Licenses are a whole LIE

runs
GitHub: runsy

Licenses are a whole LIE

by runs » Post

Real case!

Actor A: For my next mod I'm looking for some textures in Google that I like, OpenSource. Good, I find them! I'm looking for info about the author to give him credit. He claims that the textures are his.

Actor B: In a reputable forum this actor makes a list of FAKE textures, and they say that Actor A is a fake, and Actor B says that the good and original author is Actor C. Actor C has his textures in Devianart.

Actor C: He claims they are his textures. What's more, I look at the comments, and when someone asks him to release the textures for free, he says no, that they are created by him for his game. Then in another comment, he says that they are all textures except maybe the roof, which vaguely remembers having edited it, but doesn't say whose.
Too bad, I don't think I can use them.
This author has other works for his game, in another showcase he says that the textures are from "The Inquisitor". I look for thim and is in RPG Palace as a reputed member.

Actor D: I look at the works of the Inquisitor and I see that there are the textures that Actor C claims as original from his game! And they are Opensource! He has simply recolored some ones and other are intact.

Actor C has lied! But even RPG Palace is lying.

Actor E: RPG Palace says (and collects) that the textures are Open Source, only a atributtion is required. But The Inquisitor in another obscure thread says that they are Free, but for commercial use they are not, that you have to pay him, and mark a price list. LOL.

In short: 5 actors and none of them are telling the truth. Or they all say it. Who do I listen to?

5 different licenses for the same textures. LOL. What if I say they're mine now and put it another license?

In short, I'm going to create my own textures. LOL.
Last edited by runs on Fri May 22, 2020 16:08, edited 4 times in total.
Day 42 of the quarantine

runs
GitHub: runsy

Re: Licenses are a whole LIE

by runs » Post

Day 42 of the quarantine

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

You can only solve this problem by finding out who has the legal ownership of the textures. Goods and services may be produced and sold to someone - this is a ownership change. The original artist gives all the rights for his work to a company (for example).
So if the assets are used in a game and the artist sold all rights then the game owners may license work however they want. The artist no longer has control about it.

Telling lie and truth apart is very hard, thus only real-world solutions would help you further. Law people who try to find the rightful owner.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

i would suggest check the dates of the licences to see which was one was released first . it would strongly suggest that the first one has the correct licence attached to it .
awaiting minetest hardcore mode .

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

runs wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 15:36
In short, I'm going to create my own textures. LOL.
This is always the best option IMHO. (make certain you license them correctly, and make note of your original publishing and , if any, source files i.e. .xcf / .svg / .xar / .blend etc..)

Or ask/find someone to make them for you. (make certain they license the work correctly, and save all interactions/conversations related to the project)
Ich mag keine grünen Eier und Schinken, ich mag sie nicht Sam I Am

AiTechEye
GitHub: AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

Just another reason that i always creates all resources by my own whatever it is.
so its safe to use stuff made by me :)

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

AiTechEye wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 20:00
Just another reason that i always creates all resources by my own whatever it is.
so its safe to use stuff made by me :)
This. You can rely on other contributions, but make sure to double-check their licenses and the validity of their licenses.

The title is too catchy though, licenses are definitely not a lie. People are lying, not licenses.

Besides, many free licenses allow relicensing. If you choose CC0 or WTFPL, others can basically do "TF" they want with your stuff, I'd assume that was the case here, so probably your actors are even legal? They stole credits and changed the license, but that's fine if the license allows it.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website