[mod] "lurkcoin" [lurkcoin]

luk3yx
GitHub: luk3yx
IRC: luk3yx
In-game: luk3yx

[mod] "lurkcoin" [lurkcoin]

by luk3yx » Post

lurkcoin

A cross-server money transaction system for Minetest.

What is it?

A way to send currency between entirely separate servers with automatic exchange rate calculation to prevent abuse.

But <theoretical exploit>

I'll make an FAQ for theoretical exploits if enough people complain.

What about creative money?

Exchange rates partially solve this, and I keep logs of transactions (as stated in the ToS) that I can and will check if fraud/creative money is suspected.

Download

You can download the mod itself (to be put on Minetest servers) on https://git.minetest.land/luk3yx/lurkcoin. You will have to PM me on the forums or IRC to request a server account and API token.

I reserve the right to reject any server requests, for any or no reason, including but not limited to trust issues with either the owner and/or server staff.

The "master server" is available on Mesehub, GitHub, and GitLab.

I don't like this idea and don't want it near my server

Then I suggest not adding lurkcoin to your server, I am not forcing anyone to add this anywhere.

I don't want you anywhere near my server either

Uhh... sure, okay.

Before commenting

Try to keep discussion on-topic and do not post any harmful comments. Constructive criticism is welcome, however "I hate you delete your forum account now" is not.
Last edited by luk3yx on Sat May 23, 2020 09:48, edited 4 times in total.
git_undo() { [ -e .git ] || return 1; local r=$(git remote get-url origin); cd ..; rm -rf "$OLDPWD"; git clone "$r" "$OLDPWD"; cd "$OLDPWD"; }

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

Re: [mod] "lurkcoin" [lurkcoin]

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

I have a few questions:
  • What is your longterm plan with this? are you going to monetize this somehow? (steal real money from kids and the likes)
  • Can you open-source the server-part? (i could give it a security-review if you want...)
  • How are you managing cross-server inflation?
Aside from that: interesting mod

luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:I have a few questions:
  • What is your longterm plan with this? are you going to monetize this somehow? (steal real money from kids and the likes)
  • Can you open-source the server-part? (i could give it a security-review if you want...)
  • How are you managing cross-server inflation?
Aside from that: interesting mod
  • Long-term? I'm unsure, however I won't charge for lurkcoin itself.
  • Open-sourcing the "server part" would probably lead to a few lurkcoin clones, and some of them will probably not give any credit.
  • Exchange rates are different depending on how much you're transferring and how much has been transferred to/from a server.
git_undo() { [ -e .git ] || return 1; local r=$(git remote get-url origin); cd ..; rm -rf "$OLDPWD"; git clone "$r" "$OLDPWD"; cd "$OLDPWD"; }

gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

IMHO this mod is completely unusable unless the server is released as free software. I'm not going to let this anywhere near my server unless I can test it thoroughly and ensure the server does not do nasty stuff.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

luk3yx wrote:By using the lurkcoin mod on your server with a valid token you are bound to the lurkcoin ToS.
Hahahahaha ... No.

Website isn't reachable anyways.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Post

I don’t understand the negativity. Let the guy try his thing.
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

gpcf wrote:IMHO this mod is completely unusable unless the server is released as free software. I'm not going to let this anywhere near my server unless I can test it thoroughly and ensure the server does not do nasty stuff.
You have a good point, I am probably going to rewrite the entire master server sometime (the current code is messy and not very scalable), if I ever do that I'll probably open-source it under the AGPL.
Linuxdirk wrote:
luk3yx wrote:By using the lurkcoin mod on your server with a valid token you are bound to the lurkcoin ToS.
Hahahahaha ... No.

Website isn't reachable anyways.
I should probably clarify that, to obtain a valid token you currently have to register on the website (where you have to check a box stating you agree to the ToS). Edit: Fixed.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

luk3yx wrote:… you currently have to register on the website
Okay, please provide qualified information about how you handle and store personal data and what type of data and how do you get consent from the people whose data you store and how you document and ensure deletion of personal data when requested in compliance with the GDPR.

luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
luk3yx wrote:… you currently have to register on the website
Okay, please provide qualified information about how you handle and store personal data and what type of data and how do you get consent from the people whose data you store and how you document and ensure deletion of personal data when requested in compliance with the GDPR.
I simply don't ask for much personal data, however I went over it in my ToS:

Currently account deletion involves PMing me on IRC, however I probably need to stop taking backups of the lurkcoin database so I can guarantee that account information isn't floating around, but I could purge users from the backup if requested (although the only data stored that I could easily recover is the username, balance, and transaction history).

BillyS
GitHub: Billy-S
IRC: BillyS
In-game: BillyS

by BillyS » Post

The project seems perfectly fine to me; I use it on my server and nothing bad has happened. As luk3yx mentioned in the description, if you don't like it don't use it.
<SHAMELESS PLUG> Play on my server Blocky Survival! It's unique! </SHAMELESS PLUG>

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

luk3yx wrote:I simply don't ask for much personal data, however I went over it in my ToS:
Logging into a website is not consenting to storing and processing private data.

Like it or not, but when offering services that store and process user data and that services are usable by users in the European Union you need to comply to the GDPR.

https://gdpr.eu/

For Cookies:
  • Receive users’ consent before you use any cookies except strictly necessary cookies.
  • Provide accurate and specific information about the data each cookie tracks and its purpose in plain language before consent is received.
  • Document and store consent received from users.
  • Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies
  • Make it as easy for users to withdraw their consent as it was for them to give their consent in the first place.

luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

Receive users’ consent before you use any cookies except strictly necessary cookies.
These are strictly necessary cookies, without them there'd be no way to tell if you are logged in or not.
Provide accurate and specific information about the data each cookie tracks and its purpose in plain language before consent is received.
You have to first sign up (and read and agree to the ToS) to be able to log in. The cookies "track" your username, authentication token, and nothing else (as stated in my previous message) so that the website knows that you are who you say you are.
Document and store consent received from users.
By creating an account.
Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies
The only cookies I am storing are required, if you refuse to allow them the website doesn't know that you're logged in.
Make it as easy for users to withdraw their consent as it was for them to give their consent in the first place.
They can simply click the button labelled "log out" which should remove the cookies.

And quoting from gdpr.eu:
Strictly necessary cookies — These cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site. Cookies that allow web shops to hold your items in your cart while you are shopping online are an example of strictly necessary cookies. These cookies will generally be first-party session cookies. While it is not required to obtain consent for these cookies, what they do and why they are necessary should be explained to the user.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

luk3yx wrote:[...]
Don't explain to me. Just read the whole GDPR information site and properly implement the statutory provisions given by the GDPR.

You also can't assume consent to data processing by users just logging in to your service.

https://gdpr.eu/gdpr-consent-requirements/

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Post

Yes, read the whole site. xD xD xD
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

BillyS

by BillyS » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
luk3yx wrote:[...]
Don't explain to me. Just read the whole GDPR information site and properly implement the statutory provisions given by the GDPR.

You also can't assume consent to data processing by users just logging in to your service.

https://gdpr.eu/gdpr-consent-requirements/
In accordance with the minetest fourm rules: "If you wish to criticize someone for their actions, it should be constructive. Please remember this is a game forum. You should be polite when possible and leave political and other unrelated opinions elsewhere if they might prove disruptive." (See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17151)

Discussion of the GDPR is irrelevant to the mod itself (although not the server behind it). Furthermore, your criticism is not constructive (especially your last remark regarding reading the whole GDPR website). Finally, at this point, you seem to be a troll with the sole goal of killing this mod. You (as far as I can tell) have never used this mod, it's compliance or otherwise with the GDPR does not affect you in any way, and you have already adequately warned luk3yx about the GDPR. Thus, please leave off and make room for other reviews or people with something constructive to say.

Thank you,
BillyS
<SHAMELESS PLUG> Play on my server Blocky Survival! It's unique! </SHAMELESS PLUG>

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Avoiding to deal with the GDPR is super simple here: When both the mod and the server part are released as free open-source software then individual server owners has to deal with this except the author. But by offering a web service to users completely different laws are applicable.
+ Spoiler

BillyS

by BillyS » Post

+ Spoiler

luk3yx

by luk3yx » Post

The master server is now open-source and available on Mesehub, GitHub, and GitLab.