[Mod] PaleoTest [1.01] [paleotest]

User avatar
ElCeejo
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 23:29
In-game: ElCeejo

[Mod] PaleoTest [1.01] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 00:13

Image

Adds a variety of Prehistoric Plants and Animals to Minetest. Deep under ground you will now find fossils! which can be used to clone these prehistoric animals. Permafrost will now drop clay, or if you're lucky, bones from ice age mammals! There is a wide variety of animals you can clone, ranging from massive Brachiosaurs, to nimble Velociraptors. You can now build the Dinosaur zoo of your dreams in minetest.

If you're using Minetest 5.0, go to Advanced Settings>Mods>PaleoTest and make sure "Minetest 5.0" is enabled and "Minetest 4.17" is disabled, If you're on 4.18 or older then do the opposite. If you don't do this then permafrost won't work properly.

Image

Image

License: GNU General Public
Dependencies: mobs redo, default
Download
ContentDB

Special thanks to Cyber_Shinobi for beta testing.
Last edited by ElCeejo on Sun Apr 21, 2019 03:26, edited 12 times in total.
 

User avatar
L22
Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 03:56
In-game: L22

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [0.1] [paleotest]

by L22 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 02:22

Just took a quick look at it. Looks great!
 

User avatar
Andrey01
Member
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:18
Location: Russia, Moscow
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [0.1] [paleotest]

by Andrey01 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15

Wow, there has already been a second Dinosaurs mod! I will look at this!
DL9Eh7xVBw7DXwLAMX1lStE21bSD2XUQ
 

User avatar
runs
Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 08:32
GitHub: runsy
 

User avatar
ElCeejo
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 23:29
In-game: ElCeejo

PaleoTest 0.41

by ElCeejo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:54

PaleoTest 0.41 is here! Here are the changes.

- Added crafting recipe for Electrified Fence Wires
- Added Elasmosaurus
- Added Dunkleosteus
- Added sounds for all mobs.
 

ShadMOrdre
Member
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 08:07
Location: USA
GitHub: ShadMOrdre
In-game: shadmordre

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by ShadMOrdre » Tue Apr 09, 2019 06:28

ElCeejo,

This looks fantastic. Please look at the prehistoric_life mod. I'm not sure of the state of that mod, but it may provide you with resources for this mod, or at least, the two of you can work together to ensure mod compatibility for these great collections of dinosaurs.
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_WolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by Lone_Wolf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 17:49

ShadMOrdre wrote:ElCeejo,

This looks fantastic. Please look at the prehistoric_life mod. I'm not sure of the state of that mod, but it may provide you with resources for this mod, or at least, the two of you can work together to ensure mod compatibility for these great collections of dinosaurs.

I have a feeling they may be the same person
Nice mod btw!
 

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: PaleoTest 0.41

by voxelproof » Fri Apr 12, 2019 13:10

ElCeejo wrote:PaleoTest 0.41 is here! Here are the changes.

- Added crafting recipe for Electrified Fence Wires
- Added Elasmosaurus
- Added Dunkleosteus
- Added sounds for all mobs.


I've tested your mod, it looks good, raptors are agreeably fast but I say, wouldn't it be more engaging if also herbivores posed some mild danger to a player (you know, their tails were in fact a very powerful weapon, so strolling in the direct vicinity of them should be risky). Thanks for your work, it adds a lot of fun, however I enjoy it only thanks to enabled 'fly' mode ;)
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_WolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: PaleoTest 0.41

by Lone_Wolf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 15:46

voxelproof wrote:Thanks for your work, it adds a lot of fun, however I enjoy it only thanks to enabled 'fly' mode ;)

Maybe you need a hot air balloon or a helicopter :P
 

Astrobe
Member
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by Astrobe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 15:48

Sometimes herbivores (like elephants, IIRC) can be aggressive if you get too close. Setting the mob to "monster", "attack_animals=false" and a short vision range could do the trick. The only thing is that carnivores (other "monsters") won't attack them. It can be refined by using "specific_attack" in predator defs, but I never used it.
 

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by voxelproof » Fri Apr 12, 2019 17:46

Astrobe wrote:Sometimes herbivores (like elephants, IIRC) can be aggressive if you get too close. Setting the mob to "monster", "attack_animals=false" and a short vision range could do the trick. The only thing is that carnivores (other "monsters") won't attack them. It can be refined by using "specific_attack" in predator defs, but I never used it.


Yes, it would add that mythical 'depth' to the game if the food chain could be properly implemented in games with some simple ecosystems. Btw elephants sometimes run amok when they smell boiling rice. So no Chinese restaurants in Ngorongoro please :))
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>
 

angus-parvis
New member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 22:48

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by angus-parvis » Sat Apr 13, 2019 23:27

Placing a monster-type creature egg (for example Tyrannosaurus egg) crashes the server when "Only spawn peaceful mobs" option of Mobs Redo is enabled. (Minetest 5.0.1, mod from ContentDB, Linux)
Code: Select all
ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'paleotest' in callback luaentity_Step(): /home/angus/.minetest/mods/paleotest/tyrannosaurus.lua:176: attempt to index field 'base_size' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
ERROR[Main]:    /home/angus/.minetest/mods/paleotest/tyrannosaurus.lua:176: in function 'do_custom'
ERROR[Main]:    /home/angus/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3152: in function </home/angus/.minetest/mods/mobs/api.lua:3066>

Also, why permafrost drops clay?
Really nice mod by the way.
 

User avatar
Nathan.S
Member
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 17:47
Location: Bigsby Texas
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by Nathan.S » Mon Apr 15, 2019 03:33

Very cool. I did have an error with creating an egg from some DNA. I don't recall what DNA it was, but I got an unknown item. I looked in my debug.txt file, but didn't find anything mentioning it. I did find a lot of errors about undeclared globals.
Code: Select all
WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "attack_monsters" inside a function at ~/.minetest/mods/paleotest/dire_wolf.lua:111.
WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "attack_players" inside a function at ~/.minetest/mods/paleotest/dire_wolf.lua:112.
WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "owner_loyal" inside a function at ~/.minetest/mods/paleotest/dire_wolf.lua:113.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2145
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_WolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by Lone_Wolf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 04:02

Nathan.S wrote:Very cool. I did have an error with creating an egg from some DNA. I don't recall what DNA it was, but I got an unknown item. I looked in my debug.txt file, but didn't find anything mentioning it. I did find a lot of errors about undeclared globals.
Code: Select all
WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "attack_monsters" inside a function at ~/.minetest/mods/paleotest/dire_wolf.lua:111.
WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "attack_players" inside a function at ~/.minetest/mods/paleotest/dire_wolf.lua:112.
WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "owner_loyal" inside a function at ~/.minetest/mods/paleotest/dire_wolf.lua:113.

IIRC if you try to drop an unknown item it prints the name of it in chat. You could also enable the setting in the screenshot. When you hover over an inventory item it'll then stick the itemstring in the tooltip. Very useful
Image
 

Astrobe
Member
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by Astrobe » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:45

ElCeejo can certainly figure it out, but just in case, the "error messages" are actually warnings and the DNA or egg in question is of a "dire wolf", it seems.

Looking at the source on Github, it appears that the references to the fields of the dire wolf's definition in the do_custom function are missing a "self" (self.passive=false etc.). The indentation and the random blank lines need some fixing, but that's a minor issue.

PS: while I was at it, I looked into the other problem with the tyrannosaurus. The crash is not directly related to the creative mode, it's just a "nope" from MobsRedo (I guess). The real issue is that "visual_size" is probably what was need, not "base_size". Also the issue with do_custom is also present there.
 

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by voxelproof » Tue Apr 16, 2019 18:55

Astrobe wrote: "error messages" are actually warnings and the DNA or egg in question is of a "dire wolf", it seems.


But it's OK, at least in case of the dire wolf's egg. It's 'unknown item' in real, too ;)
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>
 

User avatar
ElCeejo
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 23:29
In-game: ElCeejo

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by ElCeejo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 04:52

Wow, That's a lot of replies.

ShadMOrdre wrote:ElCeejo,

This looks fantastic. Please look at the prehistoric_life mod. I'm not sure of the state of that mod, but it may provide you with resources for this mod, or at least, the two of you can work together to ensure mod compatibility for these great collections of dinosaurs.


Lone_wolf is right, I'm the creator of Prehistoric Life. I just lost access to that account.

voxelproof wrote: I've tested your mod, it looks good, raptors are agreeably fast but I say, wouldn't it be more engaging if also herbivores posed some mild danger to a player (you know, their tails were in fact a very powerful weapon, so strolling in the direct vicinity of them should be risky). Thanks for your work, it adds a lot of fun, however I enjoy it only thanks to enabled 'fly' mode ;)


Nerfs and Buffs are gonna be in this next update to the overall quality of the mod. Herbivores are supposed to attack upon being punched but because of something with a update to the mobs api they don't, I'll find a fix soon.

voxelproof wrote:
Astrobe wrote:Sometimes herbivores (like elephants, IIRC) can be aggressive if you get too close. Setting the mob to "monster", "attack_animals=false" and a short vision range could do the trick. The only thing is that carnivores (other "monsters") won't attack them. It can be refined by using "specific_attack" in predator defs, but I never used it.


Yes, it would add that mythical 'depth' to the game if the food chain could be properly implemented in games with some simple ecosystems. Btw elephants sometimes run amok when they smell boiling rice. So no Chinese restaurants in Ngorongoro please :))


Just look at my last reply. In the 'Quality Update' I mentioned, I'll be doing some things to make them behave more like real animals, or at least as much has the current mobs api allows.

As for the rest of the replies regarding bugs, I'll have those fixed as soon has I can.
 

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by voxelproof » Sat Apr 20, 2019 09:23

ElCeejo wrote:Just look at my last reply. In the 'Quality Update' I mentioned, I'll be doing some things to make them behave more like real animals, or at least as much has the current mobs api allows.

As for the rest of the replies regarding bugs, I'll have those fixed as soon has I can.


I'm interested in psychology of gaming (e.g. what makes games addictive, engaging or just reverse) and simple games emerging from MT engine are of special interest to me. If your game is based on NPCs that are intended to provide the core of the gameplay, you should always consider how they'll affect the player's behaviour. If they don't interact with player in a significant way, it should be changed so that the gamer would feel their presence and adjust his/her actions to their behaviour.

The simplest way in which large, heavy and slowly moving animals may endanger a player's character is by making them capable of trampling him. Or, in the case of say brontosaurus and similar tailed creatures, when they turn around they should perhaps be able to 'hit' a player with their tails (not necessarily literally; it'd be enough to calculate the distance and damage inflicted). It's funny, but as far as I know such simple and apparently obvious mechanics hasn't yet been implemented in any of multiple MC mods.
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>
 

Astrobe
Member
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46

Re: [Mod] PaleoTest [1.0] [paleotest]

by Astrobe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:52

voxelproof wrote:
ElCeejo wrote: Or, in the case of say brontosaurus and similar tailed creatures, when they turn around they should perhaps be able to 'hit' a player with their tails (not necessarily literally; it'd be enough to calculate the distance and damage inflicted). It's funny, but as far as I know such simple and apparently obvious mechanics hasn't yet been implemented in any of multiple MC mods.


What looks simple from the outside might be complicated on the inside. Sometimes it's like math problems - a simple statement can be long and difficult to proof like Fermat's last theorem - and sometimes it is what is called "accidental complexity", complexity that happens for reasons not related to the problem itself (e.g. a missing feature makes something unreliable or too expensive).

In this case it is a bit of both: MT doesn't offer much in terms of collision detection handling and implementing a "tail hit" distinct from "trampling" would require spliting the mob into two parts (body and tail) if the collision handling were to be improved. Also the behavior you suggest wouldn't look good if the players attack the mob with ranged weapons, so the mob has to make slightly complex decisions based on what is happening.

Also, MT is still using rectangular collision boxes that don't rotate with the mob. Personally I gave up and decided to stick with square-base collision boxes that are never bigger than 1x1. My hostile mobs are either flyers or can jump very high in order to avoid weird behaviors with terrain collision as much as possible.
To be fair, part of these problems are caused by the choice of a cubic voxel world, which allows live editing and a lot of nice things, but it's very hard to get continuous movement in such a discontinuous world. MT offers a lot of interesting things to modders and they are constantly pushing it to its limits.
 

User avatar
ElCeejo
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 23:29
In-game: ElCeejo

Patch Notes and Stuff

by ElCeejo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 02:24

voxelproof wrote:I'm interested in psychology of gaming (e.g. what makes games addictive, engaging or just reverse) and simple games emerging from MT engine are of special interest to me. If your game is based on NPCs that are intended to provide the core of the gameplay, you should always consider how they'll affect the player's behaviour. If they don't interact with player in a significant way, it should be changed so that the gamer would feel their presence and adjust his/her actions to their behaviour.

The simplest way in which large, heavy and slowly moving animals may endanger a player's character is by making them capable of trampling him. Or, in the case of say brontosaurus and similar tailed creatures, when they turn around they should perhaps be able to 'hit' a player with their tails (not necessarily literally; it'd be enough to calculate the distance and damage inflicted). It's funny, but as far as I know such simple and apparently obvious mechanics hasn't yet been implemented in any of multiple MC mods.


Like Astrobe said, this is much easier said than done. It's possible to do trample damage but that would require changes to the Mobs API itself. There's so may things I want to do that just can't be done with the limitations of the game. Right now I am working on something interesting that hasn't been seen in any other mod so watch out for that ;)

Anyway, 1.01 is here. Nothing huge, just fixed those bugs related to cloning Aquatic Reptiles.
 

User avatar
voxelproof
Member
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 08:13
Location: Europe

Re: Patch Notes and Stuff

by voxelproof » Sun Apr 21, 2019 03:02

ElCeejo wrote:
Like Astrobe said, this is much easier said than done. It's possible to do trample damage but that would require changes to the Mobs API itself. There's so may things I want to do that just can't be done with the limitations of the game. Right now I am working on something interesting that hasn't been seen in any other mod so watch out for that ;)


I suppose Astrobe made these remarks from sorta "3D" point of view :) What I meant was more like game mechanics similar to simple roguelike one: all you need to do then is to calculate whether the mob is going to the position occupied already by the player's character. So no 'collisions procedures' needed, just enough to know what the coordinates of a monster and player are. The same would work with damage made from a distance; in simple voxel games a player doesn't expect exact physics, it's all much more about convention :)
>>>there is life beyond the Cube>>>
 


Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests