Searching for Server!

Tyyni
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 18:49

Searching for Server!

by Tyyni » Wed Feb 12, 2014 15:18

Not sure if this is the proper place for this. If it is, please feel free to move this thread or whatever.

Ok so I've been playing Minetest for a bit, then I decided to jump on some servers. Multiplayer is much more fun for me compared to single player, however I'm having a hard time finding a server I can get involved in. Perhaps someone here can help me out.

I'm looking for a server with a survival/adventure element, something newer and less developed then some servers. Something with HUD/Mobs/Etc installed to make the survival element a bit more realistic.

English speaking mature players is a big deal for me, since I cannot speak any other language.

I can't host my own server simply because my laptop is horrible.

If anyone knows of a server, or wants to set one up, please feel free to respond to this topic or PM me. I'd prefer 18+ people to play with.
 

User avatar
Krock
Developer
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 07:48
Location: Switzerland
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Wed Feb 12, 2014 15:30

How about looking through the whole server list and checking each of them?
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>
 

User avatar
Novacain
Member
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 01:03
Location: Skaaro

by Novacain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 16:12

Tyyni wrote: HUD/Mobs/Etc installed to make the survival element a bit more realistic.


that's gonna be a hard one. most servers don't have mobs, simply since it slows everything down way too much.
Tyyni wrote:I'd prefer 18+ people to play with.


there is a very wide range of players in this game. unless it is a whitelist project, there are gonna be some younger kids. however, there are a lot of young kids who are plenty mature for the game.

and, as Krock said, take a look through the servers on the list. might find one that strikes your fancy.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod
 

Tyyni
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 18:49

by Tyyni » Wed Feb 12, 2014 18:49

I looked through the servers. I am having a hard time finding a server with mobs and english speakers. The age range is just a hint at maturity. I do not expect to just play with 18+ but I'm hoping to find mature players. With some games, this can be difficult.
I appreciate your responses however!
 

User avatar
Novacain
Member
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 01:03
Location: Skaaro

by Novacain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 19:52

I think the biggest problem is you want mobs. unless you are playing on a small (like ten players tops) server, you aren't gonna find mobs. it's the sort of thing that no one wants to play with 80 second lag. if you want, you can try playing on survival servers, and just ask around to see if anyone has a private server with mobs installed.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod
 

Tyyni
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 18:49

by Tyyni » Wed Feb 12, 2014 20:01

I'll try that thanks :)
I guess I've never had problems with mobs slowing my game down. Some of the mods do slow it down, like the furniture mod and such. Didn't realize it would be such a problem.
 

User avatar
Novacain
Member
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 01:03
Location: Skaaro

by Novacain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 21:13

Tyyni wrote:I'll try that thanks :)
I guess I've never had problems with mobs slowing my game down. Some of the mods do slow it down, like the furniture mod and such. Didn't realize it would be such a problem.


well, not when it's one person. make it 20 people, spread over a large area, and all of a sudden you have so many mobs that the lag is insuffereable.
EXTERMINATE!!!
My Tronrealm modpack
My tronblocks mod
 

Tyyni
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 18:49

by Tyyni » Wed Feb 12, 2014 23:57

That makes sense. Well hopefully I'll find a private server, it's so boring doing things alone lol
 

Sokomine
Member
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 17:31
GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Feb 13, 2014 16:45

Perhaps you'd enjoy the mineguild.de server. It even runs mobf! The players are mature, the server has not been developed much (although the very few buildings that are there are of good quality), it has hunger installed. Only disadvantages there might be that players are few and the server is mostly German - which isn't such a big problem as everybody can speak English. People just have to know that you prefer that language. The few signs ought to be no real problem.

Another server with mobs installed - in this case simple mobs - is the Xanadu server. It has an intresting mapgen and seems to aim at hardcore survival (=almost complete item loss at death currently). Unfortionately, the "mature players" requirement is more difficult here - many phone/tablet users manage to connect to the server due to there not beeing much media content, and most of these do not behave mature. Of course that's a problem each server with few media data and interact on join faces. The moderators/admins do a good job but can't be everywhere.

Hopefully, the general problems Minetest has with entities will eventually be solved. When that happens, VanessaE's survival server will be equipped with simple mobs again. The players on that server are mature and build well. There are plenty of unexplored regions :-) Mobs are of course only an addition there. The main goal is to build well and have fun.

A further option might be one of the FreeMiner-servers run by paramat (i.e. road, sky). I personally did not like them that much because my needs as a builder where not adressed (my ice castle melted unexpectedly - who could know that there would be seasons? PvP wasn't dealt with - "kill the attacker" is not the answer which will make me stay). The landscape and mapgen of these worlds is truely impressive.

In general, there seem to be too many problems with mobs to run them successfully on a large server with many mature players. Most servers running mobs of some kind are either small and/or don't last very long.
A list of my mods can be found here.
 

Daven
Member
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 21:51
Location: Inside the white whale

by Daven » Thu Feb 13, 2014 17:14

Sokomine wrote:Perhaps you'd enjoy the mineguild.de server. It even runs mobf! The players are mature, the server has not been developed much (although the very few buildings that are there are of good quality), it has hunger installed. Only disadvantages there might be that players are few and the server is mostly German - which isn't such a big problem as everybody can speak English. People just have to know that you prefer that language. The few signs ought to be no real problem.

Another server with mobs installed - in this case simple mobs - is the Xanadu server. It has an intresting mapgen and seems to aim at hardcore survival (=almost complete item loss at death currently). Unfortionately, the "mature players" requirement is more difficult here - many phone/tablet users manage to connect to the server due to there not beeing much media content, and most of these do not behave mature. Of course that's a problem each server with few media data and interact on join faces. The moderators/admins do a good job but can't be everywhere.

Hopefully, the general problems Minetest has with entities will eventually be solved. When that happens, VanessaE's survival server will be equipped with simple mobs again. The players on that server are mature and build well. There are plenty of unexplored regions :-) Mobs are of course only an addition there. The main goal is to build well and have fun.

A further option might be one of the FreeMiner-servers run by paramat (i.e. road, sky). I personally did not like them that much because my needs as a builder where not adressed (my ice castle melted unexpectedly - who could know that there would be seasons? PvP wasn't dealt with - "kill the attacker" is not the answer which will make me stay). The landscape and mapgen of these worlds is truely impressive.

In general, there seem to be too many problems with mobs to run them successfully on a large server with many mature players. Most servers running mobs of some kind are either small and/or don't last very long.

Yeah....What he said
 


Return to Servers



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests