[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.42] [mobs]

by TenPlus1 » Post

Updated to version 1.42:

- Added "all" option to immune_to table so that no weapon harms mob unless it's specified.
- Optimized floating mobs code so it's less intensive.
- Added some new lucky blocks.
- Mob Fence can be used as fuel.

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

would be nice if mob fence came in different woods
but default is nice as well

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

by csirolli » Post

I have noticed that a lot of mobs seem to only have a 1x1x1 (roughly) collisionbox. Is this due to a limitation in the Mobs Redo api, or the MineTest api? Or are the collisionbox dimensions configurable and mob designers haven't taken advantage of it (or improperly used it)?

EDIT: I looked at some code for a mob made with this api, and noticed that the collisionbox is configurable. However, when a mob rotates, the collisionbox doesn't rotate with it. Do you know why?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

csirolli: that is the limitation in the minetest engine where the collisionbox does not rotate with the mob, which is why collisionboxes themselves end up being square shaped so they fit through specific gaps/heights. Mobs Redo will let you define a mob with any size collision and selection box though :)

R-One

by R-One » Post

Hello,

First of all thank you for your great work.

1- Would it be possible to make the mobs follow the direction of flowing liquids?

this has been done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFmFTtNK_E&t=59s

He said he used a flowlib librairire and changed the mobs_redo API, but he never responded later.

it would be useful to make farms to mobs.

2- another question a lot of mobs get stuck in front of a wall and try to jump or not return with a wide enough angle to start again. is there an opportunity to change that?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

The flowlib could be used per mob but it could get rather intensive when run on a server with the number of node checks it would have to do. I'll look into it though.

csirolli
GitHub: HeyITGuyFixIt
IRC: CSirolli
In-game: CSirolli

by csirolli » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:csirolli: that is the limitation in the minetest engine where the collisionbox does not rotate with the mob, which is why collisionboxes themselves end up being square shaped so they fit through specific gaps/heights. Mobs Redo will let you define a mob with any size collision and selection box though :)
I opened an issue on GitHub about it. Hopefully this will change for the better.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

TenPlus, please, move all your mods (Mobs Redo, Farming Redo, Ethereal Redo...) to content.minetest.net

lister

by lister » Post

please, let's not get silly so fast.

we only distribute our mods via albino carrier pigeons with the soft written into their dna, and if you haven't tried it, well then you have absolutely no right to even hope that whatever you are using right now is better or has any right to exist.

:-D oh, seriously, github is about to get a bucket of redmond sewer water dumped on it, so we are like looking at gitlab and sniffing the air :-|

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

lister wrote:please, let's not get silly so fast.

we only distribute our mods via albino carrier pigeons with the soft written into their dna, and if you haven't tried it, well then you have absolutely no right to even hope that whatever you are using right now is better or has any right to exist.

:-D oh, seriously, github is about to get a bucket of redmond sewer water dumped on it, so we are like looking at gitlab and sniffing the air :-|
content.minetest.net is the package database behind the in-menu thing installing coming in 0.5.0

Also, this package is already there: https://content.minetest.net/packages/TenPlus1/mobs/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

R-One

by R-One » Post

Hello,

Is there a possibility to spwaner several mobs at the same time (a group)?

another question: Is it possible that one mob necessarily follow another (always in the perspective of forming a group)?

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

you could add an on_spawn function to quickly search for similar mobs and set self.following.

R-One

by R-One » Post

Thank you very much for all your answers TenPlus1

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

Please move your mods back to github. Every link and submodule is broken now.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Yes, the Microsoft acquisition of Github DOES hurt open source projects such as Minetest, but up until now only because of self-mutilation by scattering repos all across the web.

h-v-smacker
GitHub: h-v-smacker
In-game: Smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

texmex wrote:Yes, the Microsoft acquisition of Github DOES hurt open source projects such as Minetest, but up until now only because of self-mutilation by scattering repos all across the web.
That's their endgame. Having to get N different accounts for various git-whatevers (gitlab, bitbucket, notabug, you-name-it) is very damn efficient at drastically reducing the number of occasional contributors. Most people will not bother registering anywhere beside their own git-service, and so the community of developers of every project will be reduced to the few core devs and some extras who happened to choose the same git-whatever to emigrate to.
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

This is sadly quite true.
it will become to complex for a contributer to keep track of where each individual repository is hosted.

This is exactly why it would be nice if everyone would just continue with the status quo, until/if things do start to happen in a negative manner

While it is perfectly reasonable for those who contribute to set up a backup plan (hoster), to completely make the move now is premature and will eventually begin to cause issues, as mentioned.
A Wonderful World

h-v-smacker
GitHub: h-v-smacker
In-game: Smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:This is exactly why it would be nice if everyone would just continue with the status quo, until/if things do start to happen in a negative manner
I'm waiting for things to settle down and a decent alternative to emerge. Preferably, in the form of some git-service for minetest mods specifically. Jumping ASAP to different services might "show 'em", but it actually undermines development at large and is therefore exactly what MS would want, provided we assume their goal is to hurt FOSS. Which it probably is.
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

You don't need to register anywhere to contribute, because you can send patches by email - maybe even sending them via PM or attached to a public message on this board could work.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Astrobe wrote:You don't need to register anywhere to contribute, because you can send patches by email - maybe even sending them via PM or attached to a public message on this board could work.
Yes, you can send patches on thumb drives over snail mail too. That’s not the point. People won’t go back to registering tons of alternative git service accounts to contribute patches when the de facto standard is Github PRs.

(Sorry for OT, it’s my last)

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

If I had a wish, I would like to have (tamed) animals and NPCs/traders to be attracted by certain nodes or bright light.

I built a little village with cattle and some villagers. It would be nice to have them return to their (illuminated) homes and stables when it's getting dark at night.

A similar wish was rejected around 2015 for being too "heavy". But meanwhile there is a function runaway_from, so maybe a walk_to function is possible. :-)

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

The Farlands subgame does something similar: their villagers return to their homes using some sort of path finding IIRC.

Also, NPCs when idle tend to turn towards then nearest PC (or the owner?). As a result, I've observed that a cat with a low walking chance has a tendency to end up at your feet when you don't move. Maybe the "attractor" could be settable?

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

R-One wrote:Hello,
2- another question a lot of mobs get stuck in front of a wall and try to jump or not return with a wide enough angle to start again. is there an opportunity to change that?
I've noticed that too. At some point I tried to implement a second probe in order to let the NPC determine if jumping would do anything, but I failed miserably.

Judging from other similar issues (NPCs rubbing their faces on walls, hostile mobs hitting you through half-nodes such as slabs,...) I suspect there's an issue with the line_of_sight function, either the API one or the MR one which tries hard to go around the shortcomings of the API function. OTOH, the feature that prevents the mobs from jumping from cliffs does work - most of the times. So I don't know what's going on.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Astrobe: Good idea, will look into a "walk_to" feature that can hold specific nodes and hopefully light levels.

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

mobs.version = "20180604"

WARNING[Server]: Assignment to undeclared global "dist" inside a function at .../mobs/api.lua:1463.
WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "tool_caps" accessed at .../mobs/api.lua:2358
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page