[Solved] Can't craft on Android

papa

by papa » Post

I was playing Minetest on my Android smartphone yesterday and suddenly crafting stopped working. I can lay the ingredients in the propoper crafting slots according to the recipe, but the new item won't appear in the output slot. The result is the same for every recipe I've tried (planks, pick, shovel, flour, wool, ...).

I've upgraded the app to version 0.4.16.17, but no change.

Smelting, boxes, and everything else I've tried seems to be working OK.

Minetest without crafting is not very fun.

Any ideas?
Last edited by papa on Wed Oct 18, 2017 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

jas
IRC: Freenode

Re: Can't craft on Android

by jas » Post

That is weird, especially considering I just uninstalled it on my phone. I should reinstall it on my various devices, as I now have Android 5, 6, and 7. Did you know the ~/Minetest directory remains after uninstall? I think it can get quite big.

I thought at first you were talking about splitting stacks, which is difficult but not impossible. IIRC, it's a double-tap-hold-swipe. Tap once, hold on the second tap, with another finger swipe the stack to split it. Cumbersome, at best. I remember the crafting result and preview working in the past, so I'll test this now.

While on the topic of Android, I must reiterate that the client lacks the "Use" key - AUX1, default [E] on PC - entirely. This makes it impossible to utilize certain mod features that rely on this key being pressed.

Lastly, it appears the current development version of Minetest, https://github.com/minetest/minetest, fails to build on Android. I haven't tested, just heard it in conversation. It's possible, as I understand it, that the build scripts/files in the repository need updating. And I never even got around to learning how to build Minetest for Android when it actually worked.

Thanks. And have you tried plugging in a keyboard and mouse? I've tried a Bluetooth keyboard, it was terrible.

papa

by papa » Post

I use an old Motorola Droid 4 with a slide-out keyboard, so it's easier to play than 100% touch screen. Splitting stacks is certainly a pain.

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

Works for me. This was from a stock 0.4.16 server and a fresh 0.4.16.17 Android install from the Play Store. I'll try it with singerplayer on the phone, instead of connecting to a host.

Edit: Yeah, it still works for me, even in singleplayer. I opened up dcbl.duckdns.org:30003 if you want to connect to a stock server.

papa

by papa » Post

I tried connecting to jas's server from my phone and everything was peachy.

I still don't know what the problem is, but it seems to be located in the server portion of MT running on my smartphone.

papa

by papa » Post

Duh, jungle leaves.

I fixed the problem, but am embarrassed to confess the source.

The problem was not with my smartphone MT server. The problem was my accidentally dropping a block of jungle leaves in a crafting slot while I had the display brightness turned down so low I couldn't see the leaves sitting in the slot. I was unable to craft anything because to every recipe I tried I had unintentionally added a block of jungle leaves sitting invisibly in one of the slots. >:O

Upped the brightness, cleared the leaves out of the slot, and crafting is back to normal.