Mentor in forums

MEGASPARK

Mentor in forums

by MEGASPARK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:02

Hello guys! i am new to the game, please someone tell me some tips here in my topic. thank you guys!
I Live When I Dig

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:24

Welcome! What are you wanting to learn? Gameplay? Modding?

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:25

i want to know some.. stuff,, like... basic controls and what they do =)
I Live When I Dig

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:33

Well default controls, wasd to move, right click to place a block, left click to dig, space to jump, i to open inventory. Also, you can see your coordinates by pressing f5 and you can take a screenshot by pressing f12.

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:34

ok thanks!
I Live When I Dig

Aqua

by Aqua » Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:50

Play around with f1, f2 etc. they all do something different =D
Edit: and f10 is really buggy for some people.
Last edited by Aqua on Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
Hi there ^.~

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:20

When you have fast which is the j button, press e while walking to sprint.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:33

ok thanks guys!
I Live When I Dig

davidpace

by davidpace » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24

Welcome! Just a heads up. If you do play on servers. Most of them do not allow griefing. Griefing (if you don't know what it is) is ruining someone elses work. Soo say you join a server, someone has built a house, and you just start breaking apart the blocks. In my opinion the best servers are: Redcrabs 0.4.4 (NO Griefing), VanessaE's server (no Griefing), And also some of OldCoder's servers. If you don't know how to join a server. This is how you do it. Open up minetest program. Go to multiplayer tab. There will be a few slots which you have to fill in. The First one is the "Name" You enter your name in there. Second is Password, you enter a password you will remember into it, you will use it when you log onto any server. Third is the "Address" which you can find at the servers page here in the minetest forums under the "Servers" page. The server page will also list the "Port" you must enter. Then you just enter the game, most servers you must request privs on there minetest page. e.g. Hi my name is MEGASPARK, can I have privs please? Once you're granted privs you're allowed to dig blocks, build, mine etc. Being granted privs usually takes a day or 2. And some servers grant you privs automatically. Also most servers do not allow killing other players, unless the other player agrees to fight you, this style of play is called PvP. There is also a minetest IRC, heres the link to it: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=minetest just enter your name and the Captcha to enter, usually there are helpful people there :), like VanessaE, redcrab, celeron55 (the creator of minetest). And a lot of other helpful people. Feel free to ask any questions! And Happy building :) Also griefers get banned.

Sorry for bad grammar, and mispelled words!

David
Last edited by davidpace on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

davidpace

by davidpace » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:26

Some of oldcoders servers are: Address: minetest.org And the port is: 30000 another one Address minetest.org Port: 30001

You can find OldCoder on IRC, he usually hardly comes onto the forums. He has about 18-20 dedicated servers :-) (24/7 servers)

David

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59

davidpace wrote:Welcome! Just a heads up. If you do play on servers. Most of them do not allow griefing. Griefing (if you don't know what it is) is ruining someone elses work. Soo say you join a server, someone has built a house, and you just start breaking apart the blocks. In my opinion the best servers are: Redcrabs 0.4.4 (NO Griefing), VanessaE's server (no Griefing), And also some of OldCoder's servers. If you don't know how to join a server. This is how you do it. Open up minetest program. Go to multiplayer tab. There will be a few slots which you have to fill in. The First one is the "Name" You enter your name in there. Second is Password, you enter a password you will remember into it, you will use it when you log onto any server. Third is the "Address" which you can find at the servers page here in the minetest forums under the "Servers" page. The server page will also list the "Port" you must enter. Then you just enter the game, most servers you must request privs on there minetest page. e.g. Hi my name is MEGASPARK, can I have privs please? Once you're granted privs you're allowed to dig blocks, build, mine etc. Being granted privs usually takes a day or 2. And some servers grant you privs automatically. Also most servers do not allow killing other players, unless the other player agrees to fight you, this style of play is called PvP. There is also a minetest IRC, heres the link to it: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=minetest just enter your name and the Captcha to enter, usually there are helpful people there :), like VanessaE, redcrab, celeron55 (the creator of minetest). And a lot of other helpful people. Feel free to ask any questions! And Happy building :) Also griefers get banned.

Sorry for bad grammar, and mispelled words!

David

Also adding stuff to buildings that are not your own is greifing
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

davidpace

by davidpace » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36

yep

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:44

And in VanessE's server you can ask for protection of areas
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Dec 18, 2012 17:00

I would have to say that adding something to a building is griefing if and only if what you're doing changes the intent, structure, or overall appearance of the building.

If all you're doing is adding a few blocks to fill in a hole the original builder obviously missed, or if you're repairing damage from a real griefer, you're not griefing at all - you're helping.

We are all taught that these kinds of actions (in a general sense) are to be favored, so there's no reason to "change the rules" just because this is a video game.

This type of game is supposed to be about collaborative building as much as anything else, and helping someone build their structure or make repairs should be seen as such.

Now, taking stuff from a building probably is griefing in almost any case, unless you're clearing out wild plants you know the builder didn't place, or say pruning an ABM-spawned tree that grew into someone's structure.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 02:57

ohhhh so i should be careful for what am i doing as a kid
I Live When I Dig

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 04:20

As am adult also
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:20

As a good rule of thumb, if it's not built by you, don't touch it. If you do break it by accident, repair the damage. And of course, be very, VERY careful whenever you play around or with lava. I'm sure you won't like to see your precious castle ruined by someone else, so don't do it to others.

If you're looking for other things, there are also dedicated PvP and griefing servers (a.k.a free for all). In those servers, you basically do a simple fort/house and defend it to death.

Choosing the server to play on depends on your taste. For example, I like to play mostly on pacific servers (i.e: no-pvp and no-griefing).

Also, if you see a "griefer" in a no-griefing server, you should report it to the server admin so he can take the necessary actions to prevent this (they may issue a warning or even ban the player in question).

If you are unsure, ask the server admin or some regular user about the rules of the server.

Have fun!
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Dec 19, 2012 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:49

oh yeahh
I Live When I Dig

Obiewan1111

by Obiewan1111 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 16:39

Start playing in singleplayer for a bit, get used to crafting and also use different texture packs and mods, Which is what I did, and in a few days time, you'll be as good a builder as anyone else - Possibly better. And also, Welcome!
Youtube Channel; Minetest Gaming Videos

Is suggesting the Offtopic Section and getting it added an achievement? I guess it is!

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 13:28

=) thanks
I Live When I Dig

MEGASPARK

by MEGASPARK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 06:09

how bout modding? how to mod
I Live When I Dig

Return to General Discussion