[Mod] lib_ecology [lib_ecology][git]

by ShadMOrdre » Fri Jan 19, 2018 22:29

MAJOR UPDATE: 2018-12-12
Change log.
200+ Biomes
50+ trees
50+ plants
No Biome_lib dependencies
2 ABMS, leaf decay, and some saplings. Saplings will get updated to use node timers.
All trees are now Lua schematics.
Textures reduced to 16x16 4bit(16 color).

Combines trees and plants from default, flowers, flowers_plus, moretrees, plant_lib, ethereal, valleys/valleys_c, trees, and basic_trees. Some ethereal and valleys biomes continue to exist, albeit, with refined definitions to place them appropriately. There are still some code relics from ethereal and valleys_c, but all items are renamed, and so should not conflict with any of the above mention mods. However, due to many of those mods clearing ores, decorations, and/or biomes, you may or may not see what you expect. This mod does clear biomes and decorations, to get rid of the defaults. I'll add a setting to enable user selection of this option.

Biomes are defined by 5 temperature points over 5 humidity points for 25 climate zones. Each climate zone is then given up to 8 sub biomes based on altitude, for a total of 200 biomes. The additional ethereal and valleys biomes fill out the rest.

Can be ran with Australia and Aeotora to really pack a visual punch. Working on making this a little easier via settings, and perhaps pull requests to those mods.

This should be ran on a new world, but will work on existing worlds where the map has not yet been generated.

Remember to rename to lib_ecology and to put into the mods folder.

NEWEST DOWNLOAD: https://github.com/ShadMOrdre/lib_ecology/tree/ShadMOrdre-v2.0
Previous Version: https://github.com/ShadMOrdre/lib_ecology/archive/master.zip
Browse Code: https://github.com/ShadMOrdre/lib_ecology

DEPENDENCIES: None
OPTIONAL DEP: default?, farming?, lib_materials?

LICENSES: LGPLv2.1, for code by me, CC-BY-SA-4.0 for graphics by me. Other licenses apply for code and graphics done by others. Where found, those licenses included.

SCREENSHOTS:
Attachments
screenshot_3.jpg
(250.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_1.jpg
(401.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_2.jpg
(222.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Fri Dec 14, 2018 07:12, edited 4 times in total.
My other virtual world is an Opensimulator.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

ShadMOrdre

In-game: shadmordre

Re: [Mod] Ethereal Valleys [lib_ecology][git]

by ShadMOrdre » Mon Jan 22, 2018 06:50

More screenshots.

Attachments
screenshot_04.png
(846.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_03.png
(926.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_02.png
(716.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 20:10

Interesting, very good work. This is really the kind of things I'd like to see in the game.
There was a small bug for which I propose a fix in a pull request.
Then I launched the game and started exploring the world for several minutes. This mix between Valleys and Ethereal seems a great idea.

I was walking in the bamboo forest as far as I could see, and suddenly this amazing green valley opened to my view, emerging from the fog.

But, as you said, this is very expensive in terms of memory usage, and my very weak computer has nearly completely filled its RAM + swap. I don't really understand why it needs so much memory, there may be some possible optimizations. That said, I've not seen the code in details and don't know exactly what it does.

I'd would be very interested in working with you on this project.
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 04:36

Firstly, thanks for valleys. And also to duane, for his contributions. This work is really still mostly ethereal and valleys_c code, so you should be able to dig right in. I hope I didn't garble it up too much. Filenames and variables are still pretty much the same. I must admit, some of the code is still foreign to me at this time, ie, mapgen and tree generation.

I like how you generated and colored some trees by code. I'd like to think that between your code and sofars luscious mod, I also might be able to come up with better biome blending as well as tree uniqueness and colorization.

My goal is to get this more modularized, getting each of the plant nodes, tree nodes, and ground nodes culled, sorted and working at least as they do now. Also, by adding both biome sets, I have found some biomes to either be too similar, or overlapping to the point that I don't know if all biomes are being generated. But by digging in to all this, I can sort them out, and get them to blend better. I also want to get the mapgen down to just terrain, so that it's parameters can be played with easier. Adding custom settings to enable/disable aspects or breadth of this mod can also help users on more modest devices, while still getting the experience.

I must admit, I originally used this mod on mg_valleys, but using custom params on mgv7 with the mapgen from this mod using noise values from your valleys lua mapgen is providing some interesting locations as well. Flatter terrains with more gentle hilly areas.

Thanks for your interest Gael, I'm flattered that this caught your attention.

Oh, by the way, I merged the pull request.

Shad

ShadMOrdre

ShadMOrdre

Re: [Mod] lib_ecology [lib_ecology][git]

by ShadMOrdre » Fri Dec 14, 2018 07:41

Added new screenshots.

Attachments
screenshot_10.jpg
(375.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to WIP Mods