Noah's Railyard

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Noah's Railyard

by Blockhead » Post

What?

Noah's Railyard is a minetest world with at least one of every type of wagon available for advtrains, from all known sources to the author. There is a large railyard with many tracks in it. They are loosely classified with different themes on each track. A short line is included to take the trains for a test drive, which will be larger in future and include some stations, as if the railyard were like a railway museum with train excursions. The yard is also built with a loop around to help you shunt the trains around.

Mods used
+ Spoiler
Why?
Noah's Railyard is meant to be complementary to the train catalogue available on the advtrains wiki. It lets you test out pre-made trains and shows you what kind of wagon arrangements you would want to use to make trains appropriate to a specific train mod

Why is the bike mod included? The bike painter is currently used as a tool to paint the JRE E231 series wagons as well as the some_more_trains tram. It will hopefully be deprecated in favour of a train painter in future.

Why don't you have any of the coloured subway wagon mods? As far as I know they are all out of date with advtrains_train_subway anyway, and one day they will all be deprecated by livery features as well. Basically, they are a bad idea.

Who?
Blockhead started this project, but feel free to point out any new trains that get added or that I have missed.

Where?
Download here (.tar.gz format): https://files.catbox.moe/ccjmcg.gz
Last edited by Blockhead on Sat Jul 10, 2021 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My mod: Foodblocks

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

Re: Noah's Railyard

by gpcf » Post

Noah's Railyard is a minetest world with at least one of every type of wagon available for advtrains, from all known sources to the author.
Shouldn't there be two of each wagon, given the name of this map?

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

gpcf wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 21:23
Shouldn't there be two of each wagon, given the name of this map?
Making a second one of each is left as an exercise to the player. Thankfully it isn't necessary to preserve more than one of a wagon for us to be able to make any more, since they aren't made by breeding but manufactured.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My mod: Foodblocks

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5

by c56 » Post

cool now someone should really build a train museum near the tracks
this is a signature not a place to post messages

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Should I turn this into a git repo, so people can collaborate in the improvement of this fine map, or is it too much bother for what it's worth?
Also, having a worldmods directory would make it a lot easier to try the wagons.
I do not mean any offence, ill-intent, or insult with this message. Unless it is obvious I do. | ¡Yo es Estudiante de Español!

Blockhead

by Blockhead » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 07:03
Should I turn this into a git repo, so people can collaborate in the improvement of this fine map, or is it too much bother for what it's worth?
Also, having a worldmods directory would make it a lot easier to try the wagons.
I will make a modpack for it like my forks modpack so it can be easily installed. Not sure about worldmods, most people will have at least some of these mods already if they're interested in advtrains -or is that logic backwards and people want to start with all the trains? Anyway I think I can make a GitHub release if someone wants them all and can't/won't use git to fetch the modpack contents.

TODO: One mod that is missing that was pointed out to me tonight: technic_train.

56independent_actual

Blockhead wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:53
Mon Jul 12, 2021 07:03
I will make a modpack for it like my forks modpack so it can be easily installed. Not sure about worldmods, most people will have at least some of these mods already if they're interested in advtrains -or is that logic backwards and people want to start with all the trains? Anyway I think I can make a GitHub release if someone wants them all and can't/won't use git to fetch the modpack contents.

TODO: One mod that is missing that was pointed out to me tonight: technic_train.
I still believe in the sensibility of a worldmods directory. Having users seperately download a modpack is just bad UX IMHO. Having the mods packaged with the world itself is a brilliant UX, where you start the world and it just works.
I do not mean any offence, ill-intent, or insult with this message. Unless it is obvious I do. | ¡Yo es Estudiante de Español!

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Looks interesting. IMO these maps deserve a place on the advtrains wiki.
Blockhead wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:53
Not sure about worldmods, most people will have at least some of these mods already if they're interested in advtrains -or is that logic backwards and people want to start with all the trains?
I suppose people would download the mods first (to try out the mods themselves, etc.).
Mon Jul 12, 2021 14:58
I still believe in the sensibility of a worldmods directory. Having users seperately download a modpack is just bad UX IMHO. Having the mods packaged with the world itself is a brilliant UX, where you start the world and it just works.
The problem is whether storing such a map in a git repo is a good idea, particularly considering that merge conflicts are hard to resolve for binary files. IMO there should be a method of serializing such maps to make them easier to work with (and to potentially avoid other problems like accidentally keeping files out of sync).

As for modpacks, the problem is with maintenance. If Blockhead creates more maps for various purposes that involves advtrains, does it make sense to update mods in every world directory? While you can have a script to update these repos, players who play with these maps are likely going to be annoyed of updating every map they download because of a new commit to advtrains.

Furthermore, to what extent does the argument of "having users separately download a modpack is just bad UX" make sense? Should you provide MT source/binaries or even a JeOS just to allow users to boot up a computer and play on that particular MT world?

56independent_actual

I have created a script to get all mods. Execute it inside the world's directory, and do not enable any external mods:
+ Spoiler
Save it as "mods.bash", and execute the command "chmod +x ./mods.bash; ./mods.bash", or just do "sh ./mods.bash".

Yes, it's a lazy hack and is likely to be very slow, but the good thing is that it works.

I feel that this is the best alternative to what i discussed; players can upload their changed world to the repo, but the mods can be installed seperately using git on the local machine.

Maverick2797
In-game: Maverick2797

by Maverick2797 » Post

Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:41
I have created a script to get all mods. Execute it inside the world's directory, and do not enable any external mods:
+ Spoiler
Save it as "mods.bash", and execute the command "chmod +x ./mods.bash; ./mods.bash", or just do "sh ./mods.bash".

Yes, it's a lazy hack and is likely to be very slow, but the good thing is that it works.

I feel that this is the best alternative to what i discussed; players can upload their changed world to the repo, but the mods can be installed seperately using git on the local machine.
  • You're cloning repos multiple times... no wonder it's slow. I count 7 cases of advtrains.git for starters.
  • You should use https not http for cloning. I don't even know if git allows http?
  • Suppose someone already has one (or more) of these mods installed, there's no reason to waste bandwidth downloading them again when they can just cross-reference a list of mods and enable the ones they want, as the Minetest UI does to pre-populate the world.mt file.
  • Suppose two people make valid changes to the world... how do you decide which one to advance? You can't easily (to the best of my knowledge) merge the worldmaps or advtrains databases without corrupting something in the process.
The number you have called is not available during a solar eclipse. This message will self destruct in ten seconds in protest... [BEEP]

yw05
GitHub: y5nw
IRC: y5nw
In-game: ywang

by yw05 » Post

Maverick2797 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:19
I don't even know if git allows http?
It does.
Also: git clone --depth 1
Suppose two people make valid changes to the world... how do you decide which one to advance? You can't easily (to the best of my knowledge) merge the worldmaps or advtrains databases without corrupting something in the process.
Wait until someone writes an Emacs mode to edit advtrains serialization files :P

56independent_actual

Maverick2797 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:19
  • You're cloning repos multiple times... no wonder it's slow. I count 7 cases of advtrains.git for starters.
  • You should use https not http for cloning. I don't even know if git allows http?
  • Suppose someone already has one (or more) of these mods installed, there's no reason to waste bandwidth downloading them again when they can just cross-reference a list of mods and enable the ones they want, as the Minetest UI does to pre-populate the world.mt file.
  • Suppose two people make valid changes to the world... how do you decide which one to advance? You can't easily (to the best of my knowledge) merge the worldmaps or advtrains databases without corrupting something in the process.
As i said, "lazy hack". It just does what it needs to do with no bells and whistles.
  • Git skips over already-cloned repos, but i should fix that.
  • HTTP works fine. The S just means secure.
  • Bandwith wasting is no worry when all we are doing is downloading a few megabytes of code. Modern networks can handle it.
  • Eh, that was always just an extra.