Wooden Bucket [wooden_bucket]

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Wooden Bucket [wooden_bucket]

by Hume2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58

Wooden Bucket
Hello everyone!

This mod is simple. It adds a bucket made of wood. Wooden bucket can hold only water or river water, not lava. This bucket is good so you can go farming before you obtain some iron.

License:
code: LGPL v. 2.1
textures: CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dependencies:

Download:
direct zip: https://gitlab.com/h2mm/wooden_bucket/-/archive/master/wooden_bucket-master.zip
GitLab repository: https://gitlab.com/h2mm/wooden_bucket
Attachments
craft.jpg
(7.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
shot.jpg
(114.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

Re: Wooden Bucket [wooden_bucket]

by Sokomine » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25

Nice! I was looking for a wooden bucket. However..it does seem to be a copy of the bucket code from MTG, with a few changes done? I'm not very satisifed with cut&paste code. Those things tend to develop apart over time and are difficult to maintain. It would be much better if the bucket code from MTG could be changed so that it allows for diffrent types of buckets. Admittedly, there're not that many buckets you might want to have, so there was probably not enough need before. But...a steel bucket, a wooden bucket (=not suitable for lava), a clay bucket (great material for it), glass and bottles from the vessels mod...they could all be buckets. RealTest even adds a ton of buckets for all those diffrent metals it comes with. It would be great if the bucket mod could get extended and become more flexible. Perhaps opening an issue on Github and/or offering a PR might be a good solution if you have the time to do it.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 13:29

Sokomine wrote:But...a steel bucket, a wooden bucket (=not suitable for lava), a clay bucket (great material for it), glass and bottles from the vessels mod...they could all be buckets. RealTest even adds a ton of buckets for all those diffrent metals it comes with. It would be great if the bucket mod could get extended and become more flexible.

Yes, a bucket API would be pretty awesome. Something like

Code: Select all
bucket.register('modname:bucketname', {
    material = 'modname:itemname',
    textures = { 'modname_bucketname_empty.png', 'modname_bucketname_full.png' },
    holds = { 'liquid:one', 'liquid:two', 'liquid:etc' }
})

So modders can register buckets of material that hold all of holds liquids with textures being the bucket design.

wziard

by wziard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 14:49

the recipe for a boat should maybe change. For now it is the same as a wooden bucket I think?

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 20:11

wziard wrote:the recipe for a boat should maybe change. For now it is the same as a wooden bucket I think?

No, they're different. A boat only uses two y slots while this mod's crafting recipe uses 3 y slots

Stix

IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 22:15

Lone_Wolf wrote:
wziard wrote:the recipe for a boat should maybe change. For now it is the same as a wooden bucket I think?

No, they're different. A boat only uses two y slots while this mod's crafting recipe uses 3 y slots

All of you have it wrong, the recipe for a boat is as follows:

XXX
WXW

where X = nothing and W = group:wood.

If you weren't sure a quick glance at the mods init.lua file would have told you that...
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 22:37

Stix wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

All of you have it wrong, the recipe for a boat is as follows:

XXX y slot 1
WXW y slot 2
WWW y slot 3

where X = nothing and W = group:wood.

If you weren't sure a quick glance at the mods init.lua file would have told you that...

I said they were different?

Nice mod btw Hume2. Any change you could get it on the ContentDB? https://content.minetest.net/

wziard

by wziard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 09:12

Stix wrote:XXX
WXW

You are right of course. I was in the train on my phone :-)

But as there is no conflict with the boat after all I don't understand why Hume2 didn't just copy the recipe for a steel bucket with wood. It's confusing that it's different. Imho the recipe should be:

WXW
XWX

for a wooden bucket. Just like the steel one.

Hume2

GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06

Sokomine wrote:Nice! I was looking for a wooden bucket. However..it does seem to be a copy of the bucket code from MTG, with a few changes done? I'm not very satisifed with cut&paste code. Those things tend to develop apart over time and are difficult to maintain. It would be much better if the bucket code from MTG could be changed so that it allows for diffrent types of buckets. Admittedly, there're not that many buckets you might want to have, so there was probably not enough need before. But...a steel bucket, a wooden bucket (=not suitable for lava), a clay bucket (great material for it), glass and bottles from the vessels mod...they could all be buckets. RealTest even adds a ton of buckets for all those diffrent metals it comes with. It would be great if the bucket mod could get extended and become more flexible. Perhaps opening an issue on Github and/or offering a PR might be a good solution if you have the time to do it.

That's a good idea. I'll look what I can do later. Until it's done, this mod can be used.

wziard wrote:But as there is no conflict with the boat after all I don't understand why Hume2 didn't just copy the recipe for a steel bucket with wood. It's confusing that it's different. Imho the recipe should be:

WXW
XWX

for a wooden bucket. Just like the steel one.

Yes, but this one collides with ethereal:bowl. Maybe ethereal:bowl could be crafted from a wooden bucket.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

wziard

by wziard » Fri Feb 15, 2019 22:16

Ah shucks. It's been ages since I used Ethereal, so I forgot.
ethereal:bowl from a bucket (and back) seems like a good idea.

ThatGhzGamer

GitHub: ThatGhzGamer

by ThatGhzGamer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 22:16

cool mod going to download :)
(I suck at mining iron in the beginning lol)
OMBZuGgmzofWqMBO9jPLEEHtGNg1pBOZ

Return to WIP Mods