Mods Confusion!

User avatar
Viron
Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:22
Location: United States

Mods Confusion!

by Viron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:19

I need help, because when I install mods, they show up in singleplayer when you go to inventory and that menu pops up where you can get items, but not in multiplayer... I don't really know what to do...
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:38

In multiplayer all mods are on the server. No mod that you installed locally is used.
If you use creative mode there is a list with all items in your inventory. But also the creative mode is set by the server so the server admin need to enable it.
 

User avatar
Viron
Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:22
Location: United States

by Viron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:52

PilzAdam wrote:In multiplayer all mods are on the server. No mod that you installed locally is used.
If you use creative mode there is a list with all items in your inventory. But also the creative mode is set by the server so the server admin need to enable it.


So no mods I install in the mods folder will be used? And how do you set creative?
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:57

Viron wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:In multiplayer all mods are on the server. No mod that you installed locally is used.
If you use creative mode there is a list with all items in your inventory. But also the creative mode is set by the server so the server admin need to enable it.


So no mods I install in the mods folder will be used? And how do you set creative?

In the main menu -> Singleplayer there is a checkbox "Creative Mode".
 

User avatar
Viron
Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:22
Location: United States

by Viron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:59

PilzAdam wrote:
Viron wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:In multiplayer all mods are on the server. No mod that you installed locally is used.
If you use creative mode there is a list with all items in your inventory. But also the creative mode is set by the server so the server admin need to enable it.


So no mods I install in the mods folder will be used? And how do you set creative?

In the main menu -> Singleplayer there is a checkbox "Creative Mode".


I'm not sure you understand what I mean. I have my own server, and I want the mods to be on there too, but the mods dont show up in the menu in my inventory.
 

User avatar
Menche
Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 00:43
Location: An island in a lava lake.
IRC: Menche
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Sat Dec 15, 2012 17:58

All mods are server-side; you have to install the mods in your server's mod folder. Singleplayer is really hacky multiplayer; when you play singleplayer, your client starts a local server and the mods you see are the ones installed locally. When you play on another server, the mods you see are the ones installed on that server.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
 

User avatar
Viron
Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:22
Location: United States

by Viron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 19:43

Menche wrote:All mods are server-side; you have to install the mods in your server's mod folder. Singleplayer is really hacky multiplayer; when you play singleplayer, your client starts a local server and the mods you see are the ones installed locally. When you play on another server, the mods you see are the ones installed on that server.


Where is the server's mod folder?
 

tinoesroho
Member
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 21:55
Location: Canada

by tinoesroho » Sun Dec 16, 2012 05:03

In the minetest root directory (which should list folders like bin...), go to /mods/minetest/ and drop folders there (not ZIPs). :-)
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/
 

User avatar
Menche
Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 00:43
Location: An island in a lava lake.
IRC: Menche
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Sun Dec 16, 2012 06:49

Assuming the server runs Linux, mods can be installes systemwide in ~/.minetest/mods/minetest (create those folders if they don't exist).
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
 

The Unmodded Man
 

by The Unmodded Man » Mon Dec 24, 2012 23:01

I'm struggling with mod paths too. I've seen lots of documentation that says creating a the path ~/.minetest/mods/minetest should work but does not for me. I've found /usr/share/minetest and located a folder in there where I'm told mods should go, but that doesn't work for me either even once I make the ownership and perms match the other mods in that folder.

Is there nowhere in the conf file where we can explicitly list mods, or an ingame command?
 

the tao of badass
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 01:11
 


Return to General Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests