Versioning codenames?

TillCoyote

Versioning codenames?

by TillCoyote » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:55

Minetest 5 will be released soon. So I propose to add codenames in addition to the version like in Ubuntu: Minetest 5.1 Something. Also I think we need to hide patch release number if it's 0: 5.0.0 -> 5.0, 5.1.0 -> 5.1.

Linuxdirk

In-game: Linuxdirk

jas

GitHub: jastevenson303
IRC: jas_
In-game: jas

Re: Versioning codenames?

by jas » Fri Mar 01, 2019 13:04

Doesn't Ubuntu use the year and month as its version number? I always get confused with codenames, like, am I on Buster or Stretch? I can never remember, but I guess they were added for a good reason.
2019-10-14 09:12:51: ACTION[Server]: jas activates

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 13:14

jas wrote:... but I guess they were added for a good reason.

Codenames are mainly added for marketing reasons. There is no added value behind Android 9 having the codename "Pie" or Ubuntu 18.10 being codenamed "Cosmic Cuttlefish".

So, yes, we could call Minetest 5.0.0 "Radiant Raccoon" or "Elegant Eel" - but what would be the added value for modders or developers?

TillCoyote

by TillCoyote » Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:24

Linuxdirk wrote:

Codenames are mainly added for marketing reasons. There is no added value behind Android 9 having the codename "Pie" or Ubuntu 18.10 being codenamed "Cosmic Cuttlefish".

So, yes, we could call Minetest 5.0.0 "Radiant Raccoon" or "Elegant Eel" - but what would be the added value for modders or developers?

It'll look cool. And for example we can give meaningful names, for example, naming a main feature like: Minetest 5 Clientsider Coyote. So hipster, yes!

Also what do you think about patch release number?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:45

TillCoyote wrote:Also what do you think about patch release number?

I am not a good source of judging the version number of minetest because I think it is utter nonsense to jump from 0.4.17 to 5.0.0 even if 0.4.7 was afterwards declared as 0.major.minor it is actually major.minor.bugfix (plus an optional fourth digit to enumerate hotfixes) so jumping from 0.4.17 to 5.0.0 is skipping to the 5th major version number from not even using the first major version number in the previous release. So 5.0.0 to me is a bogus version number.

I am against version numbers in general and prefer a rolling-release model for releasing software. Version number = release date. Or the current Git hash = version number. An installer of any kind should always get the latest available released code.

TillCoyote

by TillCoyote » Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:52

Linuxdirk wrote:
TillCoyote wrote:Also what do you think about patch release number?

I am not a good source of judging the version number of minetest because I think it is utter nonsense to jump from 0.4.17 to 5.0.0 even if 0.4.7 was afterwards declared as 0.major.minor it is actually major.minor.bugfix (plus an optional fourth digit to enumerate hotfixes) so jumping from 0.4.17 to 5.0.0 is skipping to the 5th major version number from not even using the first major version number in the previous release. So 5.0.0 to me is a bogus version number.

I am against version numbers in general and prefer a rolling-release model for releasing software. Version number = release date. Or the current Git hash = version number. An installer of any kind should always get the latest available released code.

Rolling release is not stable. Servers need stable software with the stable api.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:57

TillCoyote wrote:Rolling release is not stable. Servers need stable software with the stable api.

Rolling release does not mean releasing unstable software. It means releasing software without release numbers or scheduled releases. Stability depends on testing. Pushing 1724 SLOC of engine changes without thoroughly blackbox- and whitebox-testing the code would be a disaster regardless of rolling-release or release-based model. The difference is when the changed code will hit user machines.

TillCoyote

by TillCoyote » Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:14

Linuxdirk wrote:
TillCoyote wrote:Rolling release is not stable. Servers need stable software with the stable api.

Rolling release does not mean releasing unstable software. It means releasing software without release numbers or scheduled releases. Stability depends on testing. Pushing 1724 SLOC of engine changes without thoroughly blackbox- and whitebox-testing the code would be a disaster regardless of rolling-release or release-based model. The difference is when the changed code will hit user machines.

What if I want LTS support for hypothetic Minetest v2014.06?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 15:17

TillCoyote wrote:What if I want LTS support for hypothetic Minetest v2014.06?

Then don't update until you feel like you want to update. Rolling-release is an option not an obligation.

TillCoyote

by TillCoyote » Fri Mar 01, 2019 16:22

Linuxdirk wrote:
TillCoyote wrote:What if I want LTS support for hypothetic Minetest v2014.06?

Then don't update until you feel like you want to update. Rolling-release is an option not an obligation.

After some time old code needs maintaining, for example bugfixes are needed, but I don't want to update. I've no C++ skillz, what to do?

bhree

GitHub: bhree
IRC: bhree
In-game: bhree

by bhree » Fri Mar 01, 2019 17:28

TillCoyote wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:

It'll look cool. And for example we can give meaningful names, for example, naming a main feature like: Minetest 5 Clientsider Coyote. So hipster, yes!

Or we can take from name of a node still in alphabetical order like Awesome Air, Buffling Brick, Crunchy Cobblestones etc. MT world rich on its own.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 22:01

TillCoyote wrote:for example bugfixes are needed, but I don't want to update. I've no C++ skillz, what to do?

What’s the difference from versioned releases? You either wait for the code to be fixed and then update or you wait for the next version that ships the fixed code and then update.

… but this getting waaaay too off-topic here :)

Return to General Discussion