Character is too tall or high

cainram

Character is too tall or high

by cainram » Post

I'm having an issue where my character is too 'high' in the world. It is like I'm levitating a little less than one node from the ground. If I go to a place where the space to walk is only two nodes high I clip into the node above and can't see. Also, ladders and vines, etc, don't work properly. I can climb them but can't walk forward off of them once I get to the top. I just bounce. I have tried flying around but this doesn't 'reset' the level at which I walk. This happened once before and went away somehow but I can't remember what I did. It wasn't always this way with this account, it just cropped up one day. Player is unusable.

This only is happening on my home server, not when I'm on the single player mode. My server is running Ubuntu 14.04 with Minetest v. 4.16. Client is Minetest 4.16 on macOS Sierra (10.12).

I'm sure I could just dump my stuff into a chest and delete the user from the server and create a new one with the same name (which is what I'll probably do) but I'd like to know why this happens or at least how to solve it. Is there a file on the server that I can modify or delete?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by cainram on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

kingoscargames
GitHub: kingoscargames
In-game: kingoscargames

Re: Character is too tall or high

by kingoscargames » Post

cainram

by cainram » Post

Thanks for the reply! That looks interesting and describes what I'm dealing with but my client and server are on the same version. I have only one mod installed and I haven't made any changes to the server or client since installation. The issue just cropped up out of nowhere. Other computers on my network with the same client version don't have the issue. In fact, I don't have Internet service of any kind at my house so both the server and the computers are incapable of updating even without my knowledge. By the way, I also just created a new player and it is doing the same thing...
I'm getting this error in the client on login: ERROR[AsyncWorker-0]: servers.minetest.net/list?proto_version_min=24&proto_version_max=35 not found (Timeout was reached) (response code 0)
Looks like it has to do with looking for other servers online (which it can't do because it is not connected to the internet) but it may be helpful.

cainram

by cainram » Post

I'm downloading the client referred to in the post to test your theory all the same... I'll let you know what happens

cainram

by cainram » Post

Ok, nope. I installed the client that was released just before the change that the linked post above talks about (the issue is in the release notes of the next daily build) and I'm still having the issue.

kingoscargames
GitHub: kingoscargames
In-game: kingoscargames

by kingoscargames » Post

cainram wrote:Ok, nope. I installed the client that was released just before the change that the linked post above talks about (the issue is in the release notes of the next daily build) and I'm still having the issue.
I dont know then.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

MTGame also had related changes so needs to be the version with the exact same date as the engine.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

The version number is 0.4.16, not 4.16.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

cainram

by cainram » Post

Byakuren wrote:The version number is 0.4.16, not 4.16.
Thanks, that must be why I'm not getting anywhere with this issue. I'm using a version of the software from far into the future that no one else has access to.

- John Titor

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

xD
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

scr267
In-game: scr267

by scr267 » Post

I'm having a similar problem: In my case the problem appears to be that NPC character textures appear 50% higher than the collisionbox; this makes them appear higher, or levitating:
npc-texture-position.png
npc-texture-position.png (361.63 KiB) Viewed 708 times
On the other hand, regular player textures appear at normal height, but the collisionbox is 50% above the texture.

By the way, I'm having this problem with a standard compilation based on tag 0.4.16. My only CMAKE selections were to build a server, and run_in_place.

I've tested this on the same system using Epel's CentOS build of minetest 0.4.16 and the issue does not appear.

(I'm on a CentOS 7 system, using SCLO for gcc and g++)

Any ideas?

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Incompatible character model. Use player_api from mtg and all other models will we off.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

scr267

by scr267 » Post

Thanks maikerumine; I'm not sure I understand your answer - I haven't written these mods, I'm using mobs_redo and mobs_npc, etc...

In an RPM packaged version of minetest 0.4.16, there is no problems.

In a compiled version of minetest 0.4.16 I get the problem.

Why would the mod's use of player_api differ from one to the other when I'm not changing them.

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

scr267 wrote:Thanks maikerumine; I'm not sure I understand your answer - I haven't written these mods, I'm using mobs_redo and mobs_npc, etc...

In an RPM packaged version of minetest 0.4.16, there is no problems.

In a compiled version of minetest 0.4.16 I get the problem.

Why would the mod's use of player_api differ from one to the other when I'm not changing them.
What version of minetest_game are you using?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

scr267

by scr267 » Post

Ok, thats more clear... and sorry I didn't catch on with the solution provided to the OP - I didn't realize they were referring to the minetest_game.

It looks like the problem was with the minetest_game version; I cloned the correct one to test it, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks!