub page

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] WiTT [witt]

by azekill_DIABLO » Sun Jul 30, 2017 16:43

does like my NodeExplorer and the other mod inspired from it, which it great...

MightyAlex200

by MightyAlex200 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 20:37

Update: I have changed the way the information is displayed to be more like Waila (blue text for mod) and I have also added a little image that shows up on some nodes, and some little animations. There is now also new commands:
  • "/wittoff" - turn witt display off
  • "/witton" - turn witt display on (default)
  • "/wanimon" - turn witt animations on
  • "/wanimoff" - turn witt animations off (default)

Until the HUD API comes to CSMs, I'll be mostly updating the serverside mod, as it is the most useful and the clientside mod is about as good as it's gonna get. When the HUD API comes to CSMs, I will convert it to them so you can use this in servers without it needing to be installed on there and you can save your settings.

Here is a video of the new version.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 21:12

Nice idea.
Does this also work with falling nodes and dropped items?

But there is always a problem with mods like these. It completely defeats fake nodes and hidden traps because you can see its name just by pointing at it. I don't think there is an easy fix for this. My doc_identifier mod is also guilty of this.

The node information above is wrong:
It must be “Yellow Lightstone”, not “Lightstone Yellow Off”. You should simply paste the description field of the node definition. Note that it may be empty and have multiple lines. You might want to truncate the text if it gets too long. And show the itemstring if the the description field it empty.

The mod name “Mesecons Lightstone” is pulled right out of the mod's ass. Nowhere ever has this mod been called like this. I think this should be removed. It doesn't really matter. If the player wants to know the mod name, the player can just use the debug screen to see the full itemstring.

I suggest you post this mod twice. The server version goes here, the client version goes into the client mod forum.
My creations. I gladly take any bitcoins you have lying around: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

MightyAlex200

by MightyAlex200 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 21:38

Wuzzy wrote:The node information above is wrong:
It must be “Yellow Lightstone”, not “Lightstone Yellow Off”. You should simply paste the description field of the node definition.

Yeah, I noticed that and fixed it with commit 90d22af.

Note that it may be empty and have multiple lines. You might want to truncate the text if it gets too long. And show the itemstring if the the description field it empty.

That also happened with pipeworks in the second video, I guess I'll try that out. Edit: I already had done that (replace description with itemstring if description is empty), but not the truncating, I'll do that.

The mod name “Mesecons Lightstone” is pulled right out of the mod's ass. Nowhere ever has this mod been called like this. I think this should be removed. It doesn't really matter. If the player wants to know the mod name, the player can just use the debug screen to see the full itemstring.

I think it's more convenient to have it show constantly rather than having to press f5. But I guess an option to turn it off couldn't hurt.

I suggest you post this mod twice. The server version goes here, the client version goes into the client mod forum.

That does sound like a good idea, I'll go do that now.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:32

MightyAlex200 wrote:There is now also new commands:
  • "/wittoff" - turn witt display off
  • "/witton" - turn witt display on (default)
  • "/wanimon" - turn witt animations on
  • "/wanimoff" - turn witt animations off (default)

I suggest instead of adding many chatcommands, doing something different on different params. Eg. "/witt on" instead of "/witton".

And you don't need two branches, there's a INIT variable from builtin which tells you whether it's used as csm or ssm.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

MightyAlex200

by MightyAlex200 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 16:26

DS-minetest wrote:I suggest instead of adding many chatcommands, doing something different on different params. Eg. "/witt on" instead of "/witton".

Yeah that does make more sense, I've fixed that with commit edb12ca
And you don't need two branches, there's a INIT variable from builtin which tells you whether it's used as csm or ssm.

I've (somewhat ironically) started another branch for that (sce, not functional yet), but I think my initial attempt (just trying to make master work in clientmods) was a bit naïve, I'll probably try another, more sane approach later.

Return to WIP Mods