I started working on a soundtrack for Minetest!

Opensource_gaming
IRC: franzo
In-game: Opensource_gaming

I started working on a soundtrack for Minetest!

by Opensource_gaming » Post

Hello everyone! I am new here and I hope that I didn't post this in the wrong section.
I started to play Minetest because I wanted to stream the game on my Twitch channel featuring opensource games, and I fell in love with it.

I decided to create a soundtrack for Minetest because this game is so great and I missed the music from Minecraft.
For now I have done 3 tracks and they're not complete because they still need a proper mixing and mastering.

I don't know if you are interested in adding some music to the game and I hope that this tracks will be added to it. I hope to work on more tracks soon to expand the soundtrack.. if there will be any... I deliberately took inspiration from Minecraft Soundtrack and I think that this can fit very well in the mood of the game.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

Re: I started working on a soundtrack for Minetest!

by Zughy » Post

Hey there, that's a great idea, I just want to point out one thing (which is quite confusing, it got me too at the very beginning): Minetest is the engine, the game currently shipped with it is Minetest Game

Opensource_gaming

You're right, my bad. I was meaning Minetest games. I think that now that's clear!

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Yes, any music added can only be added to a game, not to the Minetest engine.

Have a look at some games and perhaps offer the music to one which seems suitable.
'Minetest Game' is not really suitable for music as it is a rather basic, neutral and universal 'sandbox' game, without a clear purpose or character, and it needs to be kept lightweight (music files are huge). So i recommend not submitting music to Minetest Game, there are more interesting and impressive games to get involved with.

People overestimate the importance and significance of Minetest Game because it is currently shipped with the engine (and it really should not be, this is a very important change we need to make).
Last edited by paramat on Tue Jun 23, 2020 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

The music files are very nice; I especially like 'exploring'
thanks for sharing them :)
paramat wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 00:36
People overestimate the importance and significance of Minetest Game because it is currently shipped with the engine (and it really should not be, this is a very important change we need to make).
Minetest Game can be a valuable resource for anyone who is trying to learn how to make mods;
It may not be everyone's ideal of a 'game' but that doesn't diminish it's value.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Finally, some properly-themed songs.

Dawn: Yep, definitely sounds inspired by C418. Pretty nice :)

Diamond Shining: Sounds nice, but feels a bit too cinematic for background music. At least, it definitely does not fit the style of Minetest Game. Might fit an RPG or something. (Also, why not "Shining Diamond" instead? ;)

Exploring: Too fast-paced. Also all over the place. Wouldn't really fit as background music for most games, in my opinion. Sounded alright.

I look forward to more of your creations .. perhaps try branching away from C418's style a bit, too :)
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Opensource_gaming

paramat wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 00:36
Yes, any music added can only be added to a game, not to the Minetest engine.

Have a look at some games and perhaps offer the music to one which seems suitable.
'Minetest Game' is not really suitable for music as it is a rather basic, neutral and universal 'sandbox' game, without a clear purpose or character, and it needs to be kept lightweight (music files are huge). So i recommend not submitting music to Minetest Game, there are more interesting and impressive games to get involved with.
Yes, I was thinking to submit this tracks to Mineclone2 game because of the inspiration from C418. That was my first thought when I was composing my soundtrack.

Finally, some properly-themed songs.

Dawn: Yep, definitely sounds inspired by C418. Pretty nice :)

Diamond Shining: Sounds nice, but feels a bit too cinematic for background music. At least, it definitely does not fit the style of Minetest Game. Might fit an RPG or something. (Also, why not "Shining Diamond" instead? ;)

Exploring: Too fast-paced. Also all over the place. Wouldn't really fit as background music for most games, in my opinion. Sounded alright.

I look forward to more of your creations .. perhaps try branching away from C418's style a bit, too :)
Thank you for your appreciation! I really was inspired by C418 even on the "Exploring" track.. specifically I was inspired by music that is played in creative mode for this one.
I was thinking about releasing the tracks with CC 4.0 licence. I think that these tracks could fit well as background music in Mineclone2.
What to you think would be a good way to contact the developers?

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Welcome to the forum. Your username seems to be the lesser version of my username ;)

The music is composed nicely. I enjoyed the style and you seem to have talent. I've been looking for a soundtrack to use in the game I (and some others) have been developing. I haven't nailed a style, but I am still searching. I will be tracking your project to see if it might be a good fit. Feel free to check it out. It is hosted in my signature and is called "Saras_Simple_Survival". It has been coming along steadily. I hope you stay encouraged and inspired. I would agree that there is a sad lack of ambiance and music in the Minetest community. The files are large and take a while to transfer but it does create nice atmosphere when exploring and mining.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

The Ambience mod also includes music tracks. Perhaps these could find a home there or in a new mod of its own.

I would recommend offering Ogg Vorbis encoded files, instead of mp3s. Ogg is the format used by MT engine, is open source, and would make these tracks more quickly available to modders or game devs that wish to include them.

Thanks for the content addition to an area of MT that is all too often overlooked. Sound, immersive sounds, background music. We need more of this from any resident musicians within the community.

Thanks again, Opensource_gaming.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I use the ambience mod for sound effects. I preferred using https://github.com/ClockGen/music_modpack for music, but I haven't resolved the conflict these mods have yet.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Opensource_gaming

I've been looking for a soundtrack to use in the game I (and some others) have been developing. I haven't nailed a style, but I am still searching. I will be tracking your project to see if it might be a good fit. Feel free to check it out. It is hosted in my signature and is called "Saras_Simple_Survival".
Thank you for the appreciation! I was not able to find your game inside Minetest Client, should I download it externally to being able to play it?
ShadMOrdre wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 18:07
The Ambience mod also includes music tracks. Perhaps these could find a home there or in a new mod of its own.

I would recommend offering Ogg Vorbis encoded files, instead of mp3s. Ogg is the format used by MT engine, is open source, and would make these tracks more quickly available to modders or game devs that wish to include them.

Thanks for the content addition to an area of MT that is all too often overlooked. Sound, immersive sounds, background music. We need more of this from any resident musicians within the community.

Thanks again, Opensource_gaming.
Hey! That is a pleasure! I wanted to export them in ogg format but I first exported them as .mp3 because it was more convenient for me. It's really simple to open the project again and export the files as ogg files.
Anyway, the tracks are not finished yet. They still lack some little things.. after I've finished working on them, I will export them again in ogg format.

Can someone help me reaching Mineclone2 developers? I would at least be able to point them out that I've done a soundtrack inspired by Minecraft :)

The32bitguy
GitHub: The32bitguy
In-game: TaxCollector

by The32bitguy » Post

The work you have made so far is excellent, how did you compose them?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

For MCL2, reach out to Wuzzy, he is the developer.

FYI, games, inside of MT, are downloaded from either the ContentDB, or from the Games subforum. Only MTG and minimal are distributed with the MT engine. All other games must be downloaded and installed into the games folder of your MT installation. Games are handled very similarly to mods, in that regard.

Shad

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Its not in the contentdb yet or on the forums here. I consider it in alpha state (still early development) and I wont move to publish it until its closer to beta. The game is downloadable in our notabug repo (sara's simple survival_game) place in the minetest games folder. Alternatively, try our online hosted server called "Sara's Simple Survival Server".

Glad you decided on using OGG that will help. No conversions needed from MP3 --> OGG. The main MineClone developer is Wuzzy. He's active in the forums. You can probably PM him on this site to reach him.

Opensource_gaming

The work you have made so far is excellent, how did you compose them?
Thanks! I used some VSTs and some sounds from my Yamaha MX61 that has pretty good built-in sounds.
For MCL2, reach out to Wuzzy, he is the developer.

FYI, games, inside of MT, are downloaded from either the ContentDB, or from the Games subforum. Only MTG and minimal are distributed with the MT engine. All other games must be downloaded and installed into the games folder of your MT installation. Games are handled very similarly to mods, in that regard.

Shad
Thank you for the info. I will try to reach him out.
Its not in the contentdb yet or on the forums here. I consider it in alpha state (still early development) and I wont move to publish it until its closer to beta. The game is downloadable in our notabug repo (sara's simple survival_game) place in the minetest games folder. Alternatively, try our online hosted server called "Sara's Simple Survival Server".

Glad you decided on using OGG that will help. No conversions needed from MP3 --> OGG. The main MineClone developer is Wuzzy. He's active in the forums. You can probably PM him on this site to reach him.
Oh.. Now it's clear why I didn't found it. But I did not found it on the servers list either. I will try to download it manually. Feel free to contact me when the game will be in a beta stage. I would be happy to help you with music. :)

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

It might be a while. But for now, feel free to follow your own artistic inspirations and I will see if I can use some of them with the software. Thanks.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You should upload the music to a more accessible place.

Also, the downside of music is that it takes forever to load in Minetest. :-(

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24971

This would defeat the argument that music files are too large, locally

Also we still need streaming OGGs in-game

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I feel like thats a bit off topic. Sure you can store files locally, but its irrelevant. If you can download a game and run it locally, it doesn't matter where they are stored and the file size is less important anyways.

For multiplayer servers, the media files will still need to be downloaded.

Streaming OGG files would almost certainly cause a lot of latency and lag for players and the server's upload bandwidth.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 21:29

I think a solution could be to package each note in one file, and then use a script to play the melody. That would allow a greater diversity for the same "price". I think that's more-or-less what MIDI tracks do. One could probably come up with other combinations-based systems, like a few tracks played in a loop and then a script can swap in and out one track at a time. It's probably quite challenging for the composer, though. On the scripting side, one difficulty is that AFAIK there is no "track end" callback nor queuing.

Opensource_gaming

Wuzzy wrote:

Hey Wuzzy!
I was in a hurry so that's the reason why I uploaded the tracks on Gdrive and exported them as mp3. I have no problem exporting them as ogg files. Do you think that would solve the problem with loading times of music?

Opensource_gaming

Astrobe wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 16:31
Wuzzy wrote:

I think a solution could be to package each note in one file, and then use a script to play the melody. That would allow a greater diversity for the same "price". I think that's more-or-less what MIDI tracks do. One could probably come up with other combinations-based systems, like a few tracks played in a loop and then a script can swap in and out one track at a time. It's probably quite challenging for the composer, though. On the scripting side, one difficulty is that AFAIK there is no "track end" callback nor queuing.
Hello Astrobe! How are you?
That seems like a challenging things to do.. but if that necessary to add music to Minetest that's fine. Also, I would like to point out that's not important when the song will be played in the game. As in Minecraft, the music was played casually.. so unless the game slows down, that's totally fine to load the music slowly and play it randomly, for me.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

There was a MIDI mod made here a year or so ago. It might be easy to fold existing .VST files into that mod.

As for downloading music tracks from a server, the track should be mixed down to the lowest possible bit rate, ensuring file sizes stay small. Once downloaded, they exist in cache, which kinda makes that issue a bit mute.

There is also Sofars' Media Server option, storing the files on a public media server.

There are options.

Shad

Opensource_gaming

Hello! I've just mastered all three songs and you can find them here:
https://soundcloud.com/franzcorradomusic

They are released under CC license. Now I can't, but in the future I could create more songs like this one that I hope that can be utilized on Minetest.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I checked your soundcloud, they are released under Noncommercial licenses, which means they are not freedom culture licenses. Unfortunately, that means they cannot be used in a lot of our projects because of this. I personally don't include NC content in the game because it limits freedoms downstream from me and also limits what I can do with the project in the future. I suspect MineClone has the same philosophy on this, but I will not speak for Wuzzy and that project. Also, commercial derivatives like MultiCraft likely won't consider using it either.

We recently had a big discussion related to this about non-free NC content being allowed in the ContentDB before it was locked by rubenwardy. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24785 Its somewhat related and we had some debate about the issues involved with it.

Either way, I respect your decision, hope you'll reconsider sharing your excellent music, and wish you good luck with your project.

For game designers and developers, a good alternative that is CC BY SA 4.0 is a lot of the content made by Kevin McLeod at https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/music.html