[Game] Wynot Subgame [whynot]

bell07
GitHub: bell07

[Game] Wynot Subgame [whynot]

by bell07 » Post

Since I am on minetest I played and tried a lot of mods and created a "private mod collection". Since the collection gets changes rare only I started to review the collection merging them to a subgame.
During the review I checked my criteria for mods remained in my collection and defined them as "whynot" with some "why not criteria". See the Readme file on github.
Basically the game does not have any specific theme and do not try to clone anything. It is Minetest as perceived by me, it is the "minetest-diversity" Theme.

Why I do my collection public? To get feedback and improve the gameplay experience for (me at first and) other players. Further goals are
.. to get the existing mods better working together in one subgame. Get unambiguously recipes for example.
.. to provide a game the users can just test maybe yet unknown but great mods.

Github: https://github.com/minetest-whynot/whynot-game (User link)
The game is a generating result of https://github.com/minetest-whynot/whynot-builder (Developer link)
License: Each mod have own license. My game-related work is GPL-V3

The gameplay story the Whynot Game is about

Entering the game

the player sie Mintetest Game like area. After second look he notes the farming mod the tenplus1 version is used. And he hear sounds from ambience, the sky is under_sky and maybe lightning or weather(_pack) appears.
The world seems to be bare. In fact they are no other mapgen mods as from minetest_game, and some not intrusive mese_crystals ores, meseor, pbj_pup, tac_nayn.
Mapgen mods tends to take over the game so I am critical before applying mods changing the mapgen behaviour. I like the bare Minetest Game world that keeps all gameplay ways open to the player.
But the player can more then the MTG player because of mods like cozy, playeranim show_wielded_item or sprint. He see the hunger from hbhunger in hudbars.

Track the progress in inventory

looking to the inventory the player see enhanced sfinv with empty crafting guide and documentation. During the game play the player see in inventory only Items he know or he can craft. So beside the awards a second progress challenge is to reveal more items and see more new crafteable recipes.

Craft and build

the player collects items and reveals recipes. During the crafting additional items revealed and the player see a lot of crafteable decorative stuff like abriglass, homedecor, mydoors, myroofs, princess, ts_furniture, curtain, flower_pot, realchess, campfire, dice2, heads, mtg_plus, plasticbox, slats, and more!. some of them with unifieddyes support
Some selected mesecons items are available to build automated stuff.

Tools

During the crafting the player see after some time different tools that make life easier, like
ccompass, engrave, flyingcarpet, handholds, helicopter, maidroid, orbs_of_time, rainbowswords, subspacewalker, (boost_cart as mesecons-enabled replacedment for of MTG-carts)
Some tools enhanced by toolranks, woodcutting, wielded_light
For communication or minigames the laptop can be used.

Hungry player

The player see the hungry status, and see the next task, to get the food. Besides the farming stuff there are canned_food, rubenwardy's food, pie and waffles available
Last edited by bell07 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 07:54, edited 6 times in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Game] Wynot Subgame [whynot]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Well, why not?

---
someone had to do this, sorry.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

bell07

by bell07 » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Well, why not?

---
someone had to do this, sorry.
Sure, why not ;-)

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Build scripts updated, now a proper "sources" file is generated: mod_sources.txt

bell07

by bell07 » Post

I wrote the gameplay story in the first post for the subgame to convey the subgame feeling.

Which "must-have" mods are missed? Any other suggestions or hints?

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Added mobs_redo and mobs_monster for the first mobs.
mobs_monster does not take over the game because all of them spawns only with max_light=7 So it is possible to get monster-free areas by light. Exceptions are lava_flan => spawns in lava only and sand_monster => spawns only on desert sand. It is ok for me if the sand_monsters take over the desert sand areas.

Did a deeper look and a short test for mobs_animal. The Animals take over the game :-( There is no way to stop the spawn this mobs. Still waiting for a mod that does spawn animals on mapgen, and after them really rare only, so get mob-free areas possible by killing them, and the farm and pet animals by wed them.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Summary for this month:

> 30 commits (~1 commit per day) Most of them contains upstream - updates, bugfixes and adjustments

New Mods added: hopper, mtfoods

Removed mod: hovercraft. Noticed the mod is lagging and is to powerfull for survival. I was able to reach the end of the world (at 31000x31000) in a hour.
The helicopter and flying carpet still ingame for fast travel. The ccompass does have teleporting capabilities now

Still waiting for proposals and ideas what should be included. The game feels currently as if it is about farming and food only at the time. But the game is basically stable as is.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

The game is released now. That means there are no big changes planned anymore, the game is playable as is.

The release does not mean the game is "finished" or "completed". I still apply upstream changes and bugfixes to the mods following the Rolling release strategy. Of course additional ideas welcome which mod should be added to the game to improve the gameplay.

Summary for the last both mods:
- Lot of bugfixes and updates (~40 commits)
- Skinsdb supports 1.8er Skins now
- Weather uses cloud API for more ambience
- View of awards in inventory is beter organized
- Laptop mod added for minigames and mail communication

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Why not add Ma & Pop's Furniture Mod?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

bell07

by bell07 » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:Why not add Ma & Pop's Furniture Mod?
Quality. Still not all media files (textures, sounds) follow the name conventions and uses an unique prefix. Therefore overlaps to other mods are possible. It is ok for me if the prefix is "FM_*" or "mp_*", as the most files already named (why not the same prefix?), but there are "radio_*" "channel_*" and "smoke_detector.ogg" I see medium risk an other mod have files with the same name.

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

It'll get fixed soon enough.
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Game status update for the last 2 month:
- jumping mod added
- clothing mod added
- ambience_plus replaced by tenplus1/ambience because of missed multiplayer support
- wielded_light does shine dropped items now
- cherry-picked endless_apples from minetest_game/master
- A lot of mods upstream updates !!

totya

by totya » Post

Hi!

Thanks for your job! This mod looks like good, but seem to me slightly instable. After few minutes play, I exit from the game. Next time, after load world, I got this messages:
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2018-09-09 15:31:32: WARNING[Server]: 3d_armor: Detached armor inventory is nil [set_player_armor]
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'smart_inventory' in callback on_joinplayer(): ...not-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/crecipes.lua:308: attempt to call method 'is_revealed' (a nil value)
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...not-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/crecipes.lua:308: in function 'get_revealed_recipes_with_items'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...not-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/crecipes.lua:338: in function 'get_recipes_craftable'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...ot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/pages/crafting.lua:626: in function '_click'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...ynot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:898: in function 'submit'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...ot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/pages/crafting.lua:494: in function 'restore'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...ot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/pages/crafting.lua:723: in function 'smartfs_callback'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...ster\mods\player\smart_inventory/inventory_framework.lua:75: in function 'form_setup_callback'
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...ynot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:211: in function <...ynot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:207>
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ERROR[Main]: ...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:420: in function <...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:400>
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ACTION[Server]: [doc] Wrote player data into D:\NetOK\Jatek\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\worlds\WhyWorld/doc.mt.
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ACTION[Main]: [doc] Server shuts down. Player data is about to be saved.
2018-09-09 15:31:32: ACTION[Main]: [doc] Wrote player data into D:\NetOK\Jatek\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\worlds\WhyWorld/doc.mt.
Exit, Next start, same error, and I can't load last world, so I can't to play.

Edit.: If I use this mod in default "minetest_game" with my save, I got errors too... so this is smart_inventory mod bug.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Thank you for the bug report.
I see it is a smart_inventory (my work too) issue but still no idea why it happens. Which Items do you have in your inventory if the issue happens?
Can you please open the libs/crecipes.lua file in text browser and add in line 308 between the lines

Code: Select all

local crecipe = crecipes.crecipes[recipe]
and

if crecipe and crecipe:is_revealed(playername, revealed_items_cache) then
next code

if not crecipe then
	print("no crecipe for", dump(recipe))
elseif not crecipe.is_revealed then
	print("no is_revealed for", dump(crecipe))
end
I should look like

function crecipes.get_revealed_recipes_with_items(playername, reference_items)
	local recipelist = {}
	local revealed_items_cache = {}
	for itemname, _ in pairs(reference_items) do
		if cache.citems[itemname] and cache.citems[itemname].in_craft_recipe then
			for _, recipe in ipairs(cache.citems[itemname].in_craft_recipe) do
if not crecipe then
end
					recipelist[recipe] = crecipe
				end
Then test again. If the error appears, you should get more output about the issue. This output may help me to find the issue cause

totya

by totya » Post

bell07 wrote:Thank you for the bug report.
Hi!

function crecipes.get_revealed_recipes_with_items(playername, reference_items)
	local recipelist = {}
	local revealed_items_cache = {}
	for itemname, _ in pairs(reference_items) do
		if cache.citems[itemname] and cache.citems[itemname].in_craft_recipe then
			for _, recipe in ipairs(cache.citems[itemname].in_craft_recipe) do
				if not crecipe then
				end				
					recipelist[recipe] = crecipe
				end
Result:

2018-09-09 20:48:05: WARNING[Main]: TextureSource::getPalette(): the specified palette image "unifieddyes_palette_extended.png" is larger than 256 pixels, using the first 256.
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game. 
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
2018-09-09 20:48:10: WARNING[Server]: 3d_armor: Detached armor inventory is nil [set_player_armor]
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'smart_inventory' in callback on_joinplayer(): ...not-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/crecipes.lua:313: attempt to call method 'is_revealed' (a nil value)
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...not-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/crecipes.lua:313: in function 'get_revealed_recipes_with_items'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...not-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/crecipes.lua:343: in function 'get_recipes_craftable'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...ot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/pages/crafting.lua:626: in function '_click'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...ynot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:898: in function 'submit'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...ot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/pages/crafting.lua:498: in function 'restore'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...ot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/pages/crafting.lua:723: in function 'smartfs_callback'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...ster\mods\player\smart_inventory/inventory_framework.lua:75: in function 'form_setup_callback'
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...ynot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:211: in function <...ynot-master\mods\player\smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:207>
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ERROR[Main]: 	...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:420: in function <...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:400>
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ACTION[Main]: [doc] Server shuts down. Player data is about to be saved.
2018-09-09 20:48:10: ACTION[Main]: [doc] Wrote player data into D:\NetOK\Jatek\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\worlds\WhyWorld/doc.mt.
Okay, I think the good way, if I sent to you the "world" (before this modification) as zip file. Remember: this world about after 10 minutes play only.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoiwn6tdgqxi4 ... d.zip?dl=0

bell07

by bell07 » Post

The world is playeable on my server without any issues.
Can you pls. upload your debug.txt? In your output I do not see any additional expected info.

Because you have issues with LegendofMinetest I fear something is wrong with your Minetest in general.

totya

by totya » Post

bell07 wrote:The world is playeable on my server without any issues.
Can you pls. upload your debug.txt? In your output I do not see any additional expected info.

Because you have issues with LegendofMinetest I fear something is wrong with your Minetest in general.
Hi!

I play local only. The Minetest general is fresh install, only few graphics option changed. The game works, for example in Minitest_Game the "Unified Inventory" mod is works.

Okay, debug.txt with your mod load and crash:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uvrx4n2q6vjq ... g.txt?dl=0

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Still no idea what is happens, and still no expected output in debug.txt.
To be sure... Pls add

if not crecipe then

else
   print("nothing above happens", dump(recipe), dump(crecipe))
end

and try again.

In second step, I did some cleanup in upstream now . Please try the https://github.com/bell07/minetest-smart_inventory if the cleanup does solve your issue

totya

by totya » Post

bell07 wrote:Still no idea what is happens, and still no expected output in debug.txt.
To be sure... Pls add

if not crecipe then

else
   print("nothing above happens", dump(recipe), dump(crecipe))
end

and try again.
With this modification, sometimes game is loaded, but often not.
bell07 wrote:In second step, I did some cleanup in upstream now . Please try the https://github.com/bell07/minetest-smart_inventory if the cleanup does solve your issue
Okay, I changed in WhyNot game / smart inventory mod to the new version. Now, the game started normally, anytime!. :) Ops, one mob kill me, but is not bug. :D

Thank you!

Edit.: Debug.txt if you interested, I started your game, and exit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/flmk29g899rn6 ... y.txt?dl=0

bell07

by bell07 » Post

smart_inventory updated in whynot. Now the game should be more stable for users experienced such issues

bell07

by bell07 » Post

In preparation for Minetest 5 I updated the Whynot game. Major changes are:
  • minetest_game updated to version 5
  • smart_inventory replaced by sfinv + craftguide + smart_sfinv Modpack
  • Player Skins uses mods from my enhanced player_api modpack. Skin selector is the skinsdb5
All other mods are as usual at the least upstream/master

The version is in the mt-5 branch till the Minetest 5 is released. The old version is in maintanance mode.

Still wait for suggestions which other must-have mods should be applied to the game or which mods are miss-placed.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Github change: The mt-5 branch was moved to master, the old master to mt-0.4 for backup reason.

The game is available in Minetest content database. I plan to update the CDB release once per month with latest git version.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Heum, IMHO, you could add :

Mobs_Sky
Mobs_Water
Fishing
Throwing (bows, arrows)

to have more interactions with the world.
Also (for now), I still have not found an animal (I'm currently testing your new MT5 version ;) ) in the SinglePlayer world I have created.... Bug? 0.o
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Mobs_sky and Mobs_water I considered already, but decided to not include them. The spawn logic is against whynot rules. You can not get rid of the creatures, It is not possible to get Mobs-free areas.
I still wait for an Mapgen-driven spawn mechanism that does spawn mobs on generate and only very rare in already generated areas.
At the time only the mobs_monsters are in game.These are restrained, spawns only by night and you can get monster-free areas using light sources.

For fishing and throwing there are a lot of mods and forks. Which of them do you mean? Pls. write the url to mods source.

gulyone

by gulyone » Post

hm hello. I'm new here but i'm a long time programmer.
I want you to know that "whynot subgame" is not suitable for minetest servers (at least on windows, didn't test on nix)
despite this, it is very good at standalone gameplay (without friends LOL)

1) config and run a server with minetest 5.0.1 stable win64, whynot enabled
2) run a client and connect
Great it works!
3) disconnect the client (or close the minetest UI of the client)
4) run again the client and reconnect with same ID and pw
... And your server will hang with a wonderfull ' ' nil script and null values reported

any clue? thanks and regards

server launched by command line
minetest.exe --server --address nnn.nnn.nnn --worldname myworld --config C:\Games\minetest-5.0.1-win64\minetest.conf
or server launched within minetest, anyway => the secondary client reconnecting breaks all
So if you have 20 friends playing, and for some reason one of them disconnects and reconnects, your server goes suddenly DOWN, the remaining friends lost in space, until you restart manually the server lol