Seeds

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

Seeds

by darthvader » Post

When I look at the debug info, they give me a seed, but how do you use it?
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
Location: Germany

by PilzAdam » Post

What do you mean by "how do you use it"?

User avatar
paramat
Developer
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat
Location: UK

by paramat » Post

De bug gave you a seed?
Plant it in soil add water it might be something nice ;)
Last edited by paramat on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
I rely on donations for basic income. PayPal viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935 Patreon https://www.patreon.com/paramat

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

How do you type it in for world generation?
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

paramat wrote:De bug gave you a seed?
Plant it in soil add water it might be something nice ;)
Idiot, a world generation seed.
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
Location: Germany

by PilzAdam » Post

darthvader wrote:
paramat wrote:De bug gave you a seed?
Plant it in soil add water it might be something nice ;)
Idiot, a world generation seed.
Huh? Are you unable to understand simple jokes? Do you feel unsure about yourself and have to compensate that by insulting others?

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
darthvader wrote:
paramat wrote:De bug gave you a seed?
Plant it in soil add water it might be something nice ;)
Idiot, a world generation seed.
Huh? Are you unable to understand simple jokes? Do you feel unsure about yourself and have to compensate that by insulting others?
Sorry, but this is FORUMS, you need to take it seriously.
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
paramat
Developer
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat
Location: UK

by paramat » Post

LOL don't worry guys i didn't take offense :)
Last edited by paramat on Tue Sep 24, 2013 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
I rely on donations for basic income. PayPal viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935 Patreon https://www.patreon.com/paramat

User avatar
Menche
Member
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 00:43
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche
Location: An island in a lava lake.

by Menche » Post

There isn't a nice graphical way of using seeds right now. There are 2 things you can do:
  • Set it in the config, so it affects all new worlds:
    Do one of the following:
    • Close Minetest, add "fixed_map_seed = your_seed" to minetest.conf.
    • Say "/set -n fixed_map_seed your_seed" in-game, then create a new world.
  • Set it for one world, sort of hacky:
    1. Create a new world, then close minetest.
    2. Delete the file "map.sqlite" and/or "map.db" from the world folder.
    3. Edit the file "map_meta.txt"; change the "seed = " value to what you want.
    4. Load the world; it should regenerate with the new seed.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Sep 23, 2013 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

User avatar
kaeza
Moderator
Posts: 2162
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 05:00
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Contact:

by kaeza » Post

darthvader wrote:Sorry, but this is FORUMS, you need to take it seriously.
Still, insulting others in a forum where everyone is volunteering their efforts (i.e. not being paid to help you) will not yield good results.

Anyway, back to topic, create a new world, go to <yourminetestdir>\worlds\<yourworldname>, open world.mt with Notepad, and edit the line that says "seed=<a number>". Replace <a number> with your seed, delete the file map.sqlite, and then enter your world again to use the seed.

Either that or wait until 0.4.8 which will have a "seed" field in map creation dialog.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Menche
Last edited by kaeza on Tue Sep 24, 2013 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I feel the need to state that the Minetest community consists of hobbyists, not slaves. Just something everyone here should keep in mind. I want this community to be a friendly place where people feel welcome, not a clone of Minecraft's community.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

User avatar
paramat
Developer
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat
Location: UK

by paramat » Post

I didn't take the insult seriously, i thought it was funny B)
I rely on donations for basic income. PayPal viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935 Patreon https://www.patreon.com/paramat

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

paramat wrote:I didn't take the insult seriously, i thought it was funny B)
Sorry, but why funny?
Last edited by darthvader on Tue Sep 24, 2013 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

But sill, if you wanna mess around go to offtopic, maps, mods or texture packs. But not when somebody asks a question and wants the answer ASAP. (LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam
Location: Germany

by PilzAdam » Post

darthvader wrote:But sill, if you wanna mess around go to offtopic, maps, mods or texture packs. But not when somebody asks a question and wants the answer ASAP. (LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
No, impatient or insulting people wont get answers (maybe read "How to ask questions" in my signature).
This is a game forum, we are all here in our freetime and just want to have fun. If people want to make jokes, let them do it.

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
darthvader wrote:But sill, if you wanna mess around go to offtopic, maps, mods or texture packs. But not when somebody asks a question and wants the answer ASAP. (LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
No, impatient or insulting people wont get answers (maybe read "How to ask questions" in my signature).
This is a game forum, we are all here in our freetime and just want to have fun. If people want to make jokes, let them do it.
OK, I really realise ur telling the truth, i'll try not to do dat again. (I have anger issues)
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

kaeza wrote: Still, insulting others in a forum where everyone is volunteering their efforts (i.e. not being paid to help you) will not yield good results.

Anyway, back to topic, create a new world, go to <yourminetestdir>\worlds\<yourworldname>, open world.mt with Notepad, and edit the line that says "seed=<a number>". Replace <a number> with your seed, delete the file map.sqlite, and then enter your world again to use the seed.

Either that or wait until 0.4.8 which will have a "seed" field in map creation dialog.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Menche
Where can I download 0.4.8?
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
sfan5
Moderator
Posts: 3938
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 09:44
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5
Location: Germany

by sfan5 » Post

darthvader wrote:
kaeza wrote: Still, insulting others in a forum where everyone is volunteering their efforts (i.e. not being paid to help you) will not yield good results.

Anyway, back to topic, create a new world, go to <yourminetestdir>\worlds\<yourworldname>, open world.mt with Notepad, and edit the line that says "seed=<a number>". Replace <a number> with your seed, delete the file map.sqlite, and then enter your world again to use the seed.

Either that or wait until 0.4.8 which will have a "seed" field in map creation dialog.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Menche
Where can I download 0.4.8?
0.4.8 is not released yet
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

PilzAdam wrote:(maybe read "How to ask questions" in my signature).
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiinnnng
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
Posts: 3096
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

darthvader wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:(maybe read "How to ask questions" in my signature).
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiinnnng
Do not underestimate the values of being able to think for yourself, being able to focus, being able to reason, and being able to learn.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

paramat wrote:LOL don't worry guys i didn't take offense :)
Ok, you didn't take offense. But I am really sorry.
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

Inocudom wrote:
darthvader wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:(maybe read "How to ask questions" in my signature).
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiinnnng
Do not underestimate the values of being able to think for yourself, being able to focus, being able to reason, and being able to learn.
I agree, but that is lame.
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
darthvader
Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 14:35
Location: Death Star

by darthvader » Post

C'mon guys, I don't wanna start a fight. Please, calm down.
Q. Why cant you write with a broken pencil?
A. Because its not in minetest.
(The original answer is "Because it's pointless.")

User avatar
paramat
Developer
Posts: 3699
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 00:05
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat
Location: UK

by paramat » Post

darthvader wrote:Ok, you didn't take offense. But I am really sorry.
Thanks for that :)
I rely on donations for basic income. PayPal viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935 Patreon https://www.patreon.com/paramat

dirkk0
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 09:05
GitHub: dirkk0
IRC: dirkk0
In-game: dirkk0

Re: Seeds

by dirkk0 » Post

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but since I had the same question - something like this works for me:

Code: Select all

rm .minetest/worlds/world/map.sqlite
rm .minetest/worlds/world/world.mt
rm -rf .minetest/worlds/world/players
rm -rf .minetest/worlds/world/auth.txt
rm -rf .minetest/worlds/world/rollback.sqlite
rm -rf .minetest/worlds/world/env_meta.txt
cat .minetest/worlds/world/map_meta.txt | sed 's/seed =.*/seed = 6822430540582620989/' > del.txt
rm .minetest/worlds/world/map_meta.txt
mv del.txt .minetest/worlds/world/map_meta.txxt
(surprisingly enough, the seed '123' gives a nice world, with coal in your vicinity :-) )

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest