Server : Legend of Mana

Dendras
GitHub: Codedwizard
In-game: a_comandable_unit

Server : Legend of Mana

by Dendras » Post

I want to host an RPG server but I don't have access to my router. I am under 15 but I will try to be a good admin. I know all the ups and downs of being admin. I must say I don't have money to rent a server, but if someone wants to do this for free I'll be interested

I want to make this server like Dungeons and Dragons. I am a DM (Dungeon Master) so I will be able to do this.

Server goals :
I want to implement a class system. Includes [Sorcerers, Rogues, Wizards, Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians, ...]
I want to add a vast amount of spells
I want to add unique mobs, npc's, and quests
I HAVE DRAGONS!!!

Down sides (currently) :
My map isn't very advanced and I won't take credit for it
I have never hosted before. I have never been admin of anything like this
I am under 15
I am not so good at lua, so I won't be making more mods very quickly
Half of my mods are custom and I haven't made them yet

If you have more questions just ask
3oDGrnKYJ2zbgj5aAkApC6UGUMp8wzka

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: Server : Legend of Mana

by Hume2 » Post

I have a little advice for you:

When I was as young as you, I had many great ideas. Sooner or later, I dropped them all because they were too unrealistic. I lost my motivation before I got into something serious. I'm not saying that your idea is bad or unrealistic. Just keep in mind that it might not be as good as you think now.

If you want to start a server, the important mods should be ready to use. You can, of course, add more mods on go. However, adding a mod which changes 50% of gameplay is problematic. So I think, you should make your mods first so they will work at least in singleplayer and then ask for hosting. It is pointless to ask for hosting if you don't have anything yet.

Everyone has many ideas and only a few of them are good. So if you want to convince someone that your idea is good, you should do more. One of the best ways of doing so is showing your current results. You can show some screenshots of the mods you already made or a showcase of how the gameplay looks so far. If you do this, someone might consider your idea seriously. It is far better than promising how good it is going to be.

If your mods are mostly unfinished or you didn't even start yet, you might ask for collaboration. However, you shouldn't just delegate your job to someone else. You should also work at something valuable. If you are weak at lua, you should at least do graphics, 3D models, etc.. You should also credit your collaborator(s). It's not a problem, just keep it in mind ;)
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

if you have no problem with it, i can host your server for you

i am a privat person, a german, and have a "country"-internet ( not perfect internet ) but yes ... i hope it's enough

if you want to see what i am doing, visit all my "German-***-server"s ;)

Dendras

by Dendras » Post

Hume2 wrote:I have a little advice for you:

When I was as young as you, I had many great ideas. Sooner or later, I dropped them all because they were too unrealistic. I lost my motivation before I got into something serious. I'm not saying that your idea is bad or unrealistic. Just keep in mind that it might not be as good as you think now.

If you want to start a server, the important mods should be ready to use. You can, of course, add more mods on go. However, adding a mod which changes 50% of gameplay is problematic. So I think, you should make your mods first so they will work at least in singleplayer and then ask for hosting. It is pointless to ask for hosting if you don't have anything yet.

Everyone has many ideas and only a few of them are good. So if you want to convince someone that your idea is good, you should do more. One of the best ways of doing so is showing your current results. You can show some screenshots of the mods you already made or a showcase of how the gameplay looks so far. If you do this, someone might consider your idea seriously. It is far better than promising how good it is going to be.

If your mods are mostly unfinished or you didn't even start yet, you might ask for collaboration. However, you shouldn't just delegate your job to someone else. You should also work at something valuable. If you are weak at lua, you should at least do graphics, 3D models, etc.. You should also credit your collaborator(s). It's not a problem, just keep it in mind ;)
Ok. Yeah, I can't do any of that. I'm a good builder though. In the past month I've been working on this and now it looks like a bad idea lol.

Dendras

by Dendras » Post

Walker wrote:if you have no problem with it, i can host your server for you

i am a privat person, a german, and have a "country"-internet ( not perfect internet ) but yes ... i hope it's enough

if you want to see what i am doing, visit all my "German-***-server"s ;)
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'll have a look but after looking at the things hume2 said it looks like a recipe for disaster.