[Server] 3xile - closed

u18398

[Server] 3xile - closed

by u18398 » Post

3xile
you never asked to be moved here.

A burren land in a totaly different world

Forget everything you know of minetest game. This is exile by Dokimi.
viewtopic.php?p=368703#p368703

You are believed to be an outlaw and criminal. Justice bans you from your
known world and sets you out on a far away jail planet. Here you are with
nothing in your hand than your "Sentence of Exile". Paste it somewhere, read it
and survive!

Find water, build a shelter and get food. Discover new animals and slowly advance
your crafting abilities. Always take a look at your health status, breaks are more important
than you might think.

[Open now]

Adress: gundul.ddnss.de
Port: 39155

Rules: behave like you would at home, remember what your parents once taught you !

No protection, pvp allowed.

This is a wip testserver, this is not meant to build nice things. Expect things to change,
even the map and of course mods.

Be part of helping developing this from a very good singleplayer game to an even better
multiplayer game :)
Last edited by u18398 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 17:48, edited 4 times in total.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Server] 3xile - featuring Dokimi's exile game --NEW--

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Neat
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

u18398

Re: [Server] 3xile - featuring Dokimi's exile game --NEW-- now online

by u18398 » Post

One hour too early, but 3xile is open now :)

Emerald
IRC: Emerald2
In-game: Emerald2

by Emerald » Post

Looks like some of the multiplayer bugs are still an issue. BuckarooBanzai said that the HUD was causing crashes, but we can't play without the indications that we need to eat, rest or adjust temperature. Will see if my friend still has the fixes that were made when we were testing out Exile with a few players. Or you can run the issues past people on Discord and they'll know how to fix them, which is what said friend did in the first place.

I'm so excited to play again! Alas it's also currently in game winter so freezing to death is a hazard. It's not meant to be easy though. :D

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Emerald wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 20:24
Looks like some of the multiplayer bugs are still an issue. BuckarooBanzai said that the HUD was causing crashes, but we can't play without the indications that we need to eat, rest or adjust temperature. Will see if my friend still has the fixes that were made when we were testing out Exile with a few players. Or you can run the issues past people on Discord and they'll know how to fix them, which is what said friend did in the first place.

I'm so excited to play again! Alas it's also currently in game winter so freezing to death is a hazard. It's not meant to be easy though. :D
There still are some bugs, and there will be some more I guess. Dokimi said he never had the opportuntiy to test this
in multiplayer. The health tab had to be disabled, because it causes only one player to be able to play.
Issues on github I already opened.

I think better than a healthtab would be, to have the health values always shown in hud because you need them all
the time to survive and plan your next actions.

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

Normally there is a button in the health tab that enables the HUD with the icons for temperature, exhaustion, hunger etc. My friend had help and was able to fix that crash so that we could all use the HUD and health tabs properly. They're pretty vital for survival in the game, after all. He's busy with university but hopefully he can tell me soon what was done to fix it.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 15:10
Is this the code he used? https://github.com/DokimiCU/Exile/pull/2/files
No this is the dirty quick fix. :) See my comment on github in the converstions.
And this is what makes the health tab go away.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Still no answer from Dokimi on github or here.
I will add health information to player hud as soon as my time allows. Maybe today, but
latest tomorrow.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

The implemented hud is now enabled for everyone.
From left to right you can see:

thirst, hunger, energy, body_temp, air_temp

green is good, yellow means time to change something, red is really bad and darker colors mean you are about to die

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

Having the HUD indicators is definitely an improvement. Of all the details info we got from the 'health' tab, the thing we need the most is the actual temperature numbers. Otherwise you don't know if it's too hot or too cold. You can guess from the weather but when you're sleeping near fire, it's hard to know if you need to get closer or further away for proper rest.

Had 2 other players on with me today so have noticed that the crash on player leave bug is there. Had that fixed on my friends world, but he's so busy with university atm I still haven't managed to talk to him. If you get stuck with anything, just post the crash messages in this thread and I'm sure somebody knows the answer, since they helped fix it previously.

I'm almost ready to set myself up somewhere in the world now that I've managed to get some granite boulders and make the first set of tools. The iron smelting process is a tricky one though, so that will take some work. Firing pottery can be, too.

Thank you for setting up this server. :)

u18398

by u18398 » Post

crash on leave bug unfortunately leaves no traces in debug.txt

so all you can do is checking all the included mods for "register_on_leaveplayer" callback and find
a missing nil check. At least this is the most likely thing causing the crash.
"grep -r ..." is your friend :)

Code: Select all

bed_rest/functions.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
climate/init.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
crafting/api.lua:       minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
health/hud.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
illumination/init.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player, _)
inferno/init.lua:       minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
minimal/item_names.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
player_api/api.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
player_monoids/init.lua:        minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)
sfinv/api.lua:minetest.register_on_leaveplayer(function(player)

u18398

by u18398 » Post

That was easy, as it was #1 in the list: bed_rest.

Crash_on_leaveplayer is fixed.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Extended player hud:

now showing outside temperature in degrees

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Most (multiplayer) bugs are found and eliminated. Server is running stable now already for a couple of days.

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

Come join us! With the HUD fixed it's very playable now. It's pretty brutal until you figure out the survival basics, but that's life in exile.

Some basic survival tips, spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself.
Spoiler
Tangkal fruits (the orange ones in the tall trees) satisfy a bit of thirst as well as hunger. You will primarily eat these until you can make water pots and farm food.

You should make a primitive bed ASAP for faster resting.

When you rest, you need to be under shelter. Caves work for this until you have built a shelter. Also make sure your temperature indicator is in the green as you will rest a lot faster. You may need to light a fire for warmth.

Extreme temperatures exhaust you rapidly. If you are too exhausted you won't be able to move. Be very careful during winter and the hottest part of summer days.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

I will have to check this out some time

I'm curious what strategies people use, what people can and can't figure out ;-)

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

My base is a fair walk from origin since we don't have protection and I don't want people just helping themselves to my stuff. I'm currently working on a reliable furnace design to make pottery, then to smelt iron. I know how to make charcoal reliably so that should help.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 03:16
I will have to check this out some time

I'm curious what strategies people use, what people can and can't figure out ;-)
I think kind of welcome screen for new players wouldn't be too bad. Not every minetest player is reading this forum and a short discription of what happened and how things are going would be helpful :)

Or maybe a general help screen (or tab in sfinv) explaining the basics.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Emerald wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 03:53
My base is a fair walk from origin since we don't have protection and I don't want people just helping themselves to my stuff. I'm currently working on a reliable furnace design to make pottery, then to smelt iron. I know how to make charcoal reliably so that should help.
Did I hear something of a first iron ingot today ? :D

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

Gundul wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 17:02
Did I hear something of a first iron ingot today ? :D
You sure did! The furnace design I tried works pretty well if I use enough of the right fuel. It worked better than my previous attempts playing when Exile, so things are going pretty well at Camp Emerald.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

Gundul wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 17:01
I think kind of welcome screen for new players wouldn't be too bad. Not every minetest player is reading this forum and a short discription of what happened and how things are going would be helpful :)

Or maybe a general help screen (or tab in sfinv) explaining the basics.
A help menu is on the To Do list!

I can see the need now. I checked out the server, only spawn area. Oh dear! The "Noob Zone of Death"! Lol :-)

People will have to tell me where their bases are so I can check them out...

~~~

A thought:

A multiplayer mod for Exile might be good (or a modpack) e.g. all the server tools, protection, server specific crafts (e.g. for shops). It would all be off by default, but there so people can use it to host servers easily.
I'm unlikely to make this myself, but if you find you are adding these things anyway, perhaps turn it into a modpack and I can add it to Exile.
Just an idea.

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

Not sure what's going on but the server just crashed 4 times in a row. I was walking about 200 nodes from spawn, so it won't be a volcano. When I log back in and start walking, it crashes again.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Emerald wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:51
Not sure what's going on but the server just crashed 4 times in a row. I was walking about 200 nodes from spawn, so it won't be a volcano. When I log back in and start walking, it crashes again.
It had to do with torches and a missing nil check. Should be fixed now.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 05:45

I can see the need now. I checked out the server, only spawn area. Oh dear! The "Noob Zone of Death"! Lol :-)

People will have to tell me where their bases are so I can check them out...

~~~
Yes many of the poor guys thought this would be a usual minetest server X)

If you like I can give you like fly, noclip, fast etc. You probably already know your game :)

Dokimi wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 05:45
A thought:

A multiplayer mod for Exile might be good (or a modpack) e.g. all the server tools, protection, server specific crafts (e.g. for shops). It would all be off by default, but there so people can use it to host servers easily.
I'm unlikely to make this myself, but if you find you are adding these things anyway, perhaps turn it into a modpack and I can add it to Exile.
Just an idea.
I do not think of a mod. The game is good as it is, just needs some fixes to work in multiplayer. Protection shops and whatever just disturbs the brutality of a world full of outlaws X)
And everybody can easily add any mod he likes to the game by just choosing it :)
This is no game for building or something. This a true survival. Maybe some kind of a factions mod would be interesting. But without protection you need to be well organized to protect your base.
Nevertheless I have no plans to add something to your game. :) You said you had no opportunity to test in multiplayer, here it is :) I only manage the server and help fixing the one or another bug.