[Mod] Inlay Node [1.2] [inlaid]

Enke

GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

[Mod] Inlay Node [1.2] [inlaid]

by Enke » Thu Nov 21, 2013 23:24

This mod adds the mineral textures of coal, iron, copper, mese, gold, and diamond onto nodes.. A new feature with 0.9 is the ability to add a diamond to your node. The new recipe is a secret.

You start by crafting an Inlay Tool.

Then you place the Inlay Tool in the crafting grid, along with the node and the ore (currently supported minerals are: coal, iron, mese, gold, copper, diamond.). The recipes are shapeless.

Screenies!
Image Coal Cobble
Image What I'm proudest of. The mod will adapt to whatever texture pack you are using, e.g. what this image displays. <- With version 1.2 this is only mostly true. Pictures will get updated as soon as I have the time.
Image Some of the Inlaid nodes.

ToDo
Not much right now.

Now then, time for all the technical stuff:

License: Code is licensed under the WTFPL license, WTFPL for the Inlay Tool and Chisel. As the textures of the nodes will change with different texture packs, consult the license of the texture pack for the license of the nodes.

Depends on default. May add support for other mods in the future.

Notes: Versions 0.1-0.3 have the code written so that it should always work with the texture pack you are using. Versions 0.4-0.10 have textures in a texture folder. Versions 1.0 and later revert to the way that 0.1-0.3 handled textures. Also, if anyone desires to make better textures for the Inlay tool, please go ahead.

How to install: download the file by clicking on the links below, then rename the folder to "inlaid" (without quotes), and place it in the mods folder of you Freeminer directory. Enable it in the "Config" tab of the worlds menu. Enjoy!

Download:
Enjoy the code, or find all previous versions on Github

Special Thanks to SegFault22 and Kaeza!
Last edited by Enke on Fri Nov 27, 2015 07:52, edited 2 times in total.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Enke

by Enke » Sat Nov 23, 2013 17:58

Update: Version 0.2.

Adds support for Stone Bricks. Also a minor bugfix.
Lush8

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

Enke

by Enke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 15:53

webdesigner97 wrote:Sorry for this, but:

Why?

Well, I thought that it was something original, and the concept seemed good to me, so I made it. I also figured it would be a good way to get my name out there as a new modder.
Lush8

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sun Nov 24, 2013 17:24

Enke wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:Sorry for this, but:

Why?

Well, I thought that it was something original, and the concept seemed good to me, so I made it. I also figured it would be a good way to get my name out there as a new modder.
Well, one thing it could be good for is decorating cave themed homes. You should make it so you can inlay the ores back into the stone.
Back from the dead!

Enke

by Enke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 17:35

Evergreen wrote:Well, one thing it could be good for is decorating cave themed homes. You should make it so you can inlay the ores back into the stone.

I suppose I can work on that in version 0.4. I want to take things one at a time, and what I'm planning on next is to add brick block support. By version 1.0 I want to have drops and sounds working.
Last edited by Enke on Sun Nov 24, 2013 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 19:53

Update: Version 0.3

This update adds support for brick blocks. It also adds a description, and screenshot for the mods tab in the main menu.
Last edited by Enke on Mon Nov 25, 2013 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 03:23

Update: Version 0.4

At the request of VanessaE, code has been rewritten to use provided textures, so that texture pack authors can make their own textures for the inlaid nodes. Other than that, no changes. Does anyone have any ideas for what nodes I should work on next?
Lush8

hoodedice

GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 03:36

What evergreen said sound's kinky. Back onto stone
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Enke

by Enke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 03:39

Alright. I'll work on that soon.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 22:34

Update: Version 0.4.1

Fixes license, adds a version history text file, and nerfs the crafting recipes for the inlay tool and chisel.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 20:25

Update: Version 0.5

Adds the much-awaited support for stone blocks!
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Thu Nov 28, 2013 00:53

Update: Version 0.6

Adds support for desert stone and sandstone.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Fri Nov 29, 2013 23:52

Update: Version 0.7

Adds support for MESE blocks.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Mon Dec 09, 2013 16:06

Update: Version 0.8

Adds support for junglewood planks.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 03:14

Update: Version 0.9

You can now inlay 1 diamond into a node by placing the node, the diamond, and the chisel into the crafting grid.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Wed Dec 18, 2013 22:34

Update: Version 0.10

Files merged; craftitem recipes further nerfed.
Lush8

Enke

by Enke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:00

Update: Version 1.0

Texture system redone, and the nodes now drop lumps/crystals when mined.

This is probably my last update, unless you guys want more. I doubt it, though, as this mod wasn't ever that popular.
Last edited by Enke on Wed Jan 08, 2014 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 04:15

If you ever add support for other mods, I suggest that for the ores that can drop >1 items, make the items required to craft its block(s) use one more items than the maximum number of items that can be dropped each time it is mined. Or double it for everything, as there are mods which might be capable of doubling ore output through technology.
Similar to this was a famous issue with Equivalent Exchange 2 (minecraft mod), where metal-ingots like Iron could be transmuted back into their ore at a 1:1 ratio, whereas an ore processor like the electric Macerator could produce metal dust at a 2:1 ratio (to ore blocks), and those dusts could each be smelted for a full ingot - thus creating an infinite duplication loop.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Enke

by Enke » Fri Jan 10, 2014 01:03

Well, I set up the mod to give you 1 ore when you mine the node, and require one ore to craft the node. As far as I can see, there shouldn't be a way to cheat the system.
Lush8

Krock
Developer

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 18:26

Enke wrote:Well, I set up the mod to give you 1 ore when you mine the node, and require one ore to craft the node. As far as I can see, there shouldn't be a way to cheat the system.

Well, I think your mod loses some interested peoples because you're using default textures.
Would it be possible to make them "better"/nicer? I didn't download because it doesn't look enough nice and creative for me.
This are my thoughts, maybe wrong, no idea.
Mod Search Engine - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Enke

by Enke » Sat Jan 11, 2014 00:48

Krock wrote:Well, I think your mod loses some interested peoples because you're using default textures.
Would it be possible to make them "better"/nicer? I didn't download because it doesn't look enough nice and creative for me.
This are my thoughts, maybe wrong, no idea.

Here's the thing, and I'll probably edit my post to this. As of 1.0 and forward, the mod is set up to use the textures from your texture pack. Here's some screenshots for an example.
Example with the Default textures, as you mentioned.

An image taken with the Gridtoon Texture pack. The mod did this by itself, I didn't edit the textures. You can go to the 'hub and look in the textures folder. You won't find them.

However, thank's for you critique of the mod. You have alerted me to the fact that I should do some better explanation in my OP. Thanks! :)

Edit* You've also made me realise that I had a bug! Thanks again! *Enke hands Krock a +4 scale mail of respiration*
Last edited by Enke on Sat Jan 11, 2014 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lush8

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 01:02

In my mod, MoreStuff2, the user can craft basic non-tool "tools" (Hammer, Saw, etc.) using Steel/Steel plates. Said tools have infinite uses, but do not work as a tool on any nodes or entities in the world - they are just items.
I suggest that you do something similar - make your tool recipes yield One of the tools, and edit your recipes to replace the tool with itself. Although they would have infinite uses, it's not like it is overpowered, because you don't use those tools on entities/nodes in the world - only for crafting "extra"/decorative stuff.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Enke

by Enke » Sat Jan 11, 2014 01:05

SegFault22 wrote:In my mod, MoreStuff2, the user can craft basic non-tool "tools" (Hammer, Saw, etc.) using Steel/Steel plates. Said tools have infinite uses, but do not work as a tool on any nodes or entities in the world - they are just items.
I suggest that you do something similar - make your tool recipes yield One of the tools, and edit your recipes to replace the tool with itself. Although they would have infinite uses, it's not like it is overpowered, because you don't use those tools on entities/nodes in the world - only for crafting "extra"/decorative stuff.

It sounds like a good idea, but I have no clue how to implement it... Sorry. I would love to if I could.
Lush8

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 01:29

In my mod, I add several recipes for converting naturally-generated stone materials into Bricks. This requires a saw, which is replaced with itself. The code:
[spoiler=code]
Code: Select all
local crafting = {
    { "morestuff2:block_granite", "morestuff2:bricks_granite 8" },
    { "morestuff2:block_marble", "morestuff2:bricks_marble 8", },
    { "morestuff2:block_basalt", "morestuff2:bricks_basalt 8", },
    { "morestuff2:block_gneiss", "morestuff2:bricks_gneiss 8", },
    { "morestuff2:block_limestone", "morestuff2:bricks_limestone 8", },
    { "morestuff2:block_schist", "morestuff2:bricks_schist 8", },
    { "morestuff2:block_quartzite", "morestuff2:bricks_quartzite 8", },
}

for _, row in ipairs(crafting) do
    local craftin = row[1]
    local craftout = row[2]

minetest.register_craft( {
    output = craftout..'',
    recipe = {
        { craftin, craftin, craftin },
        { craftin, 'morestuff2:saw', craftin },
        { craftin, craftin, craftin },
      },
      replacements = { {'morestuff2:saw', 'morestuff2:saw'}, },
    })

end

[/spoiler]
Notice this line - it is the one that does the replacing:
Code: Select all
      replacements = { {'morestuff2:saw', 'morestuff2:saw'}, },

It is very similar in structure/location to the "recipe" line(s). This code will replace any Saw in the recipe with a Saw, so the saw is never consumed.
"Saw" is also just an Item, registered elsewhere. Using it on anything will not damage it, and it can not be used like other tools for any speed/damage increasing effects.
And don't forget the commas, they are important for some odd reason.
Last edited by SegFault22 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Mod Releases