Uncapped framerate, more graphics options

Net_Bastard

Uncapped framerate, more graphics options

by Net_Bastard » Post

Let me start this off by saying that I love this game. The graphics engine, and the mod/texture pack support are definitely better than what even Minecraft itself offers. I have a few suggestions though:

Please get rid of the mandatory V-Sync. It really does hurt my performance and the whole game would be better without it.

More graphics options. The draw distance is too low, and I can't change it, even though I wish I could.

I really do like what you're doing, and don't take these as demands. Just take them as suggestions.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I can't speak for the vsync issue, but you can change the view distance with the + and - keys. What I wish I could do is get the game to display a bit further out behind the fog than it does now, so that the imagery actually disappears smoothly behind the fog. As it stands now, the further out you set the view distance, the further back the fog moves, but it always keeps those jagged edges visible.
Last edited by VanessaE on Sun May 13, 2012 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Uncapped framerate = hardware stress = less hardware lifetime.
Vsync doesn't reduce performance, it ensures your GPU doesn't render more frames than the screen can show.
You can change your view distance in minetest.conf or by pressing the + and - keys, and you can disable the fog using F3. (or enable_fog = false in minetest.conf)