[Mod] Lucky Portal [luckyportal]

Dokimi

GitHub: DokimiCU

[Mod] Lucky Portal [luckyportal]

by Dokimi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 03:22

Teleportation the way it ought to be: terrifyingly dangerous!

Allows the player to create unstable wormholes.

When used for the first time the wormhole creates a pair of linked 'space-time rifts' between the player's location and a random location.

The player can then travel back and forth via this wormhole, however it is like playing Russian Roulette. Eventually the wormhole will collapse (or even redirect), potentially killing or stranding the player.

(for the geeks: this is a Black Swan risk management problem. As an interesting psychology experiment try letting someone else use these wormholes... without explaining the risk - ask them if they feel safe!)

Caution: this is a destructive mod. It is statistically unlikely you will blast a wormhole into someone's kitchen, but not impossible. Wormhole use and collapse can cause some carnage!

License:

Code is licensed under GNU LGPLv2+.

Textures and sound are licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

Dependencies:
- fire
- tnt

Crafting
recipe = {
{"default:coal_lump", "", "default:coal_lump"},
{"", "default:mese_crystal_fragment", ""},
{"default:mese_crystal_fragment", "default:coal_lump", "default:mese_crystal_fragment"}
}

DOWNLOAD

View Code at Github:
https://github.com/DokimiCU/luckyportal.git

Attachments
luckyportal.png
(263.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Dokimi on Fri Mar 30, 2018 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

AlexYst

GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

Re: [Mod] Lucky Portal [luckyportal]

by AlexYst » Fri Mar 30, 2018 03:58

That's pretty fun to play around with! I had to pull one out of creative mod though. How do you obtain these in a survival game? After warping around a bit, all the portals started sending me to 0,0,0. Even the portal at 0,0,0 would send me back to itself. I think that might be a bug.

Also, could you provide a direct link to the ZIP file instead of only a link to the GitHub page (<https://codeload.github.com/DokimiCU/luckyportal/zip/master>)? GitHub's website is poorly designed and doesn't function unless you toggle JavaScript on, which is annoying.

Dokimi

GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 06:10

Added recipe above - it should work in survival mode.

Couldn't reproduce that bug, but I know what would cause it.

If a 'rift' has no other linked 'rift' it will send you to 0,0,0. It stores the position of it's paired rift in metadata. So if the rift has no metadata... it seems to send you there.

This only happened in development when I was still able to place 'luckportal:rift' (what you should get from crafting is 'luckyportal:luckyportal'). So...

1) There is a bug somewhere - maybe with wormhole collapse?
2) Something wiped node metadata for you (maybe the mod? maybe not?)
3) You were placing 'rifts' not 'portals' (they look the same)

(also... I didn't know how to link to zip, thanks!)

AlexYst

GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

by AlexYst » Fri Mar 30, 2018 06:55

Dokimi wrote:Added recipe above - it should work in survival mode.

Sweet. Thank you!

You weren't kidding about these things being destructive. They've burnt holes in my stone brick room! I thought it was safe there as there was nothing flammable, but I was wrong. The textures and sound effects in this are pretty cool, too.
Dokimi wrote:3) You were placing 'rifts' not 'portals' (they look the same)

Ah, I seem to have both in my inventory, and I think I know why. I accidentally dropped sand on one near the beginning of when I was playing. The sand broke the node (much to my surprise) and caused it to drop itself, giving me the version players shouldn't have. Here, have a one-line bug patch: <https://github.com/DokimiCU/luckyportal/pull/1>.
Dokimi wrote:(also... I didn't know how to link to zip, thanks!)

Yeah, no problem! I didn't know how either, I had to check my download history after downloading it.

RSLRedstonier

GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

by RSLRedstonier » Sun Apr 01, 2018 23:17

This solves the problem of wanting to be able to have players teleport but not in an over powered way there are always risks to busting a whole in the fabric of space
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568

Return to WIP Mods