[Mod] Social Tags [socialtags]

Orby
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 03:59
Location: Baltimore, MD
GitHub: orbitaldecay
IRC: orbitaldecay
In-game: Orby

[Mod] Social Tags [socialtags]

by Orby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 03:33

Description
Social tags is a mod for Minetest 0.4.17.1. It creates support for @ mentions and hash tags that can be used to send messages to specific players or groups of players whether they are online or offline. More specifically

  • Mention a player name using the '@' tag anywhere in a chat message to send the message to them privately. Mention multiple players to send to multiple recipients (e.g. 'Hey @orby, this mod is cool!')
  • Mention a channel name using the '#' tag in a chat message to send to all players who are subscribed to that channel (e.g. 'Hey #devs, add this cool feature I want!')
  • /subscribe to or /unsubscribe from any channel. All players are automatically subscribed to #all on their first join (e.g. '/unsubscribe #all' to unsubscribe from the #all channel).
  • All @ mentions and # channel messages that are sent while you are offline will be logged. You will be notified of pending messages when you next join and will be able to read them.

Check out a demo at hed.oni.st:30001. Give @orby a shout ;)

License
CC0

Dependencies
None

Links
https://github.com/orbitaldecay/socialtags/archive/master.zip
https://github.com/orbitaldecay/socialtags

Images
Image
Image
Last edited by Orby on Fri Jul 06, 2018 18:49, edited 2 times in total.
 

User avatar
octacian
Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 22:18
Location: BC, Canada
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: [Mod] Social Tags [0.2] [socialtags]

by octacian » Thu Jul 05, 2018 15:11

This is a really nice mod! I'm sure it could be incredibly useful on a server. I'd use it on my own if I were still planning to host a server.

BTW though, there is no need to depend on default to check the shout privilege. All but two of the privileges available when playing Minetest Game (creative and home) are actually registered by builtin, a mod that is integrated into the engine and handles a lot of boilerplate code, including stuff such as detecting chatcommands, and OFC, registering many of the privileges found by default no matter what game you play (i.e. fly, fast, noclip, shout, protection_bypass, etc...).

TL;DR: You don't need to depend on default for shout, it's registered by a builtin mod.

Also, I notice how you have the ZIP download for the mod hosted on a different site. Not sure if you're aware or not, but you can get a link directly from GitHub for release ZIP file. For example, release 0.1 and release 0.2 (accessed from the Source Code and ZIP links in the releases page of GitHub). You can even get a direct ZIP link to the latest master: https://github.com/orbitaldecay/socialtags/archive/master.zip (from the "Download ZIP" button under "Clone or Download"). Anyways, you may have another reason for hosting them elsewhere, but I just figured I'd make sure you were aware of the capabilities of GitHub, as I believe it's a little simpler to just directly use it.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
 

Orby
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 03:59
Location: Baltimore, MD
GitHub: orbitaldecay
IRC: orbitaldecay
In-game: Orby

Re: [Mod] Social Tags [0.2] [socialtags]

by Orby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 15:34

octacian wrote:This is a really nice mod! I'm sure it could be incredibly useful on a server. I'd use it on my own if I were still planning to host a server.

BTW though, there is no need to depend on default to check the shout privilege. All but two of the privileges available when playing Minetest Game (creative and home) are actually registered by builtin, a mod that is integrated into the engine and handles a lot of boilerplate code, including stuff such as detecting chatcommands, and OFC, registering many of the privileges found by default no matter what game you play (i.e. fly, fast, noclip, shout, protection_bypass, etc...).

TL;DR: You don't need to depend on default for shout, it's registered by a builtin mod.


Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.

octacian wrote:Also, I notice how you have the ZIP download for the mod hosted on a different site. Not sure if you're aware or not, but you can get a link directly from GitHub for release ZIP file. For example, release 0.1 and release 0.2 (accessed from the Source Code and ZIP links in the releases page of GitHub). You can even get a direct ZIP link to the latest master: https://github.com/orbitaldecay/socialtags/archive/master.zip (from the "Download ZIP" button under "Clone or Download"). Anyways, you may have another reason for hosting them elsewhere, but I just figured I'd make sure you were aware of the capabilities of GitHub, as I believe it's a little simpler to just directly use it.


I hosted the zip separately because the github hosting gets the mod directory name wrong. I wanted to offer a download where the user could simply download, unzip, and go, without needing to rename the directory. But again, thanks!
 

User avatar
octacian
Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 22:18
Location: BC, Canada
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: [Mod] Social Tags [0.2] [socialtags]

by octacian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 18:29

Orby wrote:I hosted the zip separately because the github hosting gets the mod directory name wrong. I wanted to offer a download where the user could simply download, unzip, and go, without needing to rename the directory. But again, thanks!


Ah, yes, that is a very common problem. However, there's also a very simple solution. Add a mod.conf file to your mod with one line, as below.
Code: Select all
name = socialtags


Then no matter the name of the mod directory, it will still work perfectly fine. In general whenever you make a mod you should always include a mod.conf. I'd suggest you check the lua_api.txt regarding it, as it also replaces depends.txt in 5.0.0 (although depends.txt currently remains for compatibility, so, it's best to include both in the meantime).
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
 

Orby
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 03:59
Location: Baltimore, MD
GitHub: orbitaldecay
IRC: orbitaldecay
In-game: Orby

Re: [Mod] Social Tags [socialtags]

by Orby » Fri Jul 06, 2018 18:49

Thanks for the tip. Someone was kind enough to fix it and post a merge request :)
 

Orby
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 03:59
Location: Baltimore, MD
GitHub: orbitaldecay
IRC: orbitaldecay
In-game: Orby

Re: [Mod] Social Tags [socialtags]

by Orby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 02:58

Can now use the handle_chat api with a non-player sender name. This allows 3rd party mods to use the social tags api to send messages to channels and users easily (e.g. socialtags.handle_chat("$from_your_mod", "Hey #all, the mod has something to say!"))
 


Return to Mod Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: orwell and 10 guests