[Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

Stix

IRC: Stix + Stix_
In-game: Stix

Re: [Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [0.6.0] [snowdrift

by Stix » Tue Jul 24, 2018 18:34

paramat wrote:Version 0.6.0 released.

Inspired by the ideas of others who have worked on this, i have removed the weird behaviour of precipitation stopping when the player is undercover.
I have made each particle check being under open sky (light == 15) to spawn, and collision detection is on. Now particles don't pass through objects and precipitation continues outside when the player is undercover.
It's a big improvement, more intensive but worth it.

Also included is more parameters and player position prediction from a pull request by lhofhansl.

Cool! Any chance of this getting merged into default?

*EDIT: what about little particles that are spawned when raindrops hit the ground to simulate splashes? Right now it looks like the rain just falls into the ground, which is weird imo.
They say life is love, but all i see is hysteria.
Need to know something? "Google it" --GreenDimond
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 20:06

I have made snowdrift and lightning mod work together by letting the lightning mod peek at the table that memorizes if the raining sound is playing or not. It would be nice to export a function that tells what the whether currently is for a given player (or an arbitrary location?) in order to facilitate mod interop (an extra "storm" whether would be welcome too).

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 14:33

Also decreasing luminosity (I'm thinking set_day_night ratio) when raining/snowing would be a nice effect and would have the side effect of slowing down plant growth (wheat, cotton and saplings).

Oh and while you are at it ;-) an Under Sky -like function would be nice because mods that change the sky often conflict with each other.

Well if you like the ideas but have no time for them I can try to do them myself and send you the result.

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Fri Jul 27, 2018 22:43

0.6.0 is too intensive to be used on my test server. Too bad there isn't some engine API to speed things up a bit.

paramat
Developer

GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 04:30

Too intensive for the clients? FPS too low? How do you know it is too intensive for the server, what happened?
There are parameters in the init.lua to reduce the amount of particles spawned (which also reduces server load). Reduce FLAKPOS, DROPPOS, they are set quite high by default.
But certainly the perfectionism of the method now used comes at a cost and doesn't allow very many particles.
I also have an idea of how to possibly reduce light checks.

Fixer

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 15:38

>weird behaviour of precipitation stopping when the player is undercover.

Nice, looks much better now. Too bad https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/6540 or alternatives are not merged to increase particle count.

Fixer

by Fixer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 15:47

>0.6.0 is too intensive to be used on my test server. Too bad there isn't some engine API to speed things up a bit.

Here is some profiling: https://pastebin.com/raw/ZaHvdJfE

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Sun Jul 29, 2018 20:25

Server platform is Bulldozer gen1 at 2.4Ghz, more than enough memory and network bandwidth. The new snowdrift works okay for a minute or two after connecting but then the server soft-disconnects (client is still "in world" and able to do things but only client side, not synced with server). The issue disappears with snowdrift disabled.

SAMIAMNOT

In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Sat Aug 04, 2018 15:42

Just curious, does this mod have snow accumulation?
I test mines.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 00:50

Hmm maybe the server is sending too many particle creation requests to the clients? By default it's 192 every 0.5s per-player.
See if reducing the parameter DROPPOS to a very low number helps.

SAMIAMNOT no not yet, i have thought about it though to add snow to player builds.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 08:57

The snow "dust" (as it is called in the biomes definitions) is a somewhat questionable feature to me. For me, it screws a lot of things (rounded tree trunks, mob spawning, buildings generation, it can let you hop from tree to tree even though you made leaves not walkable...) unless I explicitly account for it and in particular, disable it in the biomes definitions where it is problematic. I would be careful with that imho somewhat questionable feature.

Fixer

paramat
Developer

Re: [Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

by paramat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 20:31

Updated to fix a few things and improve:

Tune parameters. Remove broken PRECOFF and replace with a fixed noise threshold. Improve comments. Use clouds bool in set_sky() to remove clouds from overcast sky.

There was a bug in the previous version which caused constant precipitation, now fixed. Now it precipitates roughly 1/3rd of the time. Time scale for precipitation is 5 mins so you may need to wait 5-10 mins to see rain or snow.

Now this is for MT 0.4.16 and later, although it may still work in 0.4.15.

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Fri Aug 10, 2018 05:24

Simply beautiful. My favourite weather mod!

Is it somehow possible to check if it's raining on a player?

I imagine a mod where you catch a cold if you get wet too long. Something like this or that, just with rain.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57

See my comments on July 26th and 27th. I'd like to know if they have been ignored or overlooked.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Tue Aug 14, 2018 15:40

Neither, i have read them and considered but am currently not interested in doing any of those. I recommend forking the mod and seeing what you can do.
While i am very interested in what improvements people make to this mod (please link me to your code) note that i almost never merge pull requests to snowdrift.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Tue Aug 14, 2018 15:45

I tried using the Lua voxel manipulator to bulk-read the light values of the area above the player, instead of individual uses of 'get node light', however the LVM turned out to be a little slower for a typical 128-192 light samples.

Previous

Return to Mod Releases