[Mod] Immersive Sounds [.36] [ambience]

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

[Mod] Immersive Sounds [.36] [ambience]

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 21:20

Image
This mod adds ambient sounds that you would naturally hear in the setting you are in. (Bats in caves, crickets at night, etc.) It also adds some amazing music. The motivation is to immerse you in Minetest so that it feels more like reality and less like a game.

Initially inspired by kddekadenz's music mod code and uses mauvebic's bird sounds from 4seasons mod.
Team(so far): Neuromancer, PilzAdam, Jordach, RealBadAngel, mauvebic
Download:
Current Version:
Immersive Sounds Mod .36 Full version with music.

Alternate Forks:
Neuromancer's SuperFastLoad (works for Servers too):
Super Fast Load Immersive Sounds Mod

Jp's UltraFastLoad (50% faster than Super Fast load! By far the fastest )
Ultra Fast Load

10Plus1's Xanadu Server Version:
Ultra Fast Load
Dead Forks:
mauvebic's version of super small fast loading version for servers:
Current:
Ambience-serverlite
merged all the _frequent groups with their counterparts (should i math.random the volume for same effect?). Added more nature sounds to even out the count between the different groups. Also updated the length values for all the clips to reflect their post-remix length (should fix that weird looping thing). minimalness : 1.32mb, 380 lines

no music, underwater (scuba), and the bats woke my neighbours so thats gone too, the rest was remixed (stereo to mono, trim, pitch adjustments, etc.) changed the cricket noise and added loons for daytime. All in all, it weights in at 1.1mb.

RealBadAngel's technic version. (with music made by Skaven/Future Crew): (Different style of music gives it a totally different feel)
http://realbadangel.pl/technic_ambience.zip


Commands:
/svol 1 (sets volume of ambient sounds to their defaults. Use a number of 0 to 1) .5 = 50% decrease from default value
/mvol 1 (sets volume of music to their defaults. Use a number of 0 to 3.3) 3.3 = 330% increase over default value

You will need to wait for the sound/song to stop playing to hear the difference in the next sound/song. If you force a change in sound by moving elsewhere you will hear difference immediately. See ambience configuration below for more fine grained control of volume and frequency of sounds.


History:
Immersive Sounds Mod .01 Birds & Crickets
Immersive Sounds Mod .02 Added wolves, and owls. Increased cricket frequency
Immersive Sounds Mod .03 Added dripping water and bats when underground (Thanks to PilzAdam for underground algorithm and tables.
Immersive Sounds Mod .05 Used PilzAdam's algorithm: adds working multiplayer, stops playing sounds when no longer appropriate, cleaner code, and fixed naming issue in "dripping_drops" so they now play.
Immersive Sounds Mod .06 Greatly increased variety and frequency of daytime birds. Made owls more common at night.
Immersive Sounds Mod .07 Adds awesome music, awesome underwater effects (gasp!) Trimmed birdsongs. Huge leap forward but had real problems with frequency of sounds, use .08 instead.
Immersive Sounds Mod .08 Allow users to post and share custom configurations. Fixed bat frequency, Really improved birds (made constant singing quiet), Added near drips back in.
Immersive Sounds Mod .10 Added 4 new songs, wind, and distant crows, bluejays, etc. Increased frequency of songs.
Immersive Sounds Mod .11 Added splash sound when entering water
Immersive Sounds Mod .13 Added flowing water and new song
Immersive Sounds Mod .14 Added Lava & increased range of flowing water detection.
Immersive Sounds Mod .16 Fixed bug in .15. No longer displays node info in chat.
Immersive Sounds Mod .18 Added sloshing water when at surface of water. Also reduced detection of flowing water, must be closer, and must be more of it for waterfall sound. (fixed bug in 17, added back in music)
Immersive Sounds Mod .19 Added splashes when surfacing and when submerging.
Immersive Sounds Mod .20 Sped up game load time by 20%.
Immersive Sounds Mod .21 Added eerie desert ambience
Immersive Sounds Mod .22 Added 1 small surprise sound
Immersive Sounds Mod .23 Sped up. Much smaller file. 12.4 meg to 9meg
Immersive Sounds Mod .24 Better detection of seas 4 waves
Immersive Sounds Mod .25 Swimming + water improvements
Immersive Sounds Mod .26 Less silence when swimming. Compressed swim files
Immersive Sounds Mod .27 Removed occasional beach sound while treading water
Immersive Sounds Mod .28 Waves trump sloshing water, walking in water Splash not swim sound
Immersive Sounds Mod .29 Flying sound
Immersive Sounds Mod .30 Adjust sound and music volumes in game. Relative to each other and to the sounds in the game.
Immersive Sounds Mod .31 Quicker Load times, Standard Music. Fix bug in .29 & .30- now only plays flying start effect when lots of air under feet.
Immersive Sounds Mod .32 Slower load times. 2 amazing songs by Amethystium.
Immersive Sounds Mod .33 Quick load times. Shortened 2 amazing songs by Amethystium.
Immersive Sounds Mod .34 Added 2 more incredible songs by Amethystium. Reduced bird frequency.
Immersive Sounds Mod .36 Got rid of stupid flying sound. Normalized music volumes

If you would like to help out on this mod, just let us know. The code is located below.
Neuromancer's GitHub:
https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience
PilzAdam's GitHub:
https://github.com/PilzAdam/MinetestAmbience

Todo:
-add random_volume parameter to night normal, day normal, & cave normal sounds to create feeling of distance.
-add the ability to adjust frequency of sounds while playing (and save to config file)
Wish List:
-sound when swinging tool, sword or pickaxe
-sound when switching tool in hand
-sound when falling
-dolphins when under the ocean
-Howling wind when on a hill/mountain
-wind in the leaves when near trees
-add Cicada's, insects, or redwing blackbirds during the day
-frogs and ducks when near ponds
-one loud cricket at night

License: WTFPL (except for sounds as noted in the SoundLicenses.txt file.)
Music:
Amethystium:
--Avalon
--Ethereal
--Faraway
--Strangely Beautiful
If you enjoy this music, check out:
www.amethystium.com and www.am.mu

Mod dependencies: default

We welcome all of you to play around with try new configurations. See what kind of ambiances/moods you can create and share them with everyone else! It's easy:

Just post a message with the top of your init.lua as follows, and everyone can just copy paste this onto theirs. Please pay careful attention to the version number at the top as the parameters will change over time.

Code: Select all
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--Ambiance Configuration for version .08

local max_frequency_all = 1000 --the larger you make this number the lest frequent ALL sounds will happen recommended values between 100-2000.

--for frequencies below use a number between 0 and max_frequency_all
--for volumes below, use a number between 0.0 and 1, the larger the number the louder the sounds
local night_frequency = 20  --owls, wolves
local night_volume = 0.9 
local night_frequent_frequency = 150  --crickets
local night_frequent_volume = 0.9
local day_frequency = 100  --crow, bluejay, cardinal
local day_volume = 0.9
local day_frequent_frequency = 1000  --birds singing
local day_frequent_volume = 0.18
local cave_frequency = 10  --bats
local cave_volume = 1.0 
local cave_frequent_frequency = 70  --drops of water dripping
local cave_frequent_volume = 1.0
local water_frequent_frequency = 1000  --underwater sounds
local water_frequent_volume = 1.0
local music_frequency = 1  --music (suggestion: keep this one low like around 1)
local music_volume = 0.3
--End of Config
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 02:48, edited 9 times in total.
 

Temperest
Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 23:13
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Sat Aug 18, 2012 05:02

Wow! I never realized how much more immersive the game could be with just a few more sounds.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:03

I made a new sound play algorithm and put it on GitHub: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience/pull/1
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:40

PilzAdam wrote:I made a new sound play algorithm and put it on GitHub: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience/pull/1

Thanks much for the new code. I like how much cleaner your code is, and the fact that it takes into account multiplayer. And I like the underground check for cavesounds. I really want to add it to the mainline, but before I can, we need to resolve an issue. On my computer, I barely ever hear the sounds. For example, I'd like to hear the crickets chirping for most of the night, and the wolves and owls around 4 times a night each. With your code I hear the birds chirp once during the day and the crickets once at night, and nothing else. Something is not quite right. Is it because my pc is slower than yours, or is there something that can be tweaked in your algorithm? There should be 2 types of sounds, one that plays pretty much non-stop (crickets), and one that plays randomly (owls & wolves). I'd like to use your code, but the frequency needs to be increased somehow. I did check in a bunch of cave sounds for you to play with. I wonder how often people hear sounds using my code. I'm concerned that it has the same problem. Can anyone tell me how often they hear the wolves howl and the owls hoot during one full night?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 18, 2012 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 14:09

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:I made a new sound play algorithm and put it on GitHub: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience/pull/1

Thanks much for the new code. I like how much cleaner your code is, and the fact that it takes into account multiplayer. And I like the underground check for cavesounds. I really want to add it to the mainline, but before I can, we need to resolve an issue. On my computer, I barely ever hear the sounds. For example, I'd like to hear the crickets chirping for most of the night, and the wolves and owls around 4 times a night each. With your code I hear the birds chirp once during the day and the crickets once at night, and nothing else. Something is not quite right. Is it because my pc is slower than yours, or is there something that can be tweaked in your algorithm? There should be 2 types of sounds, one that plays pretty much non-stop (crickets), and one that plays randomly (owls & wolves). I'd like to use your code, but the frequency needs to be increased somehow. I did check in a bunch of cave sounds for you to play with. I wonder how often people hear sounds using my code. I'm concerned that it has the same problem. Can anyone tell me how often they hear the wolves howl and the owls hoot during one full night?

Ive updated to your wishes: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience/pull/1
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:28

PilzAdam wrote:Ive updated to your wishes: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience/pull/1

Wow, the new code is impressive. I really like the multiple frequencies, and the sound stopping. The sounds are played at a good frequency. However I'm getting a bug. I'm playing multiplayer (not sure if that matters) but when I go underground, the sound changes from crickets chirping to water dripping, and then I get an error after a minute or so that says error stopping sound, something was nil.

Code: Select all
10:21:10: INFO[main]: Server: Deinitializing scripting
10:21:10: INFO[main]: BanManager: saving to C:\Users\PC\Games\MineTest42rc1\bin\..\worlds\LAN5\ipban.txt
10:21:10: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:51: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)
10:21:10: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
10:21:11: INFO[main]: Searching worlds...
10:21:11: INFO[main]:   In C:\Users\PC\Games\MineTest42rc1\bin\..\worlds:
10:21:11: INFO[main]: LAN5 Releeshahn Releeshahnold Releeshahnold2 test Texture-Pack-Test-Track
10:21:11: INFO[main]: 6 found.
10:21:11: INFO[main]: Waiting for other menus
10:21:11: INFO[main]: Waited for other menus
10:21:11: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:51: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)

I added a few comments to my lua so my line 51 is here
Code: Select all
            minetest.after(list[number].length, function(args)
                local list = args[1]
                local player_name = args[2]
--51 below:
                minetest.sound_stop(list.handler[player_name])


Also, I'm not sure why you changed the following
{name="dippingwater_drip.1", length=2},
{name="dippingwater_drip.2", length=2},
{name="dippingwater_drip.3", length=2},
to
{name="dippingwater_drip", length=2},

These are 3 different sound files that give variety, but the file dippingwater_drip doesn't exist.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 15:49

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:Ive updated to your wishes: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience/pull/1

Wow, the new code is impressive. I really like the multiple frequencies, and the sound stopping. The sounds are played at a good frequency. However I'm getting a bug. I'm playing multiplayer (not sure if that matters) but when I go underground, the sound changes from crickets chirping to water dripping, and then I get an error after a minute or so that says error stopping sound, something was nil.

Code: Select all
10:21:10: INFO[main]: Server: Deinitializing scripting
10:21:10: INFO[main]: BanManager: saving to C:\Users\PC\Games\MineTest42rc1\bin\..\worlds\LAN5\ipban.txt
10:21:10: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:51: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)
10:21:10: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
10:21:11: INFO[main]: Searching worlds...
10:21:11: INFO[main]:   In C:\Users\PC\Games\MineTest42rc1\bin\..\worlds:
10:21:11: INFO[main]: LAN5 Releeshahn Releeshahnold Releeshahnold2 test Texture-Pack-Test-Track
10:21:11: INFO[main]: 6 found.
10:21:11: INFO[main]: Waiting for other menus
10:21:11: INFO[main]: Waited for other menus
10:21:11: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:51: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)

I added a few comments to my lua so my line 51 is here
Code: Select all
            minetest.after(list[number].length, function(args)
                local list = args[1]
                local player_name = args[2]
--51 below:
                minetest.sound_stop(list.handler[player_name])


Also, I'm not sure why you changed the following
{name="dippingwater_drip.1", length=2},
{name="dippingwater_drip.2", length=2},
{name="dippingwater_drip.3", length=2},
to
{name="dippingwater_drip", length=2},

These are 3 different sound files that give variety, but the file dippingwater_drip doesn't exist.

1.) See the latest version on my GitHub. I added a if to prevent nil as argument.
2.) See this: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt#L162
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 17:06

PilzAdam wrote:1.) See the latest version on my GitHub. I added a if to prevent nil as argument.
2.) See this: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt#L162


1) Something nil still causing crashes.
Code: Select all
11:58:28: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:44: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)
11:58:28: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:58:28: INFO[main]: Searching worlds...
11:58:28: INFO[main]:   In C:\Users\PC\Games\MineTest42rc1\bin\..\worlds:
11:58:28: INFO[main]: LAN5 Releeshahn Releeshahnold Releeshahnold2 test Texture-Pack-Test-Track
11:58:28: INFO[main]: 6 found.
11:58:28: INFO[main]: Waiting for other menus
11:58:28: INFO[main]: Waited for other menus
11:58:28: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:44: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)


2)Wow, thanks for clarifying that. I remember seeing celeron's advice a while ago. At some point going to have to rename all the sound files prefixed by mod name.

I noticed something in both our code, I never hear the drippingwater_drip.x play. I switched the name to drippingwater_dripa.ogg and now I heard it play in my code. Maybe give that a try. It would be better if these types of drips had an equal chance as the other drips to play anyway. More variety.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 18, 2012 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Aug 18, 2012 17:50

Neuromancer wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:1.) See the latest version on my GitHub. I added a if to prevent nil as argument.
2.) See this: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt#L162


1) Something nil still causing crashes.
Code: Select all
11:58:28: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:44: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)
11:58:28: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
11:58:28: INFO[main]: Searching worlds...
11:58:28: INFO[main]:   In C:\Users\PC\Games\MineTest42rc1\bin\..\worlds:
11:58:28: INFO[main]: LAN5 Releeshahn Releeshahnold Releeshahnold2 test Texture-Pack-Test-Track
11:58:28: INFO[main]: 6 found.
11:58:28: INFO[main]: Waiting for other menus
11:58:28: INFO[main]: Waited for other menus
11:58:28: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ...MineTest42rc1\bin\..\mods\minetest\ambience\init.lua:44: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)

Fixed: https://github.com/PilzAdam/MinetestAmbience/commit/e26bb50359375f68866ebc1c537460b1df89c15d
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:29



Sweet! I merged your init.lua code to the mainline.
I noticed something in both our code, I never hear the drippingwater_drip.x play because they were spelled dippingwater. I fixed the name to drippingwater_dripa.ogg and now I heard it play in your code. I also renamed them a,b, & c so they have an equal chance of playing as the other drips for more variety. Thanks for all your hard work on this. This mod now really rocks!
 

User avatar
Jordach
Member
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 17:58
Location: Blender Scene
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:39

Maybe you should add music that plays at random.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o96iy9b9ld9bqtf

Try that, it was made by me.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ



My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 19:15

PilzAdam wrote:Neuromancer: can you add the link to my GitHub to the first post? https://github.com/PilzAdam/MinetestAmbience

Added.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 19:19

Jordach wrote:Maybe you should add music that plays at random.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o96iy9b9ld9bqtf

Try that, it was made by me.

I don't have a problem with adding music, but there should be an option to disable it. The main idea of this mod is that it is ambient sounds that you would hear in the area you are at. (Bats in caves, crickets at night, etc.) I guess my motivation was to make Minetest feel more like reality and less like a game. Plus there are already several mods that play music. (most notably the one I stole code from.) So we can add it, but make it optional. The other thing is that if you start playing too many sounds at the same time, sometimes they play messed up.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Aug 18, 2012 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 20:19

Temperest wrote:Wow! I never realized how much more immersive the game could be with just a few more sounds.

Thanks for the compliment. With PilzAdam's help, this has developed into a pretty nice mod.
 

leo_rockway
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 20:37

by leo_rockway » Sat Aug 18, 2012 22:32

Neuromancer wrote:License: WTFPL (except for sounds as noted in the SoundLicenses.txt file.)



Checking the licenses I could see that the bats sound is non-commercial. I don't like that, since it makes it incompatible with Minetest's license.

I put together another bat sounds file so you can consider replacing the file you already have. The license of the new file is CC BY SA 3.0 Unported and I put it together using other files I found online.

Sound file
Licenses of the files I used
Last edited by leo_rockway on Sat Aug 18, 2012 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 23:08

leo_rockway wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:License: WTFPL (except for sounds as noted in the SoundLicenses.txt file.)



Checking the licenses I could see that the bats sound is non-commercial. I don't like that, since it makes it incompatible with Minetest's license.

I put together another bat sounds file so you can consider replacing the file you already have. The license of the new file is CC BY SA 3.0 Unported and I put it together using other files I found online.

Sound file
Licenses of the files I used

Thanks for making the new bat sound. The thing I like about the bat sound already in there is that its chaotic and pretty disturbing and puts you on edge. The heavy flapping sound in yours makes it not as frightening, and the bat vocalizations don't quite have the high pitched nails on chalkboard effect. I'm no lawyer, but since Pilz and I aren't making this Mod commercial, I think it might only be a problem if celeron decided to add it to the game itself, which is not likely to happen. If anyone comes up with a bat sound equally disturbing, I would replace it, but for now I think I'll leave it in. I think what I like about the existing bat sound is it sounds like the bats have been worked into a frenzy and crawling all over the walls and maybe the player.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Aug 19, 2012 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 01:11

Is it just me, or is the wolf howling a lot more frequent than the owl hooting?
 

Blackthorne
Member
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 07:38

by Blackthorne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 05:18

I love this. Anything to make minetest more immersive and engrossing.
 

jin_xi
Member
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 18:19

by jin_xi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07

love this mod. here is one suggestion:

would it be possible to add sounds based on what is around you? what i mean is something like add a chance you hear a frog
making it quak noise or jumping into water when you're around a waterlily or hear a fly buzzing when you're around a cow. idk if this belongs in this mod or if other mods (flowers and animals for the example) should supply and 'register' those sounds.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Developer
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14

jin_xi wrote:love this mod. here is one suggestion:

would it be possible to add sounds based on what is around you? what i mean is something like add a chance you hear a frog
making it quak noise or jumping into water when you're around a waterlily or hear a fly buzzing when you're around a cow. idk if this belongs in this mod or if other mods (flowers and animals for the example) should supply and 'register' those sounds.

I will work on this.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:36

Hmmm, just realized that when you go underwater, your y position will be less than 0 and so it will think you are in a cave. Hearing bats underwater not a good thing. I checked in some cool underwater sounds and dolphins. There is a drowning mod http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1402 that can tell you when the player is underwater. Pilz, you want to take a crack at this one?

Also it would be nice to have the ability to make the infrequent sounds have a table that holds their percent of happening. For example cave infrequent (bat) could have a 5 % chance of happening, day infrequent (birds) could have a 10% chance of happening or something like that that can be tweaked for each environment/biome.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Aug 19, 2012 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Echo
Member
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 08:11
Location: Germany

by Echo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 13:34

underwater would be probably something like
Code: Select all
local pos = player:getpos()
pos.y = pos.y + 1 -- head under water not just the feet
local is_water = minetest.env:get_node_or_nil(pos)
if is_water ~= nil and (is_water.name == "default:water_source" or is_water.name == "default:water_flowing") then [...]

code not tested, just an idea.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 13:49

Echo wrote:underwater would be probably something like
Code: Select all
local pos = player:getpos()
pos.y = pos.y + 1 -- head under water not just the feet
local is_water = minetest.env:get_node_or_nil(pos)
if is_water ~= nil and (is_water.name == "default:water_source" or is_water.name == "default:water_flowing") then [...]

code not tested, just an idea.


I saw this in the drowning mod:
Code: Select all
    for k, v in pairs(minetest.object_refs) do
        if v:get_player_name() ~= nil then
            name = v:get_player_name()
            if players_under_water[name] == nil then
                players_under_water[name] = {count=0, drowning=false}

And then there's a bunch of other code that may or may not be relevant. The tricky part is making it work with PilzAdam's multiplayer logic.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Aug 19, 2012 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
 

Next

Return to Mod Releases



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests