Realistic water

Extex

GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

Realistic water

by Extex » Thu Aug 15, 2019 19:30

Is there some way to make a liquid like flowing but doesn't vanish so you can like make dams and drain lakes and stuff
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool mod. Working on another mod which is pretty cool so far

neoh4x0r

GitHub: neoh4x0r

Re: Realistic water

by neoh4x0r » Thu Aug 15, 2019 20:03

Extex wrote:Is there some way to make a liquid like flowing but doesn't vanish so you can like make dams and drain lakes and stuff

There was one outdated mod (that was not very good, in my opinion): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water

However, FaceDeer created two mods that are close to what you want to do -- granted they are not perfect (at least atm).

[Mod] Dynamic liquids [dynamic_liquid]
** water behaves realistically (it will spread out to fill an area)
viewtopic.php?t=16485

[Mod] Waterworks (pipes, pumps and valves) 0.1
** allows pumping water sources from one location to another (by swapping water nodes with air or vice versa)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22830
Last edited by neoh4x0r on Fri Aug 16, 2019 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 01:47

neoh4x0r wrote:There was one outdated mod (that was not very good): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water
Wait! I did not know that one! It looks superior to the default behavior or even to dynamic_liquid where a block is basically all or nothing!

What are the flaws of that mod?

Extex

GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Fri Aug 16, 2019 02:08

neoh4x0r wrote:There was one outdated mod (that was not very good): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water

That pretty much exactly what I wanted but have it connect like flowing

And move toward the deepest area to collect into
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool mod. Working on another mod which is pretty cool so far

neoh4x0r

GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Fri Aug 16, 2019 03:32

Yvanhoe wrote:Wait! I did not know that one! It looks superior to the default behavior or even to dynamic_liquid where a block is basically all or nothing!
What are the flaws of that mod?

Extex wrote:That pretty much exactly what I wanted but have it connect like flowing And move toward the deepest area to collect into

This how a similar mod worked in minecraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EaKUlR2kU4&hd=1

And this is how the minetest variant worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMPIOO2vGc&hd=1

The minecraft version looked very seamless, but the minetest version was very choppy (the nodes jump up, or so it seems).

Also the mod has not be updated since 2016 (and has been abandoned by rubenwardy) -- and the mod remains unfinished.

(The dynamic_liquid and waterworks mod, by FaceDeer, are still in active development)

That being said, if finite water (waterplus) works for you then you might want to try to fork the github project so it can be improved and finished/polished.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the last time I tried finite water it just messed up my world and that was a singleplayer creative world, I can only imagine what would happen if it were used on a server (as rubenwardy points out is not recommend).

Return to Modding Discussion