[Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

[Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 15:25

Image

Melterns is an in-development mod for Minetest 5.0.0+ that adds molten metals, melting, casting and creating tools.
This mod is inspired by the Tinkers Construct mod for Minecraft, however it's much less-featured due to the current limitations of the Minetest API.
None of the components used in this mod have been taken from TC - everything is my original creation.

Depends on fluid_lib.

Source code: https://gitlab.icynet.eu/evert/melterns
License: MIT

Some documentation is available under the Wiki tab.
Last edited by IcyDiamond on Wed Jun 20, 2018 17:01, edited 4 times in total.
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
cx384
Member
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 09:38
GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by cx384 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 16:31

Nice, finally someone used the the set_tool_capabilities feature from minetest 0.5-dev to create a Tinkers Construct like mod.
Can your read this?
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 16:44

cx384 wrote:Nice, finally someone used the the set_tool_capabilities feature from minetest 0.5-dev to create a Tinkers Construct like mod.

Indeed. Now it just needs a way to set item texture from metadata and it's perfect.
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
Fixer
Member
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23
Location: Ukraine
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Sat Apr 07, 2018 17:32

Fixerol wrote:Very nice, I hope you succeed with this.

Thank you!
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
GamingAssociation39
Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:09
Location: Maryland, USA
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by GamingAssociation39 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 17:36

Oh wow awesome I've been looking for help to make something like this am glad someone had done their attempt (because of system limitations). It looks sooooooooooooooo awesome. Thanks for making this.
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Sat Apr 07, 2018 18:10

GamingAssociation39 wrote:Oh wow awesome I've been looking for help to make something like this am glad someone had done their attempt (because of system limitations). It looks sooooooooooooooo awesome. Thanks for making this.

And thank you for the kind words!
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
RSLRedstonier
Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 21:00
Location: some were in middle earth
GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by RSLRedstonier » Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:39

FINALLY, somebody more experienced than me made an attempt
I started working on something like this but then stopped

is there/could you add an api for registering our own materials into molten materials?
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568
 

User avatar
TenPlus1
Member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 13:38
GitHub: tenplus1
 

User avatar
GamingAssociation39
Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:09
Location: Maryland, USA
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by GamingAssociation39 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 17:41

I can't get 0.5.0 unpacked from 7z :( Could anyone help?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!
 

User avatar
RSLRedstonier
Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 21:00
Location: some were in middle earth
GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by RSLRedstonier » Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:01

are there any mt api changes in 0.5 other than player pov changes?
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be compatible with 4.16
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568
 

User avatar
texmex
Member
 
Posts: 1063
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 21:08
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by texmex » Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:42

RSLRedstonier wrote:are there any mt api changes in 0.5 other than player pov changes?
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be compatible with 4.16


cx384 wrote:Nice, finally someone used the the set_tool_capabilities feature from minetest 0.5-dev to create a Tinkers Construct like mod.
 

User avatar
Evil_Gabe
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 06:34
Location: Finland
GitHub: thecow275
In-game: thecow275 - HermanFarman - Evil_Gabe

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by Evil_Gabe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 05:38

You could actually make a api so that other mods can register items for the smeltery for example some mod ads a new ore type there could be a temperature required for it this could be made to be even better than what minecraft has with Tcon(tinkers) when a good well documented api is established also keep the good work up i like where this is going already
-if you cant find the issue in your code rewrite the sphagetti you wrote
 

User avatar
RSLRedstonier
Member
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 21:00
Location: some were in middle earth
GitHub: RSL-Redstonier
In-game: RSLRedstonier

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by RSLRedstonier » Wed Apr 25, 2018 17:55

texmex wrote:
RSLRedstonier wrote:are there any mt api changes in 0.5 other than player pov changes?
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be compatible with 4.16


cx384 wrote:Nice, finally someone used the the set_tool_capabilities feature from minetest 0.5-dev to create a Tinkers Construct like mod.

oh.
wait.
0.0
does this mean we can change the tool capabilities in-game per individual item stack instead of having to register several similar items and use replace the item? if so how is this data stored in the itemstack? metadata?
"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

try out my skytest mod always being updated!
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17568
 

Byakuren
Member
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 01:59
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by Byakuren » Fri May 11, 2018 21:20

RSLRedstonier wrote:
texmex wrote:
RSLRedstonier wrote:are there any mt api changes in 0.5 other than player pov changes?
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be compatible with 4.16


cx384 wrote:Nice, finally someone used the the set_tool_capabilities feature from minetest 0.5-dev to create a Tinkers Construct like mod.

oh.
wait.
0.0
does this mean we can change the tool capabilities in-game per individual item stack instead of having to register several similar items and use replace the item? if so how is this data stored in the itemstack? metadata?


It's stored in metadata, yes, but you're supposed to use set_tool_capabilities to set it.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Wed May 16, 2018 11:07

RSLRedstonier wrote:FINALLY, somebody more experienced than me made an attempt
I started working on something like this but then stopped

is there/could you add an api for registering our own materials into molten materials?


Evil_Gabe wrote:You could actually make a api so that other mods can register items for the smeltery for example some mod ads a new ore type there could be a temperature required for it this could be made to be even better than what minecraft has with Tcon(tinkers) when a good well documented api is established also keep the good work up i like where this is going already


Yes, it is possible to register metals, but the API needs to be simplified, cleaned up and documented. I might implement temperature later as well. If you really want to, you can look into the various
Code: Select all
register.lua
files to see how the materials are added in the first place.
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
csirolli
Member
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 21:46
Location: Florida, USA
GitHub: ChristianSirolli
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by csirolli » Fri May 18, 2018 04:50

I will definitely use this in my wip metals mod once the api is cleaned up.
Jesus is the only Way to heaven, the only saving Truth, and the only Life that is worth living.
 

User avatar
GamingAssociation39
Member
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:09
Location: Maryland, USA
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by GamingAssociation39 » Thu May 31, 2018 17:20

I can't figure out how this works :(
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Fri Jun 08, 2018 18:54

The mod source has been moved to my own GitLab instance: https://gitlab.icynet.eu/evert/melterns
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
MechKit
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 15:12
GitHub: mechkit
In-game: mechkit

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by MechKit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 15:17

The gitlab wiki page is not viewable without signing in to icynet.eu. Is it is suppose to be publicly viewable?
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Wed Jul 25, 2018 15:45

MechKit wrote:The gitlab wiki page is not viewable without signing in to icynet.eu. Is it is suppose to be publicly viewable?

I was able to access if while logged out just fine, are you sure it's https://gitlab.icynet.eu/evert/melterns/wikis/home?
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
MechKit
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 15:12
GitHub: mechkit
In-game: mechkit
 

User avatar
MechKit
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 15:12
GitHub: mechkit
In-game: mechkit

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by MechKit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 18:08

Oh, and should I assume from "Melterns is an in-development mod for Minetest 0.5.0+" that I should not expect it to work on 0.4.16?

It looks like a fun mod; it is tempting to try the beta version of minetest.
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Sat Jul 28, 2018 15:34

MechKit wrote:Oh, and should I assume from "Melterns is an in-development mod for Minetest 0.5.0+" that I should not expect it to work on 0.4.16?

It looks like a fun mod; it is tempting to try the beta version of minetest.

Unfortunately, this mod will not work on any version below 5.0.0, because it uses the new Tool Capabilities feature.
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 

User avatar
IcyDiamond
Member
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:55
Location: Estonia
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

Re: [Mod] Melterns - Tinkers in Minetest [melterns]

by IcyDiamond » Sat Jul 28, 2018 16:52

A little bit of documentation has been created: https://gitlab.icynet.eu/evert/melterns/wikis/API-Documentation
Also fixed a few crashes.
Web developer | Minetest modder | Systems Administrator | Donate
Mods - elepower | melterns
 


Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests